General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheJesus
did somebody say buttsechs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
This???

Well, because bikes are so prone to crashing, the major cost to insurance companies is claims on damage to the bike. This is pretty well the inverse of cars, where liability is the big issue.

As an example: I bought my zx-6 rat bike for $1800. After fixing it up and all it was worth $2500 on a good day. Full comprehensive coverage for my bike would've been around $2000 a year, while liability was only around $600 for a year. I got ONLY liability, meaning that if I drop/crash the bike then that cost comes out of my own pocket.

Now, something you'll have to watch out very carefully for is theft if you go this route: you can't leave your bike at movie theatres, you can't leave it outside at night, and in some areas you can't even leave it out at your work. If this is going to be your primary transportation you will, at the very least, need a disc brake lock, and preferably an alarm. My bike was such a piece that I rarely worried about it, and an SV is probably pretty safe, but a gixxer or a cbr would get stolen very quickly if left unattended.

So yeah, if you're getting quotes for full-comp that would cover the cost of your entire bike in a year or two, just go with liability and be extra careful both in your riding and how you park the bike.

I hope I got the right question btw I'll be choked if I typed this shit for nothing
I got ya, should I call my state farm agent that I am on good terms with to check this out?

Oh, and when are the '06's coming out, I want a price drop on the 99-00's

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Accident Prone
roommate = :drool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
Now, something you'll have to watch out very carefully for is theft if you go this route: you can't leave your bike at movie theatres, you can't leave it outside at night, and in some areas you can't even leave it out at your work. If this is going to be your primary transportation you will, at the very least, need a disc brake lock, and preferably an alarm. My bike was such a piece that I rarely worried about it, and an SV is probably pretty safe, but a gixxer or a cbr would get stolen very quickly if left unattended.

I am going to be leaving my ninja 250 unatteneded when i go to work 8-midnight.
I'm on a college campus during the summer which means like 1 cop to every 10 people.

Should I look into full coverage insurance or an alarm or just dont worry about it?

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident Prone
I am going to be leaving my ninja 250 unatteneded when i go to work 8-midnight.
I'm on a college campus during the summer which means like 1 cop to every 10 people.

Should I look into full coverage insurance or an alarm or just dont worry about it?

Is there something you can use as a ground anchor? Like one of those U-shaped crash bars around fire hydrants or something? I think that would be most economical. Failing that a disc lock should be okay.

The most important factor, though, is how the bike looks. Is it pretty well brand new or is it early nineties? Most thieves wouldn't bother with a 250 unless it was basically off the showroom floor.

Passion > Precision

s0ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFleshRocket
You really REALLY don't want to buy a new bike for your first bike. You'll get raped on new-bike depreciation as well as whatever damage you do to it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a USED Ninja 250 or 500 for a lot less than a new one and save the rest of the money towards buying a 600 or bigger when you are good enough to ride one.

i can't find any used ninja 250's or 500's around my area. What do you mean i'll get raped by new-bike depreciation? i did a quote for progressive insur. for the 05 Ninja 250R, and it came out to around $140 a month with

Bodily Injury, Property Damage and Guest Passenger Coverage $12,500 person/$25,000 accident/$7,500 property damage
Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury Coverage $12,500 person/$25,000 accident
Medical Payments Coverage $1,000 each person
Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Coverage No coverage
Comprehensive Coverage $1,000 Deductible
Collision Coverage $1,000 Deductible
Roadside Assistance Coverage No coverage
Custom Parts and Equipment Coverage $1,000

c215ac350d6d22584ee39320e9fa605c

Last edited by s0ad; 04-15-2005 at 03:08 PM..

Accident Prone
roommate = :drool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad
i can't find any used ninja 250's or 500's around me. What do you mean i'll get raped by new-bike depreciation?
If you drive it for a month, it's value drops by $1000.
If you drop it once, it's value drops by $2000.

