General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
Pharmaceutical companies exploiting consumer health for gross profits

http://english.aljazeera.net/program...338837849.html

I'm kind of curious to see arguments on the other side. Is it defensible to allow companies to pursue profits at the expense of their consumer's health without any real consequences? Doesn't seem like the free market does much to protect consumer health.

(I know none of this is really new, but I'm just interested to see some discussion on the topic)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Educate me a bit on this:

Risperdal, afaik, at least in Finnishtan, is used for treatment of schizophrenia, ADHD among other things.

Now, the news bit said it isn't approved in the US at least for ADHD treatment, this came up about 13:50 into the newsbit when the woman said her kid got gynecomastia over that drug. How the fuck is this even possible, and shouldn't the doctor be blamed for this rather than the pharma industry?

edit// of course it's partly a question of marketing and perhaps dishonesty by the drug company, but doesn't the responsibility of prescribing a nonapproved drug display the incompetence of the doctor above all?
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

tegandje
LOOK AT ME, IM A FUCKIN HIPSTER
 
tegandje's Avatar
 
We should experiment on people and the remaining population can enjoy the plentiful resources
__________________
b35b36db324a18b072d431f4fbb833d1 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM tegandje is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Educate me a bit on this:

Risperdal, afaik, at least in Finnishtan, is used for treatment of schizophrenia, ADHD among other things.

Now, the news bit said it isn't approved in the US at least for ADHD treatment, this came up about 13:50 into the newsbit when the woman said her kid got gynecomastia over that drug. How the fuck is this even possible, and shouldn't the doctor be blamed for this rather than the pharma industry?

edit// of course it's partly a question of marketing and perhaps dishonesty by the drug company, but doesn't the responsibility of prescribing a nonapproved drug display the incompetence of the doctor above all?
This is a good point. The drug companies basically pay doctors to do it, but that's not really an excuse. Wonder if there's any legal responsibility on the Dr side.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
The entire pharmaceutical industry is a set up in a terrifyingly non-medical way. They don't cure anything because all they do is make new versions of old drugs to maintain their 10 year patents and profits. The drugs that do pass clinical trials frequently have a "success rate" a fraction of a hair better than a placebo. They market prescription drugs directly to people "ask your doctor (dealer)". They spend way more on advertising than they do on actual research. If it weren't for the government funded base research that goes on in universities and research labs we probably wouldn't ever get anywhere. We'd just get a new viagra every decade or so.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Last edited by pyramid; 08-12-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
If your doctor wants to prescribe something for you/your kid I'd recommend looking it up online first. you can find info on any prescription drug including what it is supposed to be used for, what the possible side effects are, and the mechanism of action. Even a lay person who looked up risperdal might question why their kid would be given a drug made for schizophrenia to treat their ADD/ADHD.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
Wonder if there's any legal responsibility on the Dr side.



Are you serious?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

matt00926
baaaaaa
 
matt00926's Avatar
 
Research what you're being subscribed, also generic meds are much cheaper and use the same ingredients and are supposed to follow the same guidelines set by the FDA.
__________________
cd09d75f80807fd8baa143b39fa895eb [pornmay.com]
Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 AM matt00926 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00926 View Post
Research what you're being subscribed, also generic meds are much cheaper and use the same ingredients and are supposed to follow the same guidelines set by the FDA.
*prescribed....and it's true that generics you get at licensed American pharmacies are virtually the same as their name brand counterparts, but there are drug companies in Mexico, South America, India etc.. that make "generics" that don't fall under FDA or any other true guidelines.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post


Are you serious?

Probably should have phrased it "Wonder how far the legal responsibility on the Dr side stretches."

It's obviously not illegal for doctors to accept the money from drug companies and the article didn't really touch on whether the doctors prescribing risperdal got in trouble or not.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 AM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

cokezeroholic
 
cokezeroholic's Avatar
 
Well when people knowingly put out drugs that will harm as much as they help then I question their commitment to actually helping the consumers.
__________________
There are doorways I haven't opened, and windows I've yet to look through. Going forward may not be the answer ... maybe I should go back.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM cokezeroholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Well when people knowingly put out drugs that will harm as much as they help then I question their commitment to actually helping the consumers.

Right, because drug companies are going out of their way to spend extra money to add side effects to their medication to possibly kill off their customers

Some people think that taking medication for acid reflux or enlarged prostates is worth the .000001% chance of it giving you a heart attack or making you off yourself.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
The entire pharmaceutical industry is a set up in a terrifyingly non-medical way. They don't cure anything because all they do is make new versions of old drugs to maintain their 10 year patents and profits. The drugs that do pass clinical trials frequently have a "success rate" a fraction of a hair better than a placebo. They market prescription drugs directly to people "ask your doctor (dealer)". They spend way more on advertising than they do on actual research. If it weren't for the government funded base research that goes on in universities and research labs we probably wouldn't ever get anywhere. We'd just get a new viagra every decade or so.

And if they do come up with a new drug, lets say one that retards aids so well that people can live well pat 40 with HIV then the government takes it from them after they spent 300 million dollars over eight years developing it and lets other drug companies sell it for pennies.

But yeah the FDA is letting companies fast track drugs that have not had sufficient trials done on. Drugs that are only marginally better than ones already on the market.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

möbiustrip
 
möbiustrip's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
The entire pharmaceutical industry is a set up in a terrifyingly non-medical way. They don't cure anything because all they do is make new versions of old drugs to maintain their 10 year patents and profits. The drugs that do pass clinical trials frequently have a "success rate" a fraction of a hair better than a placebo. They market prescription drugs directly to people "ask your doctor (dealer)". They spend way more on advertising than they do on actual research.
And that reality is government-approved. Note: if you sell pills and are not party to that reality, the government kicks your shit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
If your doctor wants to prescribe something for you/your kid I'd recommend looking it up online first.
Somebody remove that information from the internet! It's not government-approved! The children!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
If it weren't for the government funded base research that goes on in universities and research labs we probably wouldn't ever get anywhere.
You mean to say actual medicine has value -- note, this implies medical care cannot be a human right -- and is crowded out by establishments that know how to grease the FDA?
__________________
I personally believe that there has to be a law that limits the power of the supreme court. -- R@$T@M@N
Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 AM möbiustrip is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
whaddayamean cannot be a human right? Lots of things some people think of as a basic human right has monetary value. Water, for example.

Not that I'm making an argument about medical care being or not being a human right either way but...
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-14-2010, 07:03 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.