General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
I would not run a motor without the header. Seems pretty retarded. Header only is a different story...

Shits awesome, son.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
Old system is out, wife was tired of fucking with it or I'd try to finish tonight. We should get it finished up tomorrow morning... Only issue I have is that I believe the driver-side front o2 sensor lead is too short for the new location. Not sure where I can get an extension on the weekend.

With aggressive street driving the transmission temperatures never exceed 84*c; if they ever crept past 90*c I'd place more concern on a cooler. Never the less, I'm anticipating higher temps after tuning so I am working on a cooler design that is similar to the GXP assembly, but sits lower for better access to airflow.

Im quite positive that most G8 guys were buying GTO o2 sensors because they are longer.....so auto zone and such.....I may still have that thread in my book marks, I will look it up.

My Kooks came with a longer one, thank god.

Here's where my shop put mine, dropped temps 12degs on the dyno, and 16-20 on street. It was a basic universal cooler. Just a chop and plug kinda deal.

gribly

That has headers on it according to the description. Learn to read. I believe you were looking for something like this.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

AtomicFire

engines sound weird when you run them without headers, kind of like a willy wonka bubble machine

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Well, I wouldn't run even just a short header. The reason is, even though your motor sucks at one end and blows at another, it still does little sucking action at the other end, kind of like a whore. When cold air hits a hot exhaust valve, it causes heat cycling and ruins the valve.

That's a good explanation. The scavenging goes to shit. Header-only it's not too bad from what I've been taught (basically nascar, right) but with open ports you're asking for a mega-lean condition

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFire View Post
engines sound weird when you run them without headers, kind of like a willy wonka bubble machine

Turns out youre right

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Holy shitsnacks it sounds amazing! I'll try to get a video tomorrow, although I'm not sure my Flip cam will pickup the audio accurately.

Install was not difficult at all. I only lifted the front of the car, at nearly the lowest setting of my stands and the headers slipped right in. The driver-side was the biggest fuss as I had to extend the o2 sensor lead 8" and remove the steering shaft (one bolt). If I had a lift or at least a better jack and two more stands it would have been a two hour job.

Aside from the sensor lead, the dipstick needs a 3/4" spacer and slightly longer bolt to clear the header and the included 'pinch clamps' for the x-pipe are shit, causing a very small leak. I'll pickup some better clamps later this week and all should be golden.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Pretty useless video, even the wife said as much but it'll do.

+ YouTube Video

I love the way it sounds (it sounds far better in-person than in the video), very quiet/mild inside the car but has that visceral tone outside. I will more than likely replace the Turbo-style mufflers with Super Turbo mufflers though just to further refine the sound. They add another pass in the muffler body and acoustic-matting to mellow out the tone.

Jehannum

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't run even just a short header. The reason is, even though your motor sucks at one end and blows at another, it still does little sucking action at the other end, kind of like a whore. When cold air hits a hot exhaust valve, it causes heat cycling and ruins the valve.

It does all that in a few seconds of running, eh?

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
It does all that in a few seconds of running, eh?

No, it would have to be hot and running for quite a while.

Jehannum

Quote:
No, it would have to be hot and running for quite a while.

Well, it's a good thing I posted "How many times did you drive it around the state without manifolds for giggles", then

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

gribly

I wasn't even replying to you. I was replying to lollerska8s "different story" comment. Go read the thread, in order.

JPF_

Quote:
Pretty useless video, even the wife said as much but it'll do.

+ YouTube Video

I love the way it sounds (it sounds far better in-person than in the video), very quiet/mild inside the car but has that visceral tone outside. I will more than likely replace the Turbo-style mufflers with Super Turbo mufflers though just to further refine the sound. They add another pass in the muffler body and acoustic-matting to mellow out the tone.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than most G8's with cam's

And sounds better than mine did.....but I just had stock headers, no cats, no mufflers. Loud as fawk but an annoying v8 loud. Yours actually has other tones in it....

I dig it...

DopefishLives

Bolted the stock mufflers back on and it sounds like a factory-fresh GXP. Pretty happy with the option of having a sleeper setup that can be swapped in 15 minutes to old-school grumble when wanted.

JPF_

Quote:
Bolted the stock mufflers back on and it sounds like a factory-fresh GXP. Pretty happy with the option of having a sleeper setup that can be swapped in 15 minutes to old-school grumble when wanted.

Remote exhaust cut off's then?

Cheap, and easy to gain a few extra ponies.