General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Aerodynamics experts, please step inside...and helps me fix something...

...my Ranger runs like clockwork, but ever since I fixed the Lean Banks SES (LOST OIL CAP FTMFL), my fuel mileage went from around 20 to a consistent 18, mostly highway driving. Part of that is me using more throttle to use the "power" to actually get to freeway speeds, or pass people, or just hold speed up a hill (185hp of 3 liter pussroded fury FTMFL). Part of the problem, however, is the little shitbox has the aerodynamics of a brick going sideways.

So, my question to thee: what can I do to mprove things? I know I should get a tonneau cover, but should I do something cheap like a sheet of plywood, or should I spring for a full topper? Will it help me, or am I pissing in the wind, and need to suck it up, or ditch the truck? I'm also sure tightening up the front gaps can help some, but unless I go radical and lean the windshield back a few degrees, there isn't much else I can do, unless you twats have some decent ideas.

So: fire away. My chin is braced.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

я~~~ я~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex я~~~ я~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

its a truck

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
My chin is braced.

No it's not. It's missing.

According to Mythbusters (and their complete lack of scientific rigor), the best thing you could do is add a mesh tailgate (+5% fuel economy). The tonneau cover did nothing for MPG, and tailgate down actually hurt mileage.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Rancidpunk666

Trucks are designed to create a pocket of air in the bed. A cover actually disruption of proper airflow.

I find taping grill over adds a little bit but only october through april
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

TUT RAGE!!!

get a prius

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

slam it to the fucking ground, make covers for the rear fenders, moon disc caps for the wheels

duct tape all the ford panel gap

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Tonneau covers don't help mileage. Neither does leaving the tailgate open. Mythbusters tested this.

WIth the bed open and the tailgate up a high pressure pool of air forms in there that keeps the spillage coming over the cab from catching the tailgate. Covers and leaving the tailgate down negate this effect and actually cause more drag.

check your tire pressure, top it up but don't go much over what the manufacturer recommends.

when was the last time your air filter was replaced? If it's been a while change it.

the biggest change you can make is what you do with your right foot. look well ahead, coast as far as possible to stops. don't follow too closely behind others so you don't have to vary your throttle as much. etc etc etc...

don't pop it in neutral when coasting. engine braking uses no fuel.

Use AC only when necessary. AC off and windows down at low speeds (under 45) windows up and AC on if needed for freeway driving. The AC causes parasitic drag on the engine which is greater than the drag from having the windows down at low speeds but less than the drag caused by windows down at freeway speeds.

If you really wanted to do anything aerodynamic without redesigning the whole car, you'd have to look at the underside and build an underbody tray.

Last edited by pyramid; 04-23-2013 at 06:32 PM..

TUT RAGE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

Use AC only when necessary. AC off and windows down at low speeds (under 45) windows up and AC on if needed for freeway driving. The AC causes parasitic drag on the engine which is greater than the drag from having the windows down at low speeds but less than the drag caused by windows down at freeway speeds.

windows down on the freeway is the only way to go, feel that breeze baby

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUT RAGE!!! View Post
windows down on the freeway is the only way to go, feel that breeze baby

Sure, if you like raping mother earth...

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
No it's not. It's missing.

According to Mythbusters (and their complete lack of scientific rigor), the best thing you could do is add a mesh tailgate (+5% fuel economy). The tonneau cover did nothing for MPG, and tailgate down actually hurt mileage.

I utterly dispute their findings, because not only was their methodology flawed, it also contradicted Lockheed's wind tunnel work for GM that showed dropping the tailgate killed efficiency by INCREASING drag above 30 mph. Which makes sense, given the massive frontal area and total crossectional area in relation to the length of the cab.

I'm thinking a full cover, but they aren't cheap.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

pyramid

wait, you dispute their findings but then state exactly what their tests found?

Rancidpunk666

That's texas logic
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
I'm thinking a full cover, but they aren't cheap.

Air in your tires, an air filter and practicing better driving habits is a much cheaper experiment than buying something expensive that everyone agrees will not help.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Tonneau covers don't help mileage. Neither does leaving the tailgate open. Mythbusters tested this.

WIth the bed open and the tailgate up a high pressure pool of air forms in there that keeps the spillage coming over the cab from catching the tailgate. Covers and leaving the tailgate down negate this effect and actually cause more drag.

Correct and incorrect: the "bubble" emulates a flat cover. See testing mentioned above.

Quote:
check your tire pressure, top it up but don't go much over what the manufacturer recommends.
Pressure is perfect, tire wear is perfect. Hell, surprisingly enough, alignment is perfect. Only perceived problem is a rumbling noise coming from the front left wheel, might be a wheel bearing letting go.

Quote:
when was the last time your air filter was replaced? If it's been a while change it.
Very recently. It might benefit from a K&N or a CAI.

Quote:
the biggest change you can make is what you do with your right foot. look well ahead, coast as far as possible to stops. don't follow too closely behind others so you don't have to vary your throttle as much. etc etc etc...
Bah. Except you're right, I do tend to "aim high when driving", so I'm a very smooth driver overall.

Quote:
don't pop it in neutral when coasting. engine braking uses no fuel.
Not good for slushboxes, so no.

Quote:
Easier said than done: this is Texas, son, we have to use AC in the freakin' winter, fercripe'ssake!

Quote:
If you really wanted to do anything aerodynamic without redesigning the whole car, you'd have to look at the underside and build an underbody tray.
Likely so. It's "lifted" pretty high, so that isn't helping. Lowering it will be problematic, too, especially with front suspension geometry. But a lower tray can work... the gears are turning on this one...

--John Hobbs

TUT RAGE!!!

Quote:
Sure, if you like raping mother earth...

yea bro, she already got raped.