General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

d4rkspike
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Unfortunately I can't link you to my reason for doing this because apparently all of the top five WORLD guilds have their DK's on DPS duty, but about four days ago you couldn't find a Blood dk in Paragon, Vodka, For the Horde without full stam gems.

I was a firm believer in full butt to gut mastery, getting mastery at ALL costs, but I was simply not surviving in ZA, bear trash OR gauntlet. Because DPS no longer uses assist macros, I would be backing my way up the gauntlet ramp, and rather than stacking death strikes I'm death gripping, taunting, blood boiling, doing everything I can to leash in the mobs that are running wild. And then I die.

And our raids tonight went off without a hitch, so I don't know.

I'm prepared to swap back should the need arise. But so far having 18-20k extra hit points is helping a lot more than barely 2 points of mastery.

you weren't surviving ZA because you suck at death strike. If you're not timing your runes and using death strike when you know you're about to get punched in the dick, you're going to die. And nothing you've ever posted has suggested to me that you deserve any kind of benefit of the doubt, you are terrible, and you are going to die a lot because of it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkspike View Post
you weren't surviving ZA because you suck at death strike. If you're not timing your runes and using death strike when you know you're about to get punched in the dick, you're going to die. And nothing you've ever posted has suggested to me that you deserve any kind of benefit of the doubt, you are terrible, and you are going to die a lot because of it.

well... i'm not dying any more thanks to my unconventional wrath minded gem setup so... cool?

d4rkspike
<3

Quote:
well... i'm not dying any more thanks to my unconventional wrath minded gem setup so... cool?

Yeah, you have fun in ZA, i'll go ahead and continue tanking nef

skaterblm
I can name that dirty sanchez in three licks

Quote:

you're gettin' hated on. can't a man just raid in peace?

Assyrian: I'm not gullible
Me: dude you're so gullible
Assyrian: maybe you're right

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:

we've downed nef... i've killed nef multiple times...

(on my bear)

=(

Condoner

Quote:

HM?

d4rkspike
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoner View Post
HM?

If we had a few more weeks, yeah. But since Firelands is out next week and there is ZERO reason to go do any of this current shit again, probably not

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

hm... being paid 15k to mine up all the mineable mats to get engineering to 525..

I could probably buy my way up to cata and still make profit...from then on its just like my normal every day farming

gwiber

I'm willing to accept derision, laughter, whatever you think you have to do. But I genuinely need some assistance.

I have played WoW since January 2005, just barely two months out of launch of the game. More or less non-stop.

I was in a top raiding guild as a high end raider up until Burning Crusade came out. Then I took a decidedly Casual outlook on playing and have stayed that way ever since.

I have played, for good or bad., an Arcana Mage almost since day 1 of play. And it wasn't until Wrath Came out that I started noticing. No matter what I tried. What I did. I was always turning out middle of the road damage numbers on the DPS Chart. I have been more than once derided or group kicked because my DPS numbers simply were not up to snuff.

I realize obviously that without high end raid gear. I can;t be expected to push the really high numbers. But my gear as far as I can tell for a casual is worth WAY more than the average of 4k - 7k DPS I am currently getting.

I:m genuinely asking for anyone willing to take a look at my profile, and tell me honestly.. if its gear? Or something else that's causing me not to at least perform to the standard of the level I am at.

4-5 yrs ago. I was topping the dmg meters for an Arcana Mage. Now. I'm barely standing to the level of an 80 Mage in average gear.

Bear in mind in terms of gear. I have gotten frustrated, and quit playing this character some 2 months ago in favor of Leveling a Warrior by PVP. I am looking Back to this character now to try and fix mistakes.

Character Name: Prystus
Realm: Garona

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Prystus/simple

Mooninites

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiber View Post
I'm willing to accept derision, laughter, whatever you think you have to do. But I genuinely need some assistance.

I have played WoW since January 2005, just barely two months out of launch of the game. More or less non-stop.

I was in a top raiding guild as a high end raider up until Burning Crusade came out. Then I took a decidedly Casual outlook on playing and have stayed that way ever since.

I have played, for good or bad., an Arcana Mage almost since day 1 of play. And it wasn't until Wrath Came out that I started noticing. No matter what I tried. What I did. I was always turning out middle of the road damage numbers on the DPS Chart. I have been more than once derided or group kicked because my DPS numbers simply were not up to snuff.

I realize obviously that without high end raid gear. I can;t be expected to push the really high numbers. But my gear as far as I can tell for a casual is worth WAY more than the average of 4k - 7k DPS I am currently getting.

