General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ofd92

Need advice/critique of my diet/workout plan

Last semester (lets say March to mid June?) I worked out like crazy and dieted like crazy. I had good results but summer hit and it didn't stay a priority. I drank a descent amount and with that consumed some fairly unhealthy foods.
Now that summer is gone and everyone is back at school I have more "me" time and wish to get back into a healthier lifestyle and this time stay with it. As per the "Official Fitness FAQ" on this forum I do my cardio first thing in the morning. Since I am trying to lose weight/fat I am trying to make it HIIT. Right now I jump on the treadmill and do a warm up walk for a mile. From here I jog/run for 1/4 mile then walk for 1/4 mile then back to running. At the end of this cycle I have ran a mile and walked 1.75 miles (including the warm up). Now this is where I need help. Is this a good start for HIIT? I know it isn't very "high intensity" but I am starting out and don't wanna kill myself. I plan on increasing both my running speed and shortening the break in between bursts once I can handle it. I also intend on starting to jump rope again.
As for my diet, I've really started to watch what I eat. I've completely given up junk food including soda and have formed the habit of reading the nutrition facts on the back of everything I eat. I will have a glass of grapefruit juice in the morning with a half a granola bar. Post workout I will have a 2 egg white sandwich on whole wheat with turkey bacon and some feta cheese. For lunch usually grilled chicken on whole wheat with some lettuce, tomato, onion. For dinner I'll have one of those frozen weight watcher dinner things that have like 230-280 calories in them or grilled chicken w/ vegetables and brown rice. I try to keep the metabolism going by eating every 2.5 to 3 hours by eating a power bar. If I do snack I try to make it a rice cake w/ hummus or something. All in all I have cut the "crap" out of my diet. I don't know how good I'm doing but if you guys could throw in some suggestions, the variation would be appreciated.
So what do you think? I know its long winded but I'd really appreciate the advice. Feel free to chime in!

PS
Once I accomplish some level of stamina I want to start taking boxing lessons. Not to become a killer or anything but to stay in shape and know how to defend myself. Any good tips to train for this kind of activity?

Last edited by ofd92; 10-20-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mainbrotha

You still might want to increase the calories. It's not always about eating all day long; eat when you need, but eat what you need.

Your cardio routine is good for a starting point, but I'd suggest keeping a log to mark your progress.

Whizzleteets
I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

eat a bigger breakfast (oatmeal, eggs, etc.) and get rid of those frozen dinners.
[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/whizzlewtf397921.jpg[/IMG]
follow mentner on twitter if you're not a giant fagmo.

ofd92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzleteets View Post
eat a bigger breakfast (oatmeal, eggs, etc.) and get rid of those frozen dinners.

they aren't hungrymen ones that are full of crap. They are fairly healthy for you... Its a pretty good way for me to keep track of my calories. I'm really looking for more variety though... Anybody got any ideas?

artificialswedner
artificialswedener
[M]an Jaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd92 View Post
they aren't hungrymen ones that are full of crap. They are fairly healthy for you... Its a pretty good way for me to keep track of my calories. I'm really looking for more variety though... Anybody got any ideas?
They're still full of crap. Look at the nutrition facts. Absolutely loaded with sodium and processed to hell. And certainly not cheap. Buy some high quality lean proteins like chicken, turkey, or fish and prepare them yourself.

Your juice, granola bars and power bars are also probably packed with sugar. Try preparing your own granola or snack on a handful of raw, unsalted almonds.

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:

They're packed full of sodium and bad carbs. Cut them out of your diet.

Foolioq

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificialswedener View Post
Absolutely loaded with sodium and processed to hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz3n View Post
They're packed full of sodium and bad carbs. Cut them out of your diet.

Whats wrong with too much sodium?

tenk_immortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post

I believe it translates to excessive water retention and other ailments of the kidney.

Just make a ton of rice at once, and a bunch of chicken breasts. Then warm it up in microwave at you convenience and dump on some hot sauce or condiment of choice. voila, much improved sodium levels and quality of food.

I buy sirloins and things of beef and cut them into strips. I saute it and then let it simmer in peanut sauce for 30 minutes or so. Tastes good to me. It's good with vegetables and rice.

you have started making some good progress, remember make slow steps. if you change way too much at once, you might get discouraged and fall back into bad habits. limit fast food and sodas is a great first step. everything in moderation, even moderation. so go nuts on a pizza every now and then if that's your style.

artificialswedner
artificialswedener
[M]an Jaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
Too much sodium in the diet (and I'm talking about sodium, not salt...salt is about 40% sodium and 60% chloride...the two are not interchangeable) is strongly linked to hypertension, which can lead to heart attacks, stroke, and kidney disease. Though a little bit is necessary, it's estimated that the average American consumes 6-10 times the amount necessary.

workingnonstop

Quote:

Your juice, granola bars and power bars are also probably packed with sugar. Try preparing your own granola or snack on a handful of raw, unsalted almonds.

