Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

skip27

C. I am a Deist.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MrBojangels

d-c

detail
Impeach and try Bush/Cheney! 911 was an inside job!

AAAA

cockAZNsensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by detail
AAAA

you have a superiority complex

cockAZNsensation

I am on E but headed to F

golnar

A. Many people that have posted to this thread are indecisive about there faith and that reflects poorly on our society. What direction are we going in? Really where?

cockAZNsensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by golnar
A. Many people that have posted to this thread are indecisive about there faith and that reflects poorly on our society. What direction are we going in? Really where?

hopefully far the fuck away from "A"

poor spelling reflects poorly on society 

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by golnar

why the fuck would that reflect poorly on our society?

Affinity
I'm letting daggerdragon suck my cock for his USAir miles.

D. "At the end of the day I believe in something, I just can't express what it is. My belief is either a work in progress or too personal for any religion to be of assistance to me. I live according to my own code of ethics, some of which is in line with secular commandments. Religious texts rarely assist me in my journey and I have come to not refer to them at all."

But I'd like to think i understand how religion works and the purpose it serves, both good and bad.
O RLY?

Phil McCrevice
NumberFakes
Undiscovered Gen[M]ay Superstar.

E-F and I probably will be for the rest of my life.

edit: this was a gradual progression over several years from A. i was raised in the church but decided at about 14 it was all . i think i've leveled out now, though.

Last edited by Phil McCrevice; 08-18-2006 at 07:38 AM..

DeepFreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno
Many threads in Genmay become religious quandries. It makes me curious as to the religious landscape around here.

The religion you practice is irrelevant for this poll. Just pick a letter that most describes you. These are indeed generalizations, shades of grey really, but this is the simplist I can make what is truly a very complex topic.

A. "I am traditionally religious, meaning I practice one of the recognized faiths in a traditional manner and I do so consistantly and diligently. The laws of my faith are the laws of my life. I consider my faith's religious manual to be a genuine and worthwhile artifact written by a divine power of some sort."

B. "I am moderately religious, meaning I believe in one of the recognized faiths but practice infrequently and have some views that are different than my clergy. That said I stay the path far more than I stray. I believe my faith's religious manual to be inspired by divine right or a power greater than humanity."

C. "I consider myself a spiritual person. I wholeheartedly believe in a higher power but look at all formal religious institutions with a fair dose of suspition. I live the life of a 'good person' though some times I may act against what my faith extolls. I think that religious manuals have value for the messages they impart but I do not believe these books to be anything more than mortal work.

D. "At the end of the day I believe in something, I just can't express what it is. My belief is either a work in progress or too personal for any religion to be of assistance to me. I live according to my own code of ethics, some of which is in line with secular commandments. Religious texts rarely assist me in my journey and I have come to not refer to them at all."

E. I am an Agnostic, meaning that I don't know whether or not there is a higher power and I am not willing to speculate. True to the definition of an agnostic I really have not formulated an opinion on the subject. Likewise I have no opinion on religious text.

F. "I am an Athiest, meaning that I believe that there is no god and there has never been an afterlife. Just as primative cultures created myths, like Zeus throwing bolts of lightning during thunder storms, I find the concept of an all-knowing god to be a figment of humanity's collective imagination. Religious books are fairy tales in line with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. They have no merit beyond entertainment."

I hope this doesn't degrade into a flame-fest because I think everyone is at least curious to know the religious compass of their fellow Pit-Mate.

I would have to go with B, I do belive in the Christian religion and belive in it rather stringly, but I do tend to stray away from it every once in awhile.

Not trying to start a holy war or anything but I think that Catholics suck

Sinosec

D D D D D

The[H]uman

A

khime

F

The problem with trying to prove or disprove God(s) is that there are no testifiable conditions as required by scientific method. Religious people always use the argument that you cannot disprove God(s).

For example.

a) Where does god live? If thesists say he lives above us in the sky (heavens), this can be disproved as we have sent space rockets into space and there is no bearded man sitting there. Btw Christians and Jews read: Tower of Babel. Why would God be angry at men building a big tower to reach for the skys? God would just laugh when a) the tower would crumble under its own weight b) freeze to death c) suffocate from lack of oxygen

b) Where is hell? People probably used to get the idea that it was under the Earth due to fire erupting from volcanos. This is unlikely as we know what the internal core of the Earth is made of.

I could go on but I hope that explains why its pointless trying to prove / disprove God(s)

wickedragon

F-
I do not believe in anything spiritual. I do not believe there is an afterlife. I have speculated. I have thought. I have formed opinions and come to the conclusion that there is no evidence for there to be anyting of the sort.
But the lack of evidence deos not neccesarily mean that there is no such thing. So I hold open the possibility, if you find proof I will believe. I hope for an afterlife. But I do not believe in it.
As far as I am concerned; there are no gods.