I:m genuinely asking for anyone willing to take a look at my profile, and tell me honestly.. if its gear? Or something else that's causing me not to at least perform to the standard of the level I am at.

4-5 yrs ago. I was topping the dmg meters for an Arcana Mage. Now. I'm barely standing to the level of an 80 Mage in average gear.

Bear in mind in terms of gear. I have gotten frustrated, and quit playing this character some 2 months ago in favor of Leveling a Warrior by PVP. I am looking Back to this character now to try and fix mistakes.

Character Name: Prystus
Realm: Garona

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Prystus/simple

First thing I notice is all that spirit gear. Spirit is 100% wasted for you, so that's all secondary stats that could be going to dps. That said, even with that spirit gear you should be hitting higher than 7k. What's your rotation like? Do you have any logs of fights you've done?

Edit: Resil is also wasted on your dps.

gwiber

Any spirit I picked up along the way was just a result of picking up gear with higher int and other things on it that I needed. So I thought anyway. (I recall flaking out and wasting a lot of points on buying the red robe that had Spirit on it. And kicking myself a couple days later when I realized what I had done)

The Fireweave stuff was, at the time, better than anything else I could get dropped or afford with my limited cash, and my reputations. The resilience was just a side additive.

I almost always throw a slow right off the bat, then turn into an arcane blast monkey, whenever Arcane missiles pops. I throw it out there. I generally reserve Arcane Barrage for either when I am forced to move, or right after an Arcane Missile Proc.

I reserve other things. Like Blizzard for grouped mobs on the tank (Obviously).

I generally now only throw Flame Orb in a boss fight, especially when adds are an issue. Or just for the extra DPS.

Time Warp, Arcane Power, and Mirror Image I always save til either things are getting hairy. Or until the boss mob is around 20% or less.

I never have issues taking anything down in PvE, one to one, or in small groups. Its the bosses that are showing my deficiency. I am aware my Hit cap may not be quite up to snuff, maybe. But it's still not enough to explain doing less than half the damage I should be doing.

I don;t have anything that records the logs, that I am aware of. I Keep Omen and Skada running. If Skada has some kind of log system I can pull outside of game I am unaware of it.

If there is a suggestion for a combat log, I am all ears.

Mooninites

Quote:
Any spirit I picked up along the way was just a result of picking up gear with higher int and other things on it that I needed. So I thought anyway. (I recall flaking out and wasting a lot of points on buying the red robe that had Spirit on it. And kicking myself a couple days later when I realized what I had done)

The Fireweave stuff was, at the time, better than anything else I could get dropped or afford with my limited cash, and my reputations. The resilience was just a side additive.

I almost always throw a slow right off the bat, then turn into an arcane blast monkey, whenever Arcane missiles pops. I throw it out there. I generally reserve Arcane Barrage for either when I am forced to move, or right after an Arcane Missile Proc.

I generally now only throw Flame Orb in a boss fight, especially when adds are an issue. Or just for the extra DPS.

Time Warp, Arcane Power, and Mirror Image I always save til either things are getting hairy. Or until the boss mob is around 20% or less.

I never have issues taking anything down in PvE, one to one, or in small groups. Its the bosses that are showing my deficiency. I am aware my Hit cap may not be quite up to snuff, maybe. But it's still not enough to explain doing less than half the damage I should be doing.

I don;t have anything that records the logs, that I am aware of. I Keep Omen and Skada running. If Skada has some kind of log system I can pull outside of game I am unaware of it.

I use world of logs. You type /combatlog ingame to start the log, then you feed it into their Java parser and it generates a page for you.

Edit: Hit cap is really important as arcane

Condoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
Edit: Hit cap is really important as arcane

Not so much, I mean, you get as much hit as you can, but in full bis gear, you won't be raid hit capped.

Quote:

As a general rule of thumb, don't use anything with spirit unless its at least a 40 int upgrade over whatever you are wearing. Personally, I'd plug it into simcraft or rawr to find out if it was an upgrade.

Never wear fireweave, its only use for someone in pve is to queue for heroics, and it only has to be in your bags for you to do that.

Why would you hard cast slow? It's applied whenever you cast arcane blast, and a tank will be putting a slow on things as well. This pretty much tells me you have no idea what you're doing.