I f-cking love unsalted almonds.

When I want to mix it up a bit, I'll add some walnuts and raisins. Delicious.

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

Whizzleteets
I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

Quote:
Anybody got any ideas?

go to www.drclay.com and sign up for his free e-book.
[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/whizzlewtf397921.jpg[/IMG]
follow mentner on twitter if you're not a giant fagmo.

Foolioq

Quote:
Too much sodium in the diet (and I'm talking about sodium, not salt...salt is about 40% sodium and 60% chloride...the two are not interchangeable) is strongly linked to hypertension, which can lead to heart attacks, stroke, and kidney disease. Though a little bit is necessary, it's estimated that the average American consumes 6-10 times the amount necessary.

awesome, less sodium for me

edit: how much sodium is healthy per day?

Last edited by Foolioq; 10-21-2009 at 03:07 PM..

ofd92

Update

Its been about 2 weeks since my original post but I had been doing my diet and exercise regimen for 3 weeks prior to that. So far I'm just over a month in and I've gone from approximately 200lbs to 187lbs. I'm happy with the results. I feel the eating every few hours is keeping the metabolism going so I'm always burning calories. I do have some concern that 13lbs of weight loss in a month could be some muscle loss to. I don't feel weaker or anything but I was worried about my protein intake. Would a protein shake or something of that nature help me? I'm not lifting weights or anything so I don't know if I start taking protein once a day will it make me get all bulky because of water retention or something of the like? Essentially I worry that consuming protein and not lifting weight will have an adverse effect on my fat/ weight loss program. I really don't know how the shakes work but my diet is similar to what I originally posted. I think it needs that extra shot of protein. What does everyone else think?

Gibonius

Quote:
Its been about 2 weeks since my original post but I had been doing my diet and exercise regimen for 3 weeks prior to that. So far I'm just over a month in and I've gone from approximately 200lbs to 187lbs. I'm happy with the results. I feel the eating every few hours is keeping the metabolism going so I'm always burning calories. I do have some concern that 13lbs of weight loss in a month could be some muscle loss to. I don't feel weaker or anything but I was worried about my protein intake. Would a protein shake or something of that nature help me? I'm not lifting weights or anything so I don't know if I start taking protein once a day will it make me get all bulky because of water retention or something of the like? Essentially I worry that consuming protein and not lifting weight will have an adverse effect on my fat/ weight loss program. I really don't know how the shakes work but my diet is similar to what I originally posted. I think it needs that extra shot of protein. What does everyone else think?

You will lose muscle when you're trying to lose weight, especially if you aren't weight lifting. It's unavoidable.

Eating more protein will not make you bulky and won't make you fatter. Just count the calories like any others. More protein is always good, just make sure you're not just adding in a bunch of extra calories without considering them in your overall diet.

ofd92

Update 2

I'm near the 2 months mark and I'm feeling good. I'm down to 182 and am starting to see and feel the changes physically. I can see my upper abdominal muscles for the first time in years and clothes that were too tight and made me look pudgy 3 months ago now accentuate the the effort I've put into this diet/ exercise program. I also feel pretty good. I;m not always tired or sluggish. I have also noticed that on the 1 or 2 occasions where I have slipped up in the dieting I felt terrible after. Stomach ache and the whole 9 yards! It really has made me think about whats in the food I used to consume.
The work out regiment is similar to what I started with. I'm still doing the run walk thing but now at the end during my last running rotation I don't come back down to a walk... I crank up the speed and go for another quarter mile. In the whole little routine I do I'm running 1.25 miles with that last 1/4 being a sprint pretty much. I still have my 1/4 mile walk breaks between every lap. After I do my cardio I hit the roman chair (thats what they call it at my gym) which is essentially a chair for hanging leg raises. I do anywhere from 3-5 sets at 5-10 reps a piece depending on how hard I push myself. I still haven't added that jump rope in though. I think I'll save that for when I slim down to like 175lb and start my lifting routine (which I've yet to figure out btw). This lifting routine will be to add some bulk so I don't look so skinny.
As always, your questions, comments, concerns, and criticisms are appreciated! Thanks for reading!