General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tab_diagonal
yo quiero taco bell

Take some defence gun classes, edumacate yourselves on the guns you own.

Took the first class of these series.

It was pretty awesome.

The second class involves fast moving targets and stuff,

After completion of the second stage class,
and they'd allow you to go in where the cops practice,
and shoot rapid fire with fast draw from the holster.

http://reedsindoorrange.com/training.html

http://reedsindoorrange.com/training.html

http://www.yfainc.com/

Last edited by Tab_diagonal; 04-28-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

I recommend going hunting and seeing what it's actually like to kill other large mammals. you can shoot at all the targets you want but you won't understand why it's important to be a good shot until you come up on your deer or elk that you dropped with a poor shot and it's squirming and making noise and shit.

Tab_diagonal
yo quiero taco bell

Been hunting and shooting animals since I was yay-tall.

My parents ditched me and my brother at my grandparents in the summers,
I learned a lot from the old folk in the mountains.

These days: I spent 5 years in Mountain Home, ID, 4 years as military, 1 as a civilian.

Spent a lot of weekends and time off in the mountains there, it was great.

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab_diagonal View Post

Been hunting and shooting animals since I was yay-tall.

My parents ditched me and my brother at my grandparents in the summers,
I learned a lot from the old folk in the mountains.

These days: I spent 5 years in Mountain Home, ID, 4 years as military, 1 as a civilian.

Spent a lot of weekends and time off in the mountains there, it was great.

good.

by the way mountain home is full of yokels. eastern idaho is way tougher.

Tab_diagonal
yo quiero taco bell

I agree, the town folk were generally drunkards and farmers sprinkled with the occasional whore.

Anyone that goes into the mountains year-round is tough as nails though.
Them there mountains are no joke, especially in the winter.

Therapist
IMNobody's last title

I need to find a place like this in Atlanta. Shooting stationary paper targets isn't much of a challenge once you get your group sizes down and consistent. At this point I can shoot pretty rapidly (2-3 rounds a second) and still group them well... still a total joke in comparison to quick draw and moving targets though

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

I'm already properly trained in the use of all of my firearms

DrMabuse

Training is a good thing for sure. Being familiar with where the weapon is and retrieving it under great stress.

Most of it is in the mind though, when the highly unlikely situation occurs when a firearm is needed for defense.

It's mostly in the mind. Not in some 'action hero' use of a weapon.

The best shots on the firing range. Men that could hit with a pistol at 75 yards, which is a hell of a shot. Had no correlation to actual combat shooting, in fact they did more poorly than men who did not shoot paper as well. These officers cumulatively had a 34% hit ratio in actual stress shootings when the opponent was at 3 feet or less. From 6 to 15 feet that hit ratio dropped to 9%. These are trained police officers in a study of every shooting encounter by the NYPD over a 120 year period. 254 officers died at ranges less than 10 feet, because traditional training goes out the window at that range. 5% of those 254 death were fomr a knife used by the opponent with an armed policeman.

The great majority of shootings took place at less than 15 feet and were decided in a second or so. There was not a single officer who reporting even trying to use the sights at the range the majority of shooting took place. Nor did they use any 'tac lights' or holding the flashlight in a 'tactical' fashion. The ones that survived anyway. Sight alignment was reported in a minority of incidents where the range wentout to 20 feet and beyond.

Fast reloading was used 6% of the time, These were cases where a subject had barricaded themselves in, or were beyond the 25 foot 'death zone'.

This is a very realistic shooting encounter here, the coach for this scene did a great job. There is no aiming, no time to aim. Just point shooting and fast, effective point shooting at that. This is the most realistic shooting scene I've ever seen in a movie.

BORKED

Remember that when standing at a range practicing. You need to point shoot to be effective, just like the men in the 'old west' learned, just like the US Army manual says. If you were to even consider using sight alignment for self defense you would most likely seal your fate.

If you want to get training, get training on point shooting and combat shooting after you get familiar with your weapon at a range. Most encounters in a home or other likely scenario will be at less than 10 feet.

"What is difficult? It is difficult to learn something about yourself." - Thales of Miletus

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

haha, I love that scene. Probably the most bad ass Tom Cruise has ever been.