Whenever you go into a fight you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do I have threat cooldowns up.
2. Do I have offensive cooldowns up.
3. Is the tank ghettoraid.
4. Is there a boss coming up in less than three trash pulls.
5. Is evocate up.
6. Will I have time to drink after the pull.
7. Why are my talents and glyphs so messed up.
8. Do I have AB bound to at least 5 keys?(I'm actually not joking here.)
9. Is my drinky bird setup to cast AB?

The way you've described your rotation sounds incredibly wrong to me. In a heroic, with a decent enough group, you should almost never be casting arcane missiles on a boss fight, as the fights simply don't last long enough for you to run through two full mana bars.

Here's how you should optimize DPS during a boss fight:

0. If you have time PoM mage gem, and remove PoM.
1. Flame orb as the tank is pulling.
2. Arcane blastx3 or x4 depending upon mana.(Goal here is to not waste gem mana, and be taking 4 stacks into your burn.)
3. Presence of mind arcane blast(Make a macro that casts presence of mind and arcane blast.)
4. Pot+Lust here would be optimal, but no one pots in heroics, and you can't lust for every fight.
5. Gem, arcane power, trinkets, synapse springs, arcane blast(Make a macro that uses a gem, casts arcane power, uses trinkets and synapse springs and then casts arcane blast.)
6. Mirror Image arcane blast.(Macro that casts mirror image and then arcane blast, only useable when arcane power is up.)
7. Make sure to invis before your mirror images expire.
8. Cast arcane blast till you hit 30-35% mana.
9. Evocate
10. If the boss will die before you hit 0 mana, keep spamming arcane blast.
11. Otherwise, arcane blast till 93% mana and then missiles or arcane barrage.

Step 11 is known as the conserve phase. Your goal in this phase is to have as much mana as possible without wasting any mana gains from mage armor.

One thing that can be done during your conserve phase right before flame orb is off of cd is to cast arcane blast to around 75-80% mana, then cast flame orb, then just spam arcane missiles as you get procs from flame orb.

If you have to move, there's essentially four situations:
1. Little move <1 gcd burn phase, move and do nothing, then cast arcane blast.
2. Medium move =1 gcd burn phase, Fire blast
3. Big move >1 gcd burn phase, blink and then cast arcane blast
4. Any move outside of burn phase you should cast arcane barrage and fire blast.

DPS for trash as arcane is kind of interesting:
1. Anything under 4 mobs is spam AB as much as your cds/tank threat/mana allow.
2. 4 Mobs, you could see a DPS increase if you stacked 4 ab's and then AEd, but its not really worth it.
3. 6+ Mobs, Assuming they have a fair bit of health, weave ABs in between your aes till 4 stacks, then AE. If they have low health, just AE.

I honestly can't think of a single situation in a heroic where I would blizzard. Maybe the trash right before rajh if you somehow killed every add at the same time? I think I recall the littlest adds blowing up.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is to fix your talents and glyphs.

33/5/3 is pretty standard, but your 33 is fucking retarded. Improved polymorph and improved counterspell are both god awful pve choices.

Prismatic cloak is a must, as it provides your only damage reduction, as well as insta invis.

Incanter's absorption probably isn't worth it for heroics, but is a must have for raiding. In a heroic you are not always going to have a disc priest to shield you, and there's not many fights where you could use mage ward to absorb damage.

1/2 points is also good enough for nether vortex, you don't need a 100% chance to apply slow, 50% is fine.

For glyphs your primes are fine, your majors should be evocate/arcane power/whatever, and your minors should be mirror images/conjuring/whatever.

Your gear is pretty awful, and with what you have I don't see any evidence of reforging. Basically, you need to get more haste. Use something like rawr or simcraft to see how to reforge what gear you have in order to optimize your DPS, as well as to see what upgrades you should be hoping to pickup.

Also, remember that the spell hit cap for a heroic dungeon is 6%, you're currently way above the cap.

Your profession choices are good. Just finish leveling enchanting.

TL,DR Summary

You're doing everything wrong. Read the long explanation of how to play.

The only things you've done right are your prime glyphs and your professions.

I'd save JP and wait till patch day to start gearing up your character, though you can pickup something like DMC:V or a dreamless belt at any time.

Electrikfuzz050

I miss tbc

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Sweet.... Completed the hyjal quests, was told that I also had to talk to thrall behind Nordrassil, get up to Elemental Bonds: Doubt, fill the bar up, keep killing shit killing shit killing shit then realize its bugged, drop the quest, and now I'm completely shit out of luck can't pick it up anywhere.

Retarded bugged ass crap game