General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Singingstallion

The whale species that are being fished are not endangered.

If people are willing to pay for the meat, let the fishermen do their thing and let economics take its course.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingstallion View Post
Saw an episode where those retards started some shit and threw bottles of bad smelling acid at a whaling boat. Then the whalers threw flash bang grenades right back and the fatass hippie captain and his crew of dipshits responded by a chorus of "whaaa whaaa how dare you use violence against us!". The whalers really should use stingball grenades instead.

I just can't wait until the "Steve Irwin" sinks. And I have a feeling it will.

The thing is, I don't necessarily disagree with the cause of opposing whaling... but the methods are pathetic.

That captain is exploiting the zeal and ignorance of those kids. He is encouraging them to put themselves in unnecessary dangerous situations without proper training and equipment.

Sending kids with hardly any maritime experience out on zodiacs in the antarctic without working radios?
Driving in the bergs with a class zero ship?

He's going to kill one of those kids and possibly sink his ship.

Mainstream America supporting the Sea Shepherds is the kind of thing that leads to things like Rodney Coronado firebombing laboratories.

However, I loved the last episode I saw where the Japanese were using LRAD and tailing the Steve Irwin to see its actual capabilities.

The kids on the boat held up dead satellite dishes to pretend they had their own LRAD...

Then the Japanese just started killing whales left and right when they realized the Sea Shepherds didn't have any real means to stop them.

Last edited by Zangmonkey; 08-14-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
The whale species that are being fished are not endangered.

If people are willing to pay for the meat, let the fishermen do their thing and let economics take its course.

Economics is long term, extinction can happen fast.

Some species of whales have been close to extinction due solely to whaling, not loss of habitat or environmental changes (like many other "endangered" species")
In some cases, oversight groups are useful

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post

Some species of whales have been close to extinction due solely to whaling, not loss of habitat or environmental changes (like many other "endangered" species")

Yep...It doesn't take long to wipe out a species once commercial greed takes over. If it wasn't for these people at the very least shadowing those ships there is no telling how many they would take, no matter what the law says.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post

Actually the #1 cause of whale deaths is NOT whaling, it's getting hit by commercial ships because the whales swim in commercial shipping lanes. (According to the World Wide Fund for Nature, before someone rips off my head for not quoting a source lol)

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Actually the #1 cause of whale deaths is NOT whaling, it's getting hit by commercial ships because the whales swim in commercial shipping lanes. (According to the World Wide Fund for Nature, before someone rips off my head for not quoting a source lol)

It's not our shipping lane, it's their home first and foremost. They were there long before we as a species even existed.

You guys watching this shit tonight? Even if they didn't say a word this entire show, it wouldn't matter...That shit is wrong, plain and simple. Morally, environmentally, commercially, and every other word I can't think of right now. They should not be doing this. I can kill a deer without blinking, but watching this makes me want to join them for their next campaign. I mean...First they run them down to make sure they can't fight, then they harpoon them...Then if that doesn't kill it they shoot it with a rifle until it goes belly up. That doesn't even qualify as inhumane, thats damn near fucking barbaric. At least when I put down a deer, I make sure it's dead after the first shot. No misses, no second shots.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Misfit View Post
It's not our shipping lane, it's their home first and foremost. They were there long before we as a species even existed.

You guys watching this shit tonight? Even if they didn't say a word this entire show, it wouldn't matter...That shit is wrong, plain and simple. Morally, environmentally, commercially, and every other word I can't think of right now. They should not be doing this. I can kill a deer without blinking, but watching this makes me want to join them for their next campaign. I mean...First they run them down to make sure they can't fight, then they harpoon them...Then if that doesn't kill it they shoot it with a rifle until it goes belly up. That doesn't even qualify as inhumane, thats damn near fucking barbaric. At least when I put down a deer, I make sure it's dead after the first shot. No misses, no second shots.

So what do you suggest, us not shipping things because whales run in to the side of our boats?

Are you suggesting that we give the whale a rifle or something so they can fight back? No shit they aren't going to let it swim away with a harpoon sticking out of it's side, the whale would die and nothing would be gained.

And I'd love to hear what you'd propose to hunt the whales with that'd kill them with one shot. I can't think of anything short of some sort of RPG, and then you'd just have whale bits everywhere.

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post

So what do you suggest, us not shipping things because whales run in to the side of our boats?

Are you suggesting that we give the whale a rifle or something so they can fight back? No shit they aren't going to let it swim away with a harpoon sticking out of it's side, the whale would die and nothing would be gained.

And I'd love to hear what you'd propose to hunt the whales with that'd kill them with one shot. I can't think of anything short of some sort of RPG, and then you'd just have whale bits everywhere.

No, i'm not you fucking retard. I'm saying that there are alot of things on this planet that have been doing their thing since the damn thing formed up. Complaining that a 100,000year old species is interfereing with our 150-year old propeller-driven vessels is pretty fucking stupid.

And in my opinion, if you can't kill it dead with a giant high-powered ship mounted harpoon gun, you shouldn't be hunting it. But then again, what these people are doing isn't hunting...It's slaughter.

And yes, I know that thousands of cattle are slaughtered every day. The difference is, that cow is born, bred, and raised for the very purpose of becoming a steak. They are dumb as rocks, don't even recognize their own family.