Also, I had trouble finding one too. Just wait it out on ebay. Eventually there will be one within a reasonable driving distance of you (unless you live in antartica).

SVTGMoney

I'm considering starting on an older 600cc sport bike, but still havn't decided between an ex500 and a 600cc. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'2" 225lbs, and I'm thinkin between a CBR600 F3 and a YZF-600, thoughts on the two and will the ex500 be enough for my size?

"Holy crap, Optimus Prime is Jewish?" - Peter

58dae6d64d346ebb8bef9db015eaf566

SebG
SebTheDJ
Pierdolcie sie

F3's are pretty nice bikes. I would recommend one as a first bike.

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTGMoney
I'm considering starting on an older 600cc sport bike, but still havn't decided between an ex500 and a 600cc. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'2" 225lbs, and I'm thinkin between a CBR600 F3 and a YZF-600, thoughts on the two and will the ex500 be enough for my size?

If you weighed 120lbs I'd say hell no....at 225....well, then it starts to become a decision on your part of how steep you'd like your learning curve to be. That ex500 will make you quicker than almost any car on the road (any factory stock car, really). The F3 and YZF are great bikes, but they do put out ~90hp, or 40hp more than that ex500, which is almost twice as much. Insurance will be more expensive, and you'll be at greater risk of theft.

Really, it comes down to your decision: if you don't mind a little extra outlay of cash (moreso with insurance than buying the bike) and you think you can excercise a lot of restraint while you gain experience, then both would be great bikes for you.

Passion > Precision

leadmetal1402
pwned by mod

hey guys, i'm a and a look at me!

Last edited by OneWhoKnows; 04-18-2005 at 07:07 PM..

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmetal1402
bikes are for pussy s. why is this sticky like anybody gives a flying shit?

get out of my thread asshat 29k

bikes > you

Passion > Precision

ReTECH

Of intrest to beginner bikers with lots of plastic, I've read that the frame sliders do, and do not, help save body work in a slow or standing drop. Any thoughts on this? Any good places to get `em for the beginner bikes listed here?

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTECH
Of intrest to beginner bikers with lots of plastic, I've read that the frame sliders do, and do not, help save body work in a slow or standing drop. Any thoughts on this? Any good places to get `em for the beginner bikes listed here?

Well, they certainly save the bodywork from being destroyed completely (scratches are a lot better than shattering it), so it can just be repainted or left as is instead of replaced, and it also protects the handlebars and clutch/brake levers from getting tweaked. Handlbars are like $80 a piece minimum, and they break easily. With some bikes, if you break the clutch/brake lever, you have to replace the whole unit, not just the lever itself. $$$

I haven't bought any yet myself, so I can't really recommend a good place to buy em.

Passion > Precision

nonhuman

How realistic would a bike be as a sole means of transportation in the city? I've been toying with the idea for a while since a 250 seems cheaper in the long run (price, maintenance, gas, insurance... right?) than a car. What worries me the most, though, is that it wouldn't work too well in the winter.

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhuman
How realistic would a bike be as a sole means of transportation in the city? I've been toying with the idea for a while since a 250 seems cheaper in the long run (price, maintenance, gas, insurance... right?) than a car. What worries me the most, though, is that it wouldn't work too well in the winter.

I will tell you this; sport radials mix VERY poorly with anything even related to ice. Unless you can fit some studded tires or something (and dress up like an eskimo) you won't be happy on a bike during winter.

If you lived in California though it might almost be practical.

edit: and yes, a 250 is VERY cheap to own and operate. Usually full comprehensive is under a grand/year, they never break, and it gets almost 80mpg.

Passion > Precision

nonhuman

Montreal (or perhaps maybe Boston, depends on what college I go to)

To be honest, even though I live right near Boston, I haven't really looked at city streets during winter much. I thought that they don't hold snow or ice for long due to the traffic, though.

edit: Also heard that carbed bikes are a PITA to start in the cold. True?

Last edited by nonhuman; 04-19-2005 at 08:44 PM..