General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
MrBojangels
 
Looking for HBAR AR-15

Well due to the most fucking retarded gun law in Maryland, the only "Assault Rifle" that any person under the age of 21 is allowed to own is an AR-15, but only if it is configured with a heavy barrel(and depending the individual interpretation of the law it may have to be Colt branded, but the law also states elsewhere all imitations are included in the law for the ban, so it would count the HBAR exception as well) But the worst part is, once that person under the age of 21 purchases an HBAR AR-15 he may LEGALLY swap out the barrel with any one he purchases, as long as he doesn't sell the weapon or transfer it in that configuration before he reaches 21 .

I was wondering what brands sell HBAR configured AR-15s(must state HBAR on the gun), how the prices compare, and how your opinions are on them? I see a lot of people who feel brands like Bushmaster are poorly made who also say Colt is the only way to go, is it worth the extra money? Is there any way to purchase an AR-15 with an M4 carbine style configuration with the shorter barrel and adjustable stock and still have it classified as HBAR?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 AM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

monkey-boy
 
monkey-boy's Avatar
 
i own ar's from both colt and rra, And to be honest id wager my dcm grade rra prb has a heavier barrel on it than my 6601 and 6700 colts do.

But as far as i know the word "hbar" is strictly a colt thing. Ive never seen that term stamped on any other brand of ar.

but hell i could very easily be wrong.
__________________
They know it, they know we know, we know they know we know. Everyone knows.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 AM monkey-boy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

MrBojangels
 
Where is the best place to purchase an AR-15? Should I look for an HBAR online, or is it better to just go to gun shows? Is there any reason to go with a new rifle over a used one?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

monkey-boy
 
monkey-boy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangels View Post
Where is the best place to purchase an AR-15? Should I look for an HBAR online, or is it better to just go to gun shows? Is there any reason to go with a new rifle over a used one?

new or used doesn't really matter in all honesty its personal preference.
you can do it at a show but just be aware that you may have a slightly greater possibility of get soaked.

personally id recommend just going to a local dealer, they can always order you one.
__________________
They know it, they know we know, we know they know we know. Everyone knows.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM monkey-boy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

MrBojangels
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-boy View Post
new or used doesn't really matter in all honesty its personal preference.
you can do it at a show but just be aware that you may have a slightly greater possibility of get soaked.

personally id recommend just going to a local dealer, they can always order you one.

Is there any place that I can request to purchase a Colt with a specific style barrel? So instead of me paying $1150 for a Colt AR-15 and another $400 for a new upper(HBAR as well) can I just get an AR-15 that comes with that specific upper for a discounted price?
Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

MrBojangels
 
Also sorry I cant edit my last post, but am I right to assume that you can not fire 5.56mm rounds in a Colt AR-15? All of the ones listed on their site say .223 Remington.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

monkey-boy
 
monkey-boy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangels View Post
Is there any place that I can request to purchase a Colt with a specific style barrel? So instead of me paying $1150 for a Colt AR-15 and another $400 for a new upper(HBAR as well) can I just get an AR-15 that comes with that specific upper for a discounted price?

generally speaking dealers dont like to mix and match guns parts. as it leaves them hanging in the wind with parts they may have trouble selling later.

and ive been shooting civi and and gi issue ammo through my guns interchangeably for decades w/o issue
__________________
They know it, they know we know, we know they know we know. Everyone knows.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 PM monkey-boy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

28_days
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangels View Post
Also sorry I cant edit my last post, but am I right to assume that you can not fire 5.56mm rounds in a Colt AR-15? All of the ones listed on their site say .223 Remington.

.223 and 5.56 are loaded to different pressures.

Generally a match barrel will be .223, will all "normal" AR15s will be 5.56. You can shoot .223 or 5.56 out of a 5.56 barrel, but only .223 out of a .223 barrel. This is because 5.56 is loaded to a much higher pressure, and this could cause massive failures in a .223 barrel.
__________________
Best Regards,
28_days
Old 04-19-2009, 10:03 PM 28_days is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

MrBojangels
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28_days View Post
.223 and 5.56 are loaded to different pressures.

Generally a match barrel will be .223, will all "normal" AR15s will be 5.56. You can shoot .223 or 5.56 out of a 5.56 barrel, but only .223 out of a .223 barrel. This is because 5.56 is loaded to a much higher pressure, and this could cause massive failures in a .223 barrel.

I'm aware, but none of the AR-15's listed on Colt's site say 5.56mm
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/rifles.asp
Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 PM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

monkey-boy
 
monkey-boy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangels View Post
I'm aware, but none of the AR-15's listed on Colt's site say 5.56mm
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/rifles.asp

my colts never had a problem eating it
__________________
They know it, they know we know, we know they know we know. Everyone knows.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM monkey-boy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Blisster
^^^ZOMG, my gf is hawt!
 
Blisster's Avatar
 
I have a 20" HBAR A3 upper made by Armalite. It was pretty expensive due to the current frenzy of buying, but not prohibitively so.
__________________
go fuck yourself Gen[M]ay.

Bay[A]rea represent
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM Blisster is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.