Whales can be separated for years. Give them time after being released and they will find the exact pod that it came from, even if they're oceans apart. They recognize their brothers, sisters and mothers. They aren't cattle. They weren't meant to be slaughtered.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
No, i'm not you fucking retard. I'm saying that there are alot of things on this planet that have been doing their thing since the damn thing formed up. Complaining that a 100,000year old species is interfereing with our 150-year old propeller-driven vessels is pretty fucking stupid.

Complaining that these whales are killing themselves without proposing a solution is fucking stupid. What's your point? That the evil race of men is responsible for the death of these creatures? Yes, we are. That make you feel better?

And in my opinion, if you can't kill it dead with a giant high-powered ship mounted harpoon gun, you shouldn't be hunting it. But then again, what these people are doing isn't hunting...It's slaughter.

Webster's says:

Slaughter:
1 : the act of killing; specifically : the butchering of livestock for market
2 : killing of great numbers of human beings (as in battle or a massacre) : carnage

Again, what's your point?

And yes, I know that thousands of cattle are slaughtered every day. The difference is, that cow is born, bred, and raised for the very purpose of becoming a steak. They are dumb as rocks, don't even recognize their own family.

So what is the purpose of whales then?

Whales can be separated for years. Give them time after being released and they will find the exact pod that it came from, even if they're oceans apart. They recognize their brothers, sisters and mothers. They aren't cattle. They weren't meant to be slaughtered.

Bees and some fish can do this too.

Are you arguing that a whale feels anguish or sadness over the death of a family member?

And did the whales tell you that they aren't meant to be slaughtered?

holy shit.

Social Misfit
pwned

Meh...Nothing I say is going to change the ways of a person obsessed with greed. You all must be a bunch of business majors - No feelings for anything so long as there is profit involved. The only argument i've got is for compassion, it definately makes sense to slaughter 1000's of whales so long as it lines someones pocketbook with dough. But what damage are we doing to this planet in the process, thats all i'm concerned about. I mean...What the fuck is money going to mean when this planet is uninhabitable? Whaling may be legal, but is it right?

Singingstallion

What makes non-endangered whales special?

If you hunt and you consider yourself a conservationist, then you should know that with a safe limit, there is nothing wrong with hunting a species. Nobody advocates hunting California Condors, but as I understand it, Minke whales can be hunted and still keep a healthy population. Your argument is self-defeating.

Also, you argue that it is alright to slaughter cows because they are "as dumb as rocks". I'll just make an analogy. Do smart people have more intrinsic value than dumb people? Besides the point, pigs are as smart or smarter than dogs. Do you object to the slaughter of pigs?

I'll just restate my opinion on whale hunting: as long as the whale population can be safely maintained, whalers should have the right to hunt if they feel that it is economically viable to do so, and if the law allows it.

But whatever. Trying to forcefully board another ship? Give me a fucking break. I can't wait until someone sends the Steve Irwin straight to the bottom.

edit: I've heard that that maniac captain actively tries to destroy the propellers of whaling ships. He makes me want to puke.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Meh...Nothing I say is going to change the ways of a person obsessed with greed. You all must be a bunch of business majors - No feelings for anything so long as there is profit involved. The only argument i've got is for compassion, it definately makes sense to slaughter 1000's of whales so long as it lines someones pocketbook with dough. But what damage are we doing to this planet in the process, thats all i'm concerned about. I mean...What the fuck is money going to mean when this planet is uninhabitable? Whaling may be legal, but is it right?

What does this have to do with greed or compassion? I make no money off of whaling, so I don't know how I'm being greedy. Should we stop sharks from killing whales too? I mean, they kill more whales per year then we do. Let's round them all up and throw them in jail.

It's no different than killing cows or chickens for food. Do you honestly believe there's that much of a difference in the sentience of a whale compared to a cow?

Also, there are 1200 whales killed by humans a year. Not 1000's. http://www.wwf.org.au/ourwork/oceans/whales/

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
But whatever. Trying to forcefully board another ship? Give me a fucking break. I can't wait until someone sends the Steve Irwin straight to the bottom.

edit: I've heard that that maniac captain actively tries to destroy the propellers of whaling ships. He makes me want to puke.

I'm not going to be surprised at all when the whole crew of the ship ends up dead. It isn't a good idea to harass people on the open sea.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
I'm not going to be surprised at all when the whole crew of the ship ends up dead. It isn't a good idea to harass people on the open sea.

that would be rightful self defense in my mind.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Wow...thread derailed and burned to the ground.

Since the train is already off track...I agree that large scale commercial whaling in the 21st century doesn't make much sense..especially when we have alternatives to the oils and other things people used from whales 150 years ago. Having said that, I won't shed a tear for the "Whale Wars" fucknauts if they get someone seriously injured or killed with their . I find the show very entertaining, but all I see are a bunch of people (well bankrolled by econuts with deep pockets) getting their jollies by terrorizing Japanese whaling ships in the antarctic...but not really stopping the whaling taking place. If they had real balls they would go after Norwegian, Icelandic, Russian etc...whaling ships, or at least go protest in the streets of Tokyo instead of throwing stink bombs and fouling props. No doubt they picked Japanese whalers since they reasoned they would be the least likely to fight back.

Back to the original subject...where do I sign up and whats the bag limit?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v