General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Thermo1223

I just think I really offended this guy...

Long story short...

We get a lot of ex-jail people walking in looking for work. Asking to sign their list to show they tried to look for a job.

My Pakistani boss always refuses for good reasons I'm sure and he always gives them the line "Business is slow due to the economy". This is usually a bold face lie because they like hiring hispanic workers vs. anyone else. Thats a whole 'nother thread though.

A seemily well spoken black man came in, boss gave him the same line but he wanted to leave a resume` anyway. So the guy just ignores my boss and pokes his head in my office. I immediatley counter his request with "I can't go against my boss & sign anything". He is really taken back, hell I'd say almost pissed. I did the wrong thing and assume he was from the county jail because of all the tatoos on his neck/arms/hands. After that he reaffirms he just wanted to leave his resume`. I direct him back outside to my boss. He does and boss immediatley puts it in a desk drawer after the man leaves.

Now I feel like I just lived up to the stereotype that all black men are thugs and feel like an ass for it. I am never like that with people. The rest of my family is but I am not.

So I guess that I will never see the man again but I somehow feel I need to track him down & apologize. Maybe you guys can suggest doing something that will make ammends with myself.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Frenetic

You were just put in an uncomfortable position, but you dealt with it the only way you could. It's hard to tell whether you knew he went into the boss's office office before yours, but you still gave the right answer. You can't go above your boss, regardless of how you feel about his hiring policies.

And you know what? You probably are a little racist, but there's no point in feeling guilty about it, and if you ever found the man you would only make an ass out of yourself. It's normal to feel like a black guy with sleeved tattoos isn't from the nicest background. First impressions are important, and they apply to everybody. Maybe when you're the boss of a company you can rise above that, but for now, just learn from it and move on.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
You were just put in an uncomfortable position, but you dealt with it the only way you could. It's hard to tell whether you knew he went into the boss's office office before yours, but you still gave the right answer. You can't go above your boss, regardless of how you feel about his hiring policies.

And you know what? You probably are a little racist, but there's no point in feeling guilty about it, and if you ever found the man you would only make an ass out of yourself. It's normal to feel like a black guy with sleeved tattoos isn't from the nicest background. First impressions are important, and they apply to everybody. Maybe when you're the boss of a company you can rise above that, but for now, just learn from it and move on.

I should have mentioned I have an actual office where my boss decieded he rather just be out in the open. My guess is he doesn't like the feeling of walls around him. So the second you walk through the main door you see him and I'm closed off to the left. I heard the entire convo he had with my boss which is why I think I jumped on my answer.

It is true outward apperence means a lot which it most likely why I haven't gotten a tatoo yet but would like too. Just to damn indecisive for my own good.

theNoid

The guy came in branding tattoos, which is about as unprofessional as it gets. He went behind your boss, stuck his head in your office and you simply backed up your boss's stance. Has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin, don't let society guilt you into something that didn't happen.

You don't owe anyone an apology.

wilse

i pretty much agree that, intentions aside, you didn't do anything wrong
i'm curious, though
now that you're fretting about it, what would you have liked to have done differently?

coalesce

You didn't do anything wrong. Its natural for humans to act on preconceived notions. There may come a time when what you experience will differ but we're also capable of changing our opinions. The reason you reacted like that wasn't because of the guy's race. It was because of the type of crowd you deal with most of the time.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse View Post
i pretty much agree that, intentions aside, you didn't do anything wrong
i'm curious, though
now that you're fretting about it, what would you have liked to have done differently?

Probably just said "He is my boss it would be best you talk to him." or something to the effect.

I do see he could have been pissed and taken back no matter what I said really. The frustration of looking for work and all.

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
The guy came in branding tattoos, which is about as unprofessional as it gets. He went behind your boss, stuck his head in your office and you simply backed up your boss's stance. Has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin, don't let society guilt you into something that didn't happen.

Well, where he jumped the gun was in saying "i cant sign any [papers]", assuming the guy had come from jail when he did not.

This is understandable as the guy was tatted up, but its good he acknowledges that he was too quick to judge and will hopefully reserve such judgments until the facts present themselves in future instances

he does not need to feel guilty though
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post

this.

/thread

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

you, my friend, have white guilt.

you said the only thing you could, and it was the truth. look like a thug and you'll be treated like one, you know?

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

bigandy839
RMG 4Ever! Will blow to join.

Would you have done it if it were a white guy covered in tats etc? I think you would've. Not racist my friend.

Claptrap

I hate today's culture for precisely reasons like these. Eighteen and nineteen year old black males acting like I owe them something because my great-grandfather was white back when this dude's great-cousin-twice-removed was a slave.

bigandy839
RMG 4Ever! Will blow to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claptrap View Post
I hate today's culture for precisely reasons like these. Eighteen and nineteen year old black males acting like I owe them something because my great-grandfather was white back when this dude's great-cousin-twice-removed was a slave.
Check out Epic Beard Man for a pristine example of racist african-americans

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Epic_Beard_Man

the chick who filmed it is a racist, a liar, and a thief, yet she gets portrayed as none of them in an interview with her.

Claptrap

Wow. I laughed so hard at that. Thank you.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
....The rest of my family is but I am not.

You should be.