General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

gwiber

3rd Monitor?

I am a screen space whore. Sue me!

I've used two monitors since at least 2007.

And I don't know why I never thought of it until now. But. I have a discreet graphics card, that I plug my two monitors in, I noticed the motherboard itself also has a monitor plug in.

What are the chances it works and I can plug in a third monitor there? Or will doing so just shut off my graphics card in favor of that monitor port?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Typhoon43

Is this a custom made PC or a brand name? I know that some of the Dells we run at work will NOT drive a monitor with onboard if you also add a video card. I believe it may be BIOS based though.

VoodoochildBC
cutie patootie <3 bonnie

It totally depends on the board - I've seen Dells that can do it (although admittedly they were higher end Precision models) and build-your-own boards that can't. Like Typhoon said, BIOS / UEFI settings will clarify that.

Also, not sure if you've explored this avenue already, but many cards do support > 2 displays... you just might need an adapter to do it. That would probably be ideal, performance-wise, vs. the onboard graphics.

Summary: Read your motherboard / GPU manual(s)

gwiber

Its a 3yr old pc. Going on 4. NVidia.. 620 I believe. it only has two monitor ports on it. I doubt its able to deal with ore than 2.

I;d just be wanting to use a 3rd monitor for things like reading PDFs and web pages. Just curious was all.

It's a pre-built but I bought it from like.. ibuypower when I got it its in an ASUS Case. etc.

Typhoon43

If you're not a gamer and just need trips, maybe upgrade to a Geforce GTX 550Ti? They're available for under 100 dollars at this point. That will drive 3 monitors. You may need a few adapters to match the connectivity on your monitors though.