General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

PrettyInPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajchez
Stupid question....more for my information than anything else.....

I've always heard that a girl can get pregnant during her period. She ovulates a week early or something and the sperm just wait around for the opportune time. The thing that gets me though, is that I read that the egg can hang around after the period or another egg can be released like a few days after her period. If the egg were to get fertilized by sperm, how could it live seeing as there is little to no womb in the woman? I'm pretty sure this is low probability, but does anyone know how this happens?

An egg is released way up in the fallopian tubes and it takes a few days to be fertilized, travel down to the uterus, and be implanted. It is unlikely that it happens but a girl can be having her period (thus sheding the lining from her uterus) while the egg is being released up in the fallopian tubes and her period would be over by the time the fertilized egg gets down to the uterus to implant.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

kaptain

Anyone know the latest news on the male birth control pills? It's very annoying to google the stuff and read articles from almost two years ago saying that they're almost perfectly effective with nill side-effects and not have any way to try the things.

Striker169

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain
Anyone know the latest news on the male birth control pills? It's very annoying to google the stuff and read articles from almost two years ago saying that they're almost perfectly effective with nill side-effects and not have any way to try the things.

I too want to know

PrettyInPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain

I was reading the August Marie Claire magazine when I found this: "Researchers in Australia found a hormone that blocks sperm production in men. Teh drug could be available in the US in less than 5 years"

someguy335

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluetrend
This, coming from a person who got his (now but not at the time) wife pregnant while she was on the pill and condom was used. Obviously we were born to make babies together.

And it's stories like that which sometimes scare the hell out of me with wanting to use just the pill and nothing else.

fubarific_chick
This one time at b7 camp...

Just a side note on the Pill... Another con to it is that if clinical depression is present in your family there's a chance you'll have that side affect as well. I tried to start the pill last year and it ended badly, so make sure you research into your family medical history first.

lannie_poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
My period skipped the whole month of June, so I purchased a pregnancy test.

The results were negative.

After stopping birth control, how long does it take for a period to return?

up to 6 months until your period is regular...
i also had the same problem with Ortho-Tricyclen Lo... i spotted for months, got sick of it and havnt been on bc since

Forrest
I am in serous need of a renovated title.. It's like 2 years old. It would make me and my family ver

girlfriend had an abortion two weeks ago, would that have any effect on her fertility now.?

PrettyInPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
girlfriend had an abortion two weeks ago, would that have any effect on her fertility now.?

According to Planned Parenthood, having an abortion should not effect fertility

g
T00L
stuff and things

Can anyone explain to me the real stats behind the condoms effeciveness... I dont care about Annual Rate of Pregnancy, its usless because it doesnt say how often these people are going at it during the period of a year. What if they are doing it 10x a day vs another couple doing it once a month, wouldnt that throw everything off a bit?...

I want to know what the odds are of having sex 1 time with 1 condom and its effecivness rate. Not a years worth of . Any infos would be nice

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by g View Post
Can anyone explain to me the real stats behind the condoms effeciveness... I dont care about Annual Rate of Pregnancy, its usless because it doesnt say how often these people are going at it during the period of a year. What if they are doing it 10x a day vs another couple doing it once a month, wouldnt that throw everything off a bit?...

ARP is the measure used because the statistic you want truly is worthless. ARP is the average - the extremes in the sample (and they use very large samples) are averaged out. Further, we're talking about fertilization as a rare event, which requires a figure encompassing a large enough time span to be meaningful. Finally, a couple going at it 10x a day probably has marginally greater risk of pregnancy than the published ARP of the method they are using, but the ARPs are not meant to predict their individual chance of parenthood in the next year - it is meant to provide a standard measure of contraception effectiveness, so they can look at all the methods, see their relative worth, and choose wisely.

Quote:
I want to know what the odds are of having sex 1 time with 1 condom and its effecivness rate. Not a years worth of . Any infos would be nice
There are many things that make this a worthless statistic but I'll keep it simple: at any one point in time the chances of fertilization are highly dependent on the woman's reproductive physiology at that moment. For most of the month the answer to your question is 0%, but that doesn't have shit to do with the condom; it has to do with the fact that no ovulation event has occured and provided an ovum for fertilization. Trouble is, you can't be sure when ovulation occurs.

Which is why ARPs are used to cover a long time span characterized by bursts of fertility and the relatively rare (when using competent contraception) event of fertilization.

g
T00L
stuff and things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
ARP is the measure used because the statistic you want truly is worthless. ARP is the average - the extremes in the sample (and they use very large samples) are averaged out. Further, we're talking about fertilization as a rare event, which requires a figure encompassing a large enough time span to be meaningful. Finally, a couple going at it 10x a day probably has marginally greater risk of pregnancy than the published ARP of the method they are using, but the ARPs are not meant to predict their individual chance of parenthood in the next year - it is meant to provide a standard measure of contraception effectiveness, so they can look at all the methods, see their relative worth, and choose wisely.

There are many things that make this a worthless statistic but I'll keep it simple: at any one point in time the chances of fertilization are highly dependent on the woman's reproductive physiology at that moment. For most of the month the answer to your question is 0%, but that doesn't have shit to do with the condom; it has to do with the fact that no ovulation event has occured and provided an ovum for fertilization. Trouble is, you can't be sure when ovulation occurs.

Which is why ARPs are used to cover a long time span characterized by bursts of fertility and the relatively rare (when using competent contraception) event of fertilization.

A+
Thanks

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by g View Post
A+
Thanks

Anytime

yolo

Ugh, I should just quit having sex completely until my gf gets on some real BC. The occasional condom break/slipping around the time of ovulation is just too much to worry about.

SpaceCase

I'm sure this has been covered before, but since it's kind of the current topic...here's a little info on female physiology regarding ovulation, so you don't have to hunt it down.

It's not going to be 100% effective, as there is always the possibility of something weird happening, basically the last 2 weeks of a woman's cycle are the "safest." That is not to say the last "half" as women have different cycles. Regardless of the length of the cycle though, Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days prior to the next period's start.

On a "standard" 28 day cycle, that would be day 14, so days 15-28 should be fairly safe. On a 30 day cycle, it would be day 16, so 17-30 would be safe (I'd wait an extra day to be sure tho). If you (or your girl, if u r a guy) keep careful track of things, you should be able to predict pretty closely when ovulation will occur. The least safe days are going to be (on a 28 day cycle) days 11-14. Sperm can generally survive in there for up to about 3 days. Also, there is always the off chance of ovulation happening earlier than normal, causing a shorter cycle one month, so you can't be all "oh, it's only day 9, so we're ok" cuz what if for some strange reason the egg drops on day 11 or 12? (It's not common, but is normal for things like stress to cause this to happen, but from what I understand, much less common for ovulation to be later in the cycle.)

So rather than just not doing it AT ALL until she gets on the pill, at least you know that you can be reasonably safe for that last week or two before she expects to get her period...better a couple times a month than not at all, right?

Also, if her period is real irregular, it's MUCH harder to predict this sort of thing...AND it's much easier to use this info for TRYING to get pregnant, than trying NOT to get pregnant.

Member of the Genmay Women's Krew.