General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintoun View Post
It was amazing for a bit. Then the devs started concentrating on the PVE experience and people stated hemorrhaging left and right. The PVP mechanics were great (other than some nasty balance issues),
I want to see more than graphical improvements to get excited over. I want to hear what they learned from all the failed MMOs out there.

Ninja edit: "GW isn't a MMO"
Yeah, I played the game too. As for pvp, I enjoyed it well into Factions, quit, and then came back post-Nightfall, realized how retarded the game had become, ladder/champ farmed for a bit then finally quit. I'm not sure what level you played at, but there was never any shortage in the GvG community. Plenty of people left, but the #GWP/beta/IQ/QQ group stuck around until I finally quit. Some of them still play (David from IA, Recon, Divine Muse etc).

Quote:
but people quickly realized there was no point to PVP other than just doing it for the "fun factor". And as we know from every failed MMO you need rewards to survive now. GW eventually did add that in, but it was long after everyone moved on.
Fun is why games exist, and GW really isn't an MMO. t wasn't built to cater to grind/time sink/trophy poopsockers. The pvp was skill-based so there was no need to allow people to "get better" by devoting their life to the game. Only skill and mechanic knowledge mattered, and that's exactly why the pvp community loved it and pve players hated it. Ultimately, it was a good thing. I really hope they don't cater to the typical MMO player in GW2s pvp.

That said, I don't know what you expected, but we GvGed for the fun and prizes... well, that and because tombs sucked after all the good players left for GvG anyway.

Last edited by ephekt; 12-10-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
The pvp was skill-based so there was no need to allow people to "get better" by devoting their life to the game. Only skill and mechanic knowledge mattered, and that's exactly why the pvp community loved it and pve players hated it.

Huge reason why I played. You can get maxed out pvp armor easily so everyone was on even ground. Skills like Bull's Strike, Distracting Shot, Powerblock, Diversion makes me love the game so much <3.