General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jfnirvana292
I had this name since 1796.

My New Smith & Wesson 1911

So I pulled the trigger the other day and picked up a SW1911. I've read nothing but positive about these pistols. I'll update with a range report later in the week. Now onto the picture..

I also wanted to thank everyone who helped me make my decision on what 1911 to get!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Cashman
Hard from Brevard

Very nice, congrats. One of my next purchases will be a 1911, either a Springfield or S&W I feel.

Social Misfit
pwned

Very nice. Get yourself some Chip McCormick mags and a set of Pachmayr grips and it'll be perfect.

jfnirvana292

Heres a question, will it hurt anything to use Blazer aluminum cased ammo?

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnirvana292 View Post

No. though they do expand a little faster than brass so in rapid fire you MAY have an empty get stuck. I've never had it happen with .45 or 9mm but ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Misfit View Post
Very nice. Get yourself some Chip McCormick mags and a set of Pachmayr grips and it'll be perfect.

TSRH

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:

Shouldn't hurt a thing. I've only shot one box through mine, but I don't remember any problems. The only difference is you can't reload them.

jfnirvana292

Quote:
Shouldn't hurt a thing. I've only shot one box through mine, but I don't remember any problems. The only difference is you can't reload them.

$15 a box, cant beat the price of it....

StarDeath13

Quote:

I think you meant Wilson 47D mags mang.
Both are good tho,no doubt.I own a 47D so i can vouch for it.
Nice gun also,love the adjustable rear sight.
I had Pachmyer grips on mine,but they just felt bulky.They arent no bigger than normal stock ones tho,mabey it was i ccw with mine.
Anyhow i prefer a good set of normal wood thats non stippled.
This is the set on my PT1911 thats blued,its Bocote wood.

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
$15 a box, cant beat the price of it....

Heh, I bought a 50 caliber ammo can's worth of CCI Blazer Brass for $14.50 a box back towards the first of the year. I can't remember just how many boxes of that shit it took to fill that can up, but I was purchasing about 6 boxes a week as they came in for a few months.

And don't be calling ammo hoarder on me...I shoot some every time I go to the range.

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13 View Post
I think you meant Wilson 47D mags mang.
Both are good tho,no doubt.I own a 47D so i can vouch for it.
Nice gun also,love the adjustable rear sight.
I had Pachmyer grips on mine,but they just felt bulky.They arent no bigger than normal stock ones tho,mabey it was i ccw with mine.
Anyhow i prefer a good set of normal wood thats non stippled.
This is the set on my PT1911 thats blued,its Bocote wood.

You still have the Pachmayr grips? PIF? I'll send you a box of Blazer Brass.

I've got ginormous hands, i'm always trying to find fatter grips for everything.

jfnirvana292

Quote:
Heh, I bought a 50 caliber ammo can's worth of CCI Blazer Brass for $14.50 a box back towards the first of the year. I can't remember just how many boxes of that shit it took to fill that can up, but I was purchasing about 6 boxes a week as they came in for a few months.

And don't be calling ammo hoarder on me...I shoot some every time I go to the range.

I was going to buy up a bunch of boxes of it, but I went with just one to make sure they feed OK and everything. I will try to get to the range tomorrow after work... then ill stock up on the aluminums if they work ok

jfnirvana292

Another question for you guys. I find the front sight is hard to line up with the rear. I am thinking about getting a more visible front sight, any recommendations? Is it hard to change the sight out?

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Another question for you guys. I find the front sight is hard to line up with the rear. I am thinking about getting a more visible front sight, any recommendations? Is it hard to change the sight out?

You think yours is bad...My RIA barely even has sights. Most any sight work on 1911's has to be done by a gunsmith.

StarDeath13

Quote:
You still have the Pachmayr grips? PIF? I'll send you a box of Blazer Brass.

I've got ginormous hands, i'm always trying to find fatter grips for everything.
I cut the grip up one day i was bored and tried to use the finger grips off of it,but it didnt fit for shit and i wasted $20 on it.
They do thicken the grip mostly out front so it would help alot if you have larger hands.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

Quote:
You think yours is bad...My RIA barely even has sights. Most any sight work on 1911's has to be done by a gunsmith.

GI pattern 1911's yah. My kimber has dovetails that the sights just push into and have a set screw.