General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
you know blowby gasses are pretty corrosive, right?

Is gasoline corrosive? Maybe the ethanol in the fuel, but that's about it. Plus, the oil that's traveling with it will negate the corrosive effects.

As I said above, I've done this more than once on prior vehicles without trouble--hell, even on this one: see picture above of the old inlet elbow with steel wool in it, and note that it's NOT corroded or disintegrating.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
did you just lose all common sense and become TheWitlessLegend??

Did you miss the little piece called a "sintered brass filter"? That has VERY small orifices--smaller than the steel wool. So, the chances of anything getting past is very, very, very small. I've done similar with other PCV systems without the separator, and it works well, and I've never had anything get into the intake tract,

I've seen those before, back when I did the separator/PCV reroute; they're NOT cheap, and still require some sort of filter to get what gets past the cyclone section.

The best thing possible for my engine is the L&S oil separator, which actually returns separated oil back to the valve cover. They work very well, and don't cost close to what yours does.

That L&S piece is an approximation of what i posted. They separate the oil and return it to the crank case. E36 to the dipstick, e90 to valve cover.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

I did some quick googling to try and determine the composition of blowby gas, but I couldn't find much.

I have read it's corrosive... I mean, it's a bunch of moisture, milky fucked up contaminated oil, unburnt fuel, then whatever fucked up gasses leak past the rings and valve guides, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons, particulates, etc. It's definitely nasty shit, which is why OEM's go through such lengths to suck it back into the motor to get rid of it instead of dumping it or letting it build up.

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

No, the reason they go through such lengths to suck it back into the motor is because it's legislated that they do so; you know, "wah, unburned hydrocarbons" and all.

We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
That L&S piece is an approximation of what i posted. They separate the oil and return it to the crank case. E36 to the dipstick, e90 to valve cover.

Yes, I'm aware: when I did my research into this, the engineering research at the time was headed toward separators more like the BMW unit than the L&S, with fiberglass filter elements, that were designed to have a service life and be disposable. Mercedes was leading that research iirc; and the reasoning was to get the oil infiltration out of the airstream, more for preserving the catalytic converter than emissions, but both were considerations. I even had a link to a company that was making aftermarket units that were running in excess of $350 each.

When one be po' folk, one has to do what one must.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Y'all are both right: and see above. They'd rather the stuff NOT get into the combustion chamber at all, but they want the crankcase vented and under vacuum, so they're working to achieve both that also meets the letter of the law. ALOT better to filter the oil and particulates (which get bound up with the oil mist) and suck the unburnt hydrocarbons into the intake airstream, than to let it all get into the combustion chamber.

--John Hobbs

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
No, the reason they go through such lengths to suck it back into the motor is because it's legislated that they do so; you know, "wah, unburned hydrocarbons" and all.
GM voluntarily put PCV valves on all their cars years before it was legislated... just sayin.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
GM voluntarily put PCV valves on all their cars years before it was legislated... just sayin.

, they got arm-twisted into it, or to avoid something expensive happening.

Remember those black oil stripes down the middle of the road back in the day?? Came from PCV evacuation from a pitot tube that hung down under the engine to force some crankcase evacuation.

--John Hobbs

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Y'all are both right: and see above. They'd rather the stuff NOT get into the combustion chamber at all, but they want the crankcase vented and under vacuum, so they're working to achieve both that also meets the letter of the law. ALOT better to filter the oil and particulates (which get bound up with the oil mist) and suck the unburnt hydrocarbons into the intake airstream, than to let it all get into the combustion chamber.

Vacuum in the crank case helps the rings seal and raises compression. Some people even run axillary vac pumps for this, so yes very important indeed.

Not having a bunch of shit stuck all over your plenum is a good thing too. The only problem with those separators is they get gummed up after time - mine is kinda hard to get to eithout pulling the manifold Hope yours is out in the open...

[H]ard|On

Quote:

It helps with performance, believe it or not. If you don't want that stuff going into the combustion chamber, run a vac pump or a filter - that's all. having vacuum in the crank case is important though. The old draft tubes tex is talking about were pointed backwards and the movement of the vehicle created negative pressure pulling air out. We've come a long way since then, plus not letting it go all over the road is always a good thing!

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

I have a 2400 baud modem, a finicky phone line, and I don't smoke. This thread is totally unacceptable.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

CharyouTree

Speaking of which, I've been thinking about one of these, which is recently released. I know it's expensive, but it looks good in the engine compartment, and that video shows it separating quite a bit of shit, though I don't know how long a timeframe they were actually doing that under.

http://store.blackforestindustries.c...uclcaoils.html

Thoughts?

153DCI (Blackhawk pilot/Instructor Pilot/Tactical Operations)

"Be polite, be professional, be prepared to kill everyone in the room."

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharyouTree View Post
Speaking of which, I've been thinking about one of these, which is recently released. I know it's expensive, but it looks good in the engine compartment, and that video shows it separating quite a bit of shit, though I don't know how long a timeframe they were actually doing that under.

http://store.blackforestindustries.c...uclcaoils.html

Thoughts?

Nice, it really looks good. How much is it? If its really that good, I might adapt one over to my vehicle...

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Vacuum in the crank case helps the rings seal and raises compression. Some people even run axillary vac pumps for this, so yes very important indeed.

Not having a bunch of shit stuck all over your plenum is a good thing too. The only problem with those separators is they get gummed up after time - mine is kinda hard to get to eithout pulling the manifold .

And you wonder why I keep ragging you over BMWs in general??

I've been saying this for a LONG time, and I wage the same basic battle on the Lightning forums, where they try ALL SORTS of to control oil intrusion into the intakes: ranging from sticking a dime into the PCV tube going to the intake (), through eliminating the PCV lines and putting in breather caps (smelly engine compartment and smell in the cab), to catch cans and a vacuum line plumbed in the strangest places ().

I'll probably have another look at this this weekend, see how things are working.

Quote:
Hope yours is out in the open..
Did you even LOOK at the pics???

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I have a 2400 baud modem, a finicky phone line, and I don't smoke. This thread is totally unacceptable.

, take up smoking. 420 all the way!

--John Hobbs