General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mel View Post
I don't feel I'm giving up anything. Not different than many other hobbies....just cooler.

no "JK" on this one: it IS cooler.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
I don't feel I'm giving up anything. Not different than many other hobbies....just cooler. jk

You're giving up whatever amount of money it's costing you and garage space for a creaky thunder bucket. Most kids would opt for a CBR600 or something, miata, WRX etc

Still fun, WAY better brakes and handling, a lot more comfortable and practical etc so that's the stuff you're giving up. You better think it's cooler because otherwise there's no point right

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
You're giving up whatever amount of money it's costing you and garage space for a creaky thunder bucket. Most kids would opt for a CBR600 or something, miata, WRX etc

Still fun, WAY better brakes and handling, a lot more comfortable and practical etc so that's the stuff you're giving up. You better think it's cooler because otherwise there's no point right

i see your point. However, outside of a bike, that miata or WRX or whatever car they choose to have as their toy takes up the same amount of space, can cost significantly more money to own, insure, and fix, and based on some of the cars I've ridden in - a buddies EVO and my brothers Z for example, can be (almost) as rough and uncomfortable. But, to your point, the trade off is practicality. Those other cars can also be used as daily drivers where mine...not so much. I guess that if our '51 Chevy Styline got better than 10mpg and had A/C, it would very likely be my wifes daily driver - or at least split time with her current daily.

But you are probably right, I guess I just don't notice what I'm giving up so much since I truly do love the hobby and cars. Its weird, but the hot-rods have really changed my life and who I am. And it has turned into a full blown obsession. I'm typically very introverted, and kind of a social retard. Was very much a homebody and was perfectly content and preferred to stay home Friday and Saturday night to relax and watch TV. Now i'm in the hot-rod world, out in the car every weekend, rarely home on the weekends going to shows, races, working on my car, goign to friends shops to work on their cars, ect. Practically made me a social butterfly.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
i see your point. However, outside of a bike, that miata or WRX or whatever car they choose to have as their toy takes up the same amount of space, can cost significantly more money to own, insure, and fix, and based on some of the cars I've ridden in - a buddies EVO and my brothers Z for example, can be (almost) as rough and uncomfortable. But, to your point, the trade off is practicality. Those other cars can also be used as daily drivers where mine...not so much. I guess that if our '51 Chevy Styline got better than 10mpg and had A/C, it would very likely be my wifes daily driver - or at least split time with her current daily.

But you are probably right, I guess I just don't notice what I'm giving up so much since I truly do love the hobby and cars. Its weird, but the hot-rods have really changed my life and who I am. And it has turned into a full blown obsession. I'm typically very introverted, and kind of a social retard. Was very much a homebody and was perfectly content and preferred to stay home Friday and Saturday night to relax and watch TV. Now i'm in the hot-rod world, out in the car every weekend, rarely home on the weekends going to shows, races, working on my car, goign to friends shops to work on their cars, ect. Practically made me a social butterfly.

That's pretty cool actually; I keep wanting to join some krautwagen circlejerks IRL, although I'm a lot like you as far as going out. Most new experiences aren't as satisfying as what I'm already doing. I think the coolest part is that you built that thing yourself. It's like sculpting but with technology. You had a vision and it became real.

One day I'll build something from scratch. It won't be based on any car though, I'm thinking a home made Atom. Maybe an actual Atom might be the way to go. Not sure but do want.

J Mel

I'm trying to join a car club myself....currently prospecting for one. Was shocked when they asked me if i was interested in prospecting. Now just gotta make it through 11 more months of being their bitch and hope I get voted in.

Its still weird for me, and I'm still a social retard though. Oooh, hey, new idea, if I don't get voted into this car club - I'll start my own - The Social Retards. BRILLIANT!!!

Atoms are cool as shiat...get a whole lot of car for not THAT much money...but at the same time you don't get shit - if that makes any sense. No bells and whistles, but its faster than fuck and look fun as hell. Learn how to TIG and hope to god you trust your welds!!!

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

That totally makes sense. You do get a lot while not actually getting a lot in terms of raw pounds.

I wonder if they still sell the basic NA 4 cyl for $35k~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
That totally makes sense. You do get a lot while not actually getting a lot in terms of raw pounds.

I wonder if they still sell the basic NA 4 cyl for $35k~

Or

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:

J, if ya EFI that boat, you'll get at least 15, if she can keep her foot out of it.

Oh, wait: it's a SBC, right? It should be making 1000hp and 25mpg at full throttle! Must've put a furd in there, eh?

Damn car whoar.

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
I'm trying to join a car club myself....currently prospecting for one. Was shocked when they asked me if i was interested in prospecting. Now just gotta make it through 11 more months of being their bitch and hope I get voted in.

Its still weird for me, and I'm still a social retard though. Oooh, hey, new idea, if I don't get voted into this car club - I'll start my own - The Social Retards. BRILLIANT!!!

Atoms are cool as shiat...get a whole lot of car for not THAT much money...but at the same time you don't get shit - if that makes any sense. No bells and whistles, but its faster than fuck and look fun as hell. Learn how to TIG and hope to god you trust your welds!!!

Build a LoCost.

And fuck any "club" that hazes me in any way, shape, or form. Accept me and my shit, or bite a turd.

--John Hobbs

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Build a LoCost.

And fuck any "club" that hazes me in any way, shape, or form. Accept me and my shit, or bite a turd.

Not hazing....really not a big deal, been quite easy really. Expected to show up at club shop at least once a month, take out the trash, help clean up or move shit if needed, if we go to a car show or event together, I might have to go fetch food or something. Even before prospecting, I helped out where I could anyway...not that much different now.

PissyTheClownMan

Hot rodding isn't dead, geriatric retirees with no lives do it all the time out in the desert.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissyTheClownMan View Post
Hot rodding isn't dead, geriatric retirees with no lives do it all the time out in the desert.

That explains alot about you

--John Hobbs

PissyTheClownMan

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Build a LoCost.

If they're anything like "motorcycle clubs," it's basically a gang that may or may not commit actual crimes.

The typical car club is just a bunch of dudes who meet up for pizza once a month, but any club that does the "prospecting" thing is something I'd run, not walk, away from.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
If they're anything like "motorcycle clubs," it's basically a gang that may or may not commit actual crimes.

The typical car club is just a bunch of dudes who meet up for pizza once a month, but any club that does the "prospecting" thing is something I'd run, not walk, away from.

They/we meet every Sunday for lunch. Taking out trash, and waiting in line for food is pretty harmless.