General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Cannonbear

Picked up some Neo Geo carts

Aside from Magician Lord and NAM 1975 that came with the system, i got World Heroes for my bday, and Samurai Shodown 2, Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury for 75 bucks. Baseball Stars 2 was a little pricey at 100 bucks, but damn its worth it. Now i just need to wait for my Neo Geo to come back from being modded!

No clue what my next carts will be, i was thinking an MVS converter so i can pick up those cheaper carts, but damned if i don't love the way the AES boxes look!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

specialmoose

Nice, how many bones did the system set you back?

I use to have a 2 slot arcade board with 2 carts. Was going to consolize it since at the time the console systems were going for ridiculous prices but sold it on ebay since I already have enough damn projects.

King of Fighters usually go for cheap. Any of the Metal Slugs are a must as well as any of the 19xx/AOF series if your into SHMUPS.

Cannonbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialmoose View Post
Nice, how many bones did the system set you back?

I use to have a 2 slot arcade board with 2 carts. Was going to consolize it since at the time the console systems were going for ridiculous prices but sold it on ebay since I already have enough damn projects.

King of Fighters usually go for cheap. Any of the Metal Slugs are a must as well as any of the 19xx/AOF series if your into SHMUPS.

picked up the system with 2 controllers and Magician Lord and Nam 1975 for 150 bucks! I sent it out to get modded so add another 100 on top of that. My cousin has a single slot cabinet and it's pretty cool, but i have no space for something like that and i love the way the AES looks next to my ps3.

KOF's do run pretty cheap after some searching, i think i'll pick some of those up next. the Metal Slugs are damn expensive on the AES so i think getting the MVS converter is a good choice.

BPJ

Modded for whut?

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.

Cannonbear

the system is being modded fors-video output, stereo sound and acustom bios so i can have unlimted credits/blood/language, etc.

saferkefka

i think the mvs adapter is a must.

here are the mvs carts i have for my two slot arcade.
sam sho 1
sam sho 2
sam sho 3
snk vs capcom
fatal fury
wakuwaku 7
kof 00
kof 98
kof 97
baseball stars
world heros 2
last blade
puzzle de pon
magical drop 2

at $69, snk vs capcom was the most expensive game i've purchased. the cheapest game i have is baseball stars, which was 5 bucks.

Kintoun

Are these the carts that you can just plug into the arcade machines and play?

Also grats on Samurai Shodown 2, my fav fighting game of all time.

Cannonbear

yes the neo geo arcade machine used huge carts to run the games, "mvs carts". the home system (or aes) can play the arcade carts with a converter.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

I always wanted an AES but the cart price always dissuaded me. I did get a CDZ and it seems to have all the same games. I think I have about 30 now.

Cannonbear

i have the cdz controllers on my AES and i LOVE them. So much better then the joysticks. I just couldn't handle the cdz's load time, i tolerate it on my ps3, not on my Neo Geo haha

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonbear View Post
i have the cdz controllers on my AES and i LOVE them. So much better then the joysticks. I just couldn't handle the cdz's load time, i tolerate it on my ps3, not on my Neo Geo haha

I dont remember it being terrible. Similar to PS1 load times.

crumbaker

Why would you spend all that money when this can be emulated? Obviously you are buying used so it's not like you're cheating the developers out of any money. Are shiny boxes and seeing a console in front of you worth that much?

You could have bought an extra pc to hook up to your tv that does a million other things on top of emulation.

You can argue that you are a collector, but you are essentially collecting mass produced plastic with a picture on it. Hope it was worth it.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
Why would you spend all that money when this can be emulated? Obviously you are buying used so it's not like you're cheating the developers out of any money. Are shiny boxes and seeing a console in front of you worth that much?

You could have bought an extra pc to hook up to your tv that does a million other things on top of emulation.

You can argue that you are a collector, but you are essentially collecting mass produced plastic with a picture on it. Hope it was worth it.

The same reason I game primarily on consoles now. I dont have to worry about compatiblity or system performance or if my latest upgrade broke some of my old games. I plug it in and turn it on. It works every time.

isugoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
The same reason I game primarily on consoles now. I dont have to worry about compatiblity or system performance or if my latest upgrade broke some of my old games. I plug it in and turn it on. It works every time.

There's no need to upgrade. When I setup an "emulation station" I got everything working how I wanted and then left it alone. I had a frontend load on startup and could control that with the controllers. Plug it in, turn it on. Works every time.
Not that I espouse emulators over the real thing. Collecting can be fun.

Cannonbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post

It was worth it thanks. I'm no collector, i just always wanted a Neo Geo and now i have one.

I've done the emulation thing, don't really care for it. Maybe i'd make a Mame cabinet but even that seems like too much work.