General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

best MMO graphics ever

is this one gonna be a one-time buy like the first was?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

theNoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
best MMO graphics ever

is this one gonna be a one-time buy like the first was?

If you mean, no monthly fee's.. then yes.

Forever Domon

Im not an MMO player, but those environments looks great. Ive noticed a couple trends in games recently that make things look a lot better

#1) Stuff blowing in the air, giving a sense of movement and life to everything (MW2, this, a couple other games)
#2) Really big backdrops, stuff that looks like its miles away, but is still really detailed (halo3, this, mw2)

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retardedchicken View Post
I know the game is more pvp oriented, but that was a letdown to me hitting level 20 in a few days of semi-casual playing, a higher cap fixes it though this is awesome news.

You are not alone popping a woody to that trailer.
Why? Level cap had no bearing on the game play, and that was the entire point. Level only matters if the mobs get higher, or if you want to spend your life grinding an arbitrary progress bar.

I'm actually disappointing to see them caving to the WoW types this go around. I liked that the game was based around skill rather than gear or time dedicated.

VapoRub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
Why? Level cap had no bearing on the game play, and that was the entire point. Level only matters if the mobs get higher, or if you want to spend your life grinding an arbitrary progress bar.

I'm actually disappointing to see them caving to the WoW types this go around. I liked that the game was based around skill rather than gear or time dedicated.

I also personally lost motivation upon reaching the level cap. I didn't see a point to collecting more skills because I wasn't interested in gaining skills just to get more skills. Something felt off despite it having a decent story progression. I really can't quantify why, because I liked it for the first 20 levels, but just fell away afterward.

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoRub View Post
I didn't see a point to collecting more skills because I wasn't interested in gaining skills just to get more skills.
But you're interested in gaining levels just to gain levels? Levels only matter if the game places an importance on them (in MMOs this is to keep poopsockers interested enough to keep paying the monthly fee), but GW didn't. The entire point of the game was to focus on player skill (figuring out skill/class combinations and just raw play skill) rather than offering a means to "get better" at the game simply by spending a bunch of time grinding.

I guess I can see how people coming from games like WoW expect to be rewarded for time sinks, but that wasn't the point and the game play was way better off for it. Just compare GW pvp to whatever passes for pvp in the average MMO.

VapoRub

As I said, I can't quantify it. I guess I level to the cap in games because it signifies an end point as a minimal achievement. Puzzle games exempt, I don't often find I keep at games for the fun of keeping at it. I only started playing WoW last year and quit once I hit the cap. Randomly playing for a month recently out of curiosity to try dual boxing. I played Guild Wars when it first came out 3 years ago, pre-ordered the Collector's edition and everything. I was going to college so the point for me was the 'no fees' thing. Beforehand I played games like Final Fantasy and Ragnarok Online. Also stopped at the level cap.

I never really worry much about developing/mastering game knowledge/skills anymore. Something clicked a long time ago in my head and I started skipping coins when playing Super Mario. Seemed like I got guilty about the time I spent in games and really just want to play them and finish them as fast as possible. I mean I hear you guys and I get what the game is supposed to be about, but for me and several others, the selling point at the time was really that it had no fees and all the other features were just marketing terms to get our friends on the bandwagon. I half expected when I reached that cap that I would have a reason to keep playing, but I just found the motivation disappear.

Anyways, I was feeling nostalgic so I installed the game to try really quickly. Turns out I'm the leader and sole member of a guild now and I have some kind of guild hall. I'm actually having a hard time with the control scheme. Is there a way to modify the mouse/turning speed and have the free look always on? Also I have no idea how to play my main character.

Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoRub View Post
As I said, I can't quantify it. I guess I level to the cap in games because it signifies an end point as a minimal achievement. Puzzle games exempt, I don't often find I keep at games for the fun of keeping at it. I only started playing WoW last year and quit once I hit the cap. Randomly playing for a month recently out of curiosity to try dual boxing. I played Guild Wars when it first came out 3 years ago, pre-ordered the Collector's edition and everything. I was going to college so the point for me was the 'no fees' thing. Beforehand I played games like Final Fantasy and Ragnarok Online. Also stopped at the level cap.

I never really worry much about developing/mastering game knowledge/skills anymore. Something clicked a long time ago in my head and I started skipping coins when playing Super Mario. Seemed like I got guilty about the time I spent in games and really just want to play them and finish them as fast as possible. I mean I hear you guys and I get what the game is supposed to be about, but for me and several others, the selling point at the time was really that it had no fees and all the other features were just marketing terms to get our friends on the bandwagon. I half expected when I reached that cap that I would have a reason to keep playing, but I just found the motivation disappear.

Anyways, I was feeling nostalgic so I installed the game to try really quickly. Turns out I'm the leader and sole member of a guild now and I have some kind of guild hall. I'm actually having a hard time with the control scheme. Is there a way to modify the mouse/turning speed and have the free look always on? Also I have no idea how to play my main character.

I understand what you're saying but guildwars 1 (and therefore I'll assume 2) had a solid single player story. Who cares what the level cap is. If you just want to finish the game, there's an actual end to reach regardless of the level.

odd
I make it rain on them hoes.

Loved GW1, will no doubt pick this up
Only users lose drugs

worldspawn

guild wars sucks

theNoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldspawn View Post
guild wars sucks

Kintoun

"best game evar"?
"this is what wow isn't"?

WTF are you all talking about? Didn't you learn your lesson from Aion? Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. And it took years for GW1 to get some freaking content in there.

acey

GW1 was a pvp game.

edit: and a fucking fantastic pvp game at that.

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintoun View Post
"best game evar"?
"this is what wow isn't"?

WTF are you all talking about? Didn't you learn your lesson from Aion? Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. And it took years for GW1 to get some freaking content in there.
What are YOU talking about? GW pvp was awesome from day one.

Kintoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
What are YOU talking about? GW pvp was awesome from day one.
It was amazing for a bit. Then the devs started concentrating on the PVE experience and people stated hemorrhaging left and right. The PVP mechanics were great (other than some nasty balance issues), but people quickly realized there was no point to PVP other than just doing it for the "fun factor". And as we know from every failed MMO you need rewards to survive now. GW eventually did add that in, but it was long after everyone moved on.

I want to see more than graphical improvements to get excited over. I want to hear what they learned from all the failed MMOs out there.

Ninja edit: "GW isn't a MMO"