General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

gribly

Nissan's new GT-R LM NISMO

So, Nissan has this fancy new race-car they've built, and it's aerodynamics are NUTS. It's the equivalent of a razor blade cutting through the air compared to the competition. All kinds of craziness under the hood, too. 1500hp combined hybrid system that uses a high-rpm flywheel to store energy and send it out the rear tires, while the actual engine powers the front tires. So yeah, it's a front wheel drive LMP1-H.

Check out the air tunnels, the car is hollow where other teams have their cars stuffed with radiators and an engine.

Hope the driver knows the track well, I doubt the visibility is any good with those huge fenders!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...gt-r-lm-nismo/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Typhoon43

Thing looks absolutely batshit crazy. We'll see how it does with the Wrong Wheel drive setup.

gribly

One of their guys said there won't be another rule change for two years, and they are going to try and exploit that and win with this new drivetrain. I guess the transmission still doesn't even exist yet, so the one they made for testing blew up filming the Nissan commercial. Same guy also hinted the GTR sold to the public will benefit from the "flybrid" ( it's a flywheel hybrid) drivetrain.

brown card

This really shouldn't be a hard act to follow...

Colonel Sanders

I would like to see an unlimited series for racing, where there are literally NO rules for the cars themselves. MAYBE a budgetary limit of some kind. But other than that, make a unicycle, a 10 wheeled tank, whatever the fuck you think will get around the track the fastest, do it. Imagine the crazy shit we would see with some high budget development.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
I would like to see an unlimited series for racing, where there are literally NO rules for the cars themselves. MAYBE a budgetary limit of some kind. But other than that, make a unicycle, a 10 wheeled tank, whatever the fuck you think will get around the track the fastest, do it. Imagine the crazy shit we would see with some high budget development.

Thats how drivers get killed, too much liability. I think this is about as radical as race cars get right now. I just want to know if the flywheel for the hybrid system is going to do anything weird with handling when it's fully spooled, since the hardest cornering will be done with the flywheel at it's highest rpms I would think. Other than that, if they can get a transmission for this thing that doesn't blow up just filing a commercial, it's going to lay down the rape.

brown card

Quote:

"this car ran a 7:23:130 around the nurbur..gringshelifesoemthingnring"

"our car ran it in 7:22:392"

"but you cheated and used this tire which is technically not road legal in some places"

"nou"

sucks

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:

We already found the hard way that's just not a good idea. As soon as somenoe makes a change that has a positive effect, everyone else adopts it. Pretty soon you have rocket ships that teleport A-to-B, and any minor miscalculation means you fly away and turn into pieces. They had to ditch ABS from F1 because people's eyes were getting blood shot from the negative Gs, they were approaching corners at such high speeds... Same goes for displacement limits and all that.

I want to see a higher production number requirement, ie real cars being raced with only maybe a cage and a fire suppression system being added. With something other than an oval too - hills, turns, the works.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Thing looks absolutely batshit crazy. We'll see how it does with the Wrong Wheel drive setup.

If the rear wheels receive power it's not really a fwd. I'd like to find out more, like what the torque split is and what the benefits are, beyond AWD.

in the future everything bad-ass will have AWD with electric motors on each end, unlinked. Simple, and effective.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

"it sends power to the front-mounted transmission through a driveshaft that runs through the engine's V, and also sends its power rearward through the aforementioned driveshaft cutout in the floor."

"Picture the loooooong driveshaft extending from the front of the car to the back of the car, terminating at the rear axle line. It connects to a differential housing that scales upward—high enough for driveshafts to reach across and over the through-flow aero tunnels. Those driveshafts connect to individual gearboxes that also sit in tall housings. With the high differential housing connected to the high outrigger gearboxes via driveshafts, the rear wheels are turned by short driveshafts from the base of the gearboxes."

They are playing up the FWD concept for FWD drivers, that really doesn't strike me as anything you can correctly call FWD

Also the front engine layout doesn't surprise me. Ever throw a dart backwards? Rear is the WORST place for a motor. Mid-rear can be equally bad. Exact center is impossible. Mid-front and mid-rear work best depending on execution. I've read some long-windeded technical papers about how mid engined cars don't necessarily have an advantage over FR, it all comes down to details.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
"it sends power to the front-mounted transmission through a driveshaft that runs through the engine's V, and also sends its power rearward through the aforementioned driveshaft cutout in the floor."

"Picture the loooooong driveshaft extending from the front of the car to the back of the car, terminating at the rear axle line. It connects to a differential housing that scales upward—high enough for driveshafts to reach across and over the through-flow aero tunnels. Those driveshafts connect to individual gearboxes that also sit in tall housings. With the high differential housing connected to the high outrigger gearboxes via driveshafts, the rear wheels are turned by short driveshafts from the base of the gearboxes."

They are playing up the FWD concept for FWD drivers, that really doesn't strike me as anything you can correctly call FWD

Also the front engine layout doesn't surprise me. Ever throw a dart backwards? Rear is the WORST place for a motor. Mid-rear can be equally bad. Exact center is impossible. Mid-front and mid-rear work best depending on execution. I've read some long-windeded technical papers about how mid engined cars don't necessarily have an advantage over FR, it all comes down to details.

Front is powered by engine, 600hp to front wheels. Rear wheels are powered by the hybrid system, which give up to three seconds of the equivalent of 1000hp straight to the tires. It is most definitely a FWD monster.

ben416

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Front is powered by engine, 600hp to front wheels. Rear wheels are powered by the hybrid system, which give up to three seconds of the equivalent of 1000hp straight to the tires. It is most definitely a FWD monster.

Torque steer... lol. That being said, I bet the handling must be quite a bit different from its competitors. Especially when the rear wheels kick in!

Edit, just saw a commercial for a BMW i3 on TV for the first time. As they put it, "No engine under the hood, carbon fiber frame." I wonder how the frame will handle an impact?

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben416 View Post
Torque steer... lol. That being said, I bet the handling must be quite a bit different from its competitors. Especially when the rear wheels kick in!

Edit, just saw a commercial for a BMW i3 on TV for the first time. As they put it, "No engine under the hood, carbon fiber frame." I wonder how the frame will handle an impact?

Better than anything else pretty much. Other supercars with similar construction fair amazingly well for occupant safety.