General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

part time media associates are
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...293/story.html

I work part time at best buy and honestly cannot fucking stand 99% of Wii buyers. None of them have a clue what they're buying and all of them ask the same 20 questions that could be answered with 30 seconds on google. Casual gamers are too fickle to be worth catering too... I hope Nintendo continues to eat it big time for that POS console because nothing good has come from it.

I play my Wii once a year, if that. It's sad.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Daddy View Post
part time media associates are
Eh? Did you work at BB or something? I'm guessing you didn't, otherwise you would know the video game dept. isn't called "media."

Probably the easiest part time job I've ever had, not the best money but massive discounts on some good shit anyway... all we basically do is hang out in the video game department and point at stuff when idiots can't find it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
I play it when I can't find a giant dick to stick in my ass and/or mouth... because it's the next closest thing.

ephekt

Quote:
Casual gamers are too fickle to be worth catering too... I hope Nintendo continues to eat it big time for that POS console because nothing good has come from it.
What do you mean by eat it? Are they still losing money on the Wii? I find it hard to believe they'd still be "eating it" when it was the cheapest console to produce and also sold more units than any other console this gen. From their perspective, I doubt a bunch of salty "hardcore gamerz" opinions really matter when their target audience has thrown tons of cash at them.

As for casual gaming in general, there is obviously a market that has been substantiated with sales there. I'm failing to see how the consumers ostensibly being idiots changes that.

Last edited by ephekt; 12-01-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
What do you mean by eat it? Are they still losing money on the Wii? I find it hard to believe they'd still be "eating it" when it was the cheapest console to produce and also sold more units than any other console this gen. From their perspective, I doubt a bunch of salty "hardcore gamerz" opinions really matter when their target audience has thrown tons of cash at them.

As for casual gaming in general, there is obviously a market that has been substantiated with sales there. I'm failing to see how the consumers ostensibly being idiots changes that.
Quarterly profits dropping by 52% compared to the same time last year doesn't count as "eating it" in your book, or did you miss that story? I don't think they're losing money yet but they're definitely learning a lesson from the Wii.

Casual gamers are too busy playing Sudoku and Crash Bandicoot Racing on their iPhones to buy a Wii now, and the PS3 / 360 are only an extra $100 but infinitely more capable. The Wii library of games is utter garbage and Nintendo has admitted that. They called "Wii Sports Resort" a blockbuster title when it was released

G-Daddy

Quote:
Eh? Did you work at BB or something? I'm guessing you didn't, otherwise you would know the video game dept. isn't called "media."

Guess you've been there less than 2 years. my bad.

VapoRub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post

Shockingly, the batteries manage to drain themselves while not even being in use. I put fresh batteries in about 4 months ago, didn't even use it and it's drained. What the heck is going on with that controller when I'm not using it?

ephekt

Quote:
Quarterly profits dropping by 52% compared to the same time last year doesn't count as "eating it" in your book, or did you miss that story?
When the Wii eclipsed every other console in sales for the first ~3 years, and is still only out sold by the DS, no - not really. Even if another Wii is never sold I think they've proved that a casual/family console can work.

Quote:
I don't think they're losing money yet but they're definitely learning a lesson from the Wii.
Indeed. But, based on the evidence, it seems those lessons are: 1) don't put out a "next gen" console without nextgen features 2) actually create a software library.

I'm sorry, but I don't really see how casual gaming killed the Wii when it had other - far more glaring - issues from the very beginning, and a library that would kill even the 360. Casual gamers are what largely drove the Wii sales for ~3 years. As I said, this is an established and financially substantiated market - that's why developers have gone after it, after all. I can't see this changing were new games actually being released. Even the stereotypical casual gamers I know want more stuff like Mario and Zelda and are fed up with stupid party games.

G-Daddy

IMO, with the DS they can afford to experiment with other technologies...

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoRub View Post
Shockingly, the batteries manage to drain themselves while not even being in use. I put fresh batteries in about 4 months ago, didn't even use it and it's drained. What the heck is going on with that controller when I'm not using it?

Yeah, I always forget that I have to take out the batteries when I'm done with my Wii else they'll just drain themselves away. Thank god I bought rechargables.

BlinkerFluid

I bought a wii then bought Zelda. Played Zelda and a few other games, and sold the wii after I realized I don't like playing games that require me to work physically.

It was fun while it lasted. But It ended up being a dust collector.

<*)
(_>_)>
~~~~~ Quack!

3da7296552e0e44d377be3ef6de6baff

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid View Post
I bought a wii then bought Zelda. Played Zelda and a few other games, and sold the wii after I realized I don't like playing games that require me to work physically.
Yeah they really need games that don't use any of the motion features. The only two games I ever bought for the Wii were Guitar Hero (got addicted because my roommate played it constantly) and New Super Mario Bros. They managed to fuck up classic Super Mario by adding a jump feature that requires flicking the controller up... if I wanted to do that type of crap I'd just play Wii Sports

Even Guitar Hero was a pain in the ass because you had to put the Wii remote into the guitar every time you wanted to play, but if you put it in before getting to the game it was a bitch to navigate the menus. I think they eventually made guitars that didn't require the Wii remote but I refuse to buy any multi-platform games for the Wii now

teh scud

Quote:
Yeah they really need games that don't use any of the motion features.

games that don't use motion features are the LAST games i'll ever want to play on Wii. if a game doesn't rely on the motion stuff, it would be better on PS360. that's why i'm so pissed about monster hunter 3 being a wii exclusive -- it feels like i'm being cheated out of a proper next gen monster hunter game.

i still think the wiimote has untapped potential. the problem is that developers are making conventional games and swapping out button presses for motion gestures. games need to be designed, from the ground up, for the wiimote. the promise was NEW types of games -- for the most part (when talking core games), we just got the same games with different controls. the genuinely new gaming experiences are mostly limited to casual games.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
games that don't use motion features are the LAST games i'll ever want to play on Wii. if a game doesn't rely on the motion stuff, it would be better on PS360.
Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo is gonna give up exclusivity on Zelda / Mario games so we can play them with the PS3 or 360 controller

They need to give us the option of using a classic controller on those games, and if you disagree you should have your head examined

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

Take a look at games which had 'normal' controls, then got ported over to the Wii and made to use motion controls.
Games like Twilight Princess, Okami, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, for example. Every single one of them got knocked for having shitty controls, due to the motion .
There needs to be an option to use a 'classic' controller in place of the motion controls.