General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

StarDeath13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Fuck the haters, if you had fun that's all that matters. Your gun is a lot more accurate than my 10/22, but I can hit rabbit sized target at 50 yards and thats all that matters to me.

When you need a change from paper targets try striped gophers or squirrels. I can get them at about 25 yards, but my ruger isn't accurate enough to do much at range.

coalesce and you both at least said something positive.
Im supposed to leave for WV Tuesday possibly and i plan on taking an afternoon and just sitting on a hillside in a small clearing and dropping anything that moves.
Rodent and pest birds that is. If its a squirrel ill eat the sumbitch.

You would be surprised what your gun could do with a little work on its end and yours also. At least your gun has the biggest aftermarket of any .22 rifle i know of.
But when its just about fun, As long as its good for you then who cares.

I wish i had more time to learn this scope so i could dial it in for 100 yards also, Its not a mil-dot so i have to rely on the knobs.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13 View Post
You would be surprised what your gun could do with a little work on its end and yours also. At least your gun has the biggest aftermarket of any .22 rifle i know of.
But when its just about fun, As long as its good for you then who cares.

Last time I saved up money for 10/22 upgrades I ended up with a Ruger MkIII instead

Not that I'm complaining

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
I can see how bench shooting could be boring to some, But at least it has something happening.

I actually really love bench rest shooting. I have a .308 and .220-swift that I use. Both have less than .5 pound triggers. I'm good with the .220 out to about 600 yards with paper. I need to work on my technique with my .308 to get super repetative grouping at 1000 yards. Id say most of the bench shooting I do that I really enjoy are reactive targets at 100-200 yards.

Quote:
You say my gun isn't conducive of being a bench gun but im told i would have been better off with a 10/22?

For .22lr I'd definately start out with 1" bull barrel at 16" or less. That is an incredibly solid platform to build on. I have seen a factory 10/22T shoot 1/2moa right out of the box with a medium grade leupold scope and the factory 10 round mag.

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
For .22lr I'd definately start out with 1" bull barrel at 16" or less. That is an incredibly solid platform to build on. I have seen a factory 10/22T shoot 1/2moa right out of the box with a medium grade leupold scope and the factory 10 round mag.

Does the magazine actually affect accuracy?

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Does the magazine actually affect accuracy?

Ive heard people complain about the 25 round banana mags causing issues. I dont have any experience that points one way or the other. My 10/22 shoots 1 minute of squirrel no matter what mag I'm using so I'm more than happy with it.

SmashingPumpkins

you're enjoying yourself and that's all that matters.

I like reading this thread.

someone else

Quote:
My 10/22 shoots 1 minute of squirrel no matter what mag I'm using so I'm more than happy with it.

1 minute of squirrel. love it.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

Chilly

Quote:
Ive heard people complain about the 25 round banana mags causing issues. I dont have any experience that points one way or the other. My 10/22 shoots 1 minute of squirrel no matter what mag I'm using so I'm more than happy with it.

Once the bolt strips the round from the mag and closes, I don't see how the mag can do anything to affect accuracy

I'll do an unscientific test shoot later, I wanted an excuse to go shooting anyway

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Once the bolt strips the round from the mag and closes, I don't see how the mag can do anything to affect accuracy

I'll do an unscientific test shoot later, I wanted an excuse to go shooting anyway

I would imagine if it does hold any water it revolves around a large lever against the receiver. If you're tarded enough to rest the rifle on the mag sticking out the bottom I bet it does cause a change in POI.

I learned long ago when someone comes in asking for that super secret ninja mag that cuts your groups down 25 inches at 3 miles in a hurricane you say "third shelf over, second one down".

Chilly

I can hit a golf ball with both mags at 25 yards, good enough for me. I was standing for both shots, not resting the rifle on the mag. I can see how resting the rifle on the mag could change things though.

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
Id rather have a Marlin 60 than any 10/22 if i wanted a gun that was accurate out of the box. You need to spend a bunch of money to get a 10/22 to shoot this well.

No you don't...

I can blast little green army men's heads off at 50 yards all day long with my stock 10/22 and thunderbolt ammo. I've just got a cheap 40 dollar scope on it.

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
No you don't...

I can blast little green army men's heads off at 50 yards all day long with my stock 10/22 and thunderbolt ammo. I've just got a cheap 40 dollar scope on it.

You're telling me you can hit a one centimeter target at 50 yards with a stock rifle and run-of-the-mill ammo?

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
No you don't...

I agree, my stock 10/22 is quite accurate. My wife can put 5 shots in the center ring of a Shoot N See target all day everyday. I can drive a .22 round dead center of a squirrels eyeball just shooting off of a tree branch. All I have is a 3-12x40 Bushnell Sportsman ($80) on it, far more than I think you should spend on a .22 scope but I had the cash so I treated it to some luvin'. I've considered some upgrades and probably will get a Volquarsen trigger group and 18" Green Mountain fluted barrel for it one of these days, but i'm in no rush, it shoots fine as is. Even with those upgrades i'd probably still be well under what you paid for that CZ.

When I really want to shoot groups I'll switch to my old Marlin Model 75 - That thing will put 5 rounds through damn near one hole at 50 yards, and that rifle is so old it doesn't even have a serial number on it, and since I put a Boyd's thumbhole stock on it, it's so comfortable I could spend all day behind it if my ass didn't go numb after an hour or so. That one only has a 3-9x40 Tasco Pronghorn on it.

I'm sure that CZ is a fine shooting gun, but for how ugly and lanky looking it is i'd take a 16" barrel 10/22 over it any day

Edit: All we use is the Federal bulk pack from Wal-Mart, or Mini Mags if I really get in to it.

Last edited by Social Misfit; 06-14-2010 at 07:57 PM..

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

My 10/22 is a stainless 22" pencil barrel. The biggest inheirant improvement I made was having it re-reamed with the .22 bentz or whatever that RFC favorite chamber is. The scope and the VQ trigger made a difference but that was just how I interact with the gun. After that it doesnt much matter what brand ammo I use. They pretty much all group nicely.

Also I'm not sure what the turns are in my barrel but it seems to stabilize the heavy 60 grain SSS rounds. I can generally get 2 or 3 in the mag to feed right and they're BB gun quiet unsupressed.

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
You're telling me you can hit a one centimeter target at 50 yards with a stock rifle and run-of-the-mill ammo?

That's exactly what I'm telling you...

But then again, I can also hit a running caribou through the heart from 400 yards out with a .243

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division