General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

BReilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahan View Post
What about a PS90? Very compact, holds 50 rounds, ammo is interchangeable with the 5-7 pistol. If you go the SBR route it would be hard to find a smaller package with that amount of firepower.

I had to lol at your mentioning ammo interchangeability with the most obscure pistol ever.

[nitpick]Radom P64s aren't on the C&R list yet, as far as I know.[/nitpick] They should be though

What about the Hi-Point Carbine? Can be had in either .40S&W or 9mm, use Glock magazines, so high-capacity magazines are available and inexpensive. They aren't collapsible, but are pretty compact. Cheap as dirt, too.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

StratusFear
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReilley View Post
I had to lol at your mentioning ammo interchangeability with the most obscure pistol ever.

[nitpick]Radom P64s aren't on the C&R list yet, as far as I know.[/nitpick] They should be though

What about the Hi-Point Carbine? Can be had in either .40S&W or 9mm, use Glock magazines, so high-capacity magazines are available and inexpensive. They aren't collapsible, but are pretty compact. Cheap as dirt, too.

I've been thinking about picking up a Hi-Point Carbine...Not too sure about them though? Anyone have one?

Daemonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratusFear View Post
I've been thinking about picking up a Hi-Point Carbine...Not too sure about them though? Anyone have one?

they work great for the money

Naveronski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk0220 View Post
As far as I know the H&K416 isn't legal for civilian sales in the United States. I know there is a civilian legal version of it recently approved in Germany, but not here.

It is legal, but H&K isn't selling them to civilians. There are several already in civilian hands from before they discontinued the program, but they are rare and quite expensive so good luck getting one.

Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-boy View Post
register it as a pistol

*problem solved

I hope you're kidding, because once you put a stock on it or a forward hand grip it becomes a SBR and all required paper work is required. Though I have been told by a knowledgeable fellow at a local shop ( I think Firehawk0220 was with me at the time) that you can have a forward hand grip attached by a class III smith or MFG??? and register it for $5-$10 and it is legal. I may be remembering wrong.

Firehawk0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I hope you're kidding, because once you put a stock on it or a forward hand grip it becomes a SBR and all required paper work is required. Though I have been told by a knowledgeable fellow at a local shop ( I think Firehawk0220 was with me at the time) that you can have a forward hand grip attached by a class III smith or MFG??? and register it for $5-$10 and it is legal. I may be remembering wrong.

That is what the guy said, but I don't know if there is truth to it. In any case a forward grip isn't the same thing as a stock.

As for carbines there are plenty of legal choices, but all of them approved by the ATF are going to have an overall length of 26". The Beretta CX4 Storm being one of my favorites that fires a pistol caliber.

monkey-boy

monkey-boy

Quote:

this buckmark Silhouette has a 10" barrel and its definitely aint no sbr.

IIRC it when you have a shoulder stock AND a short ass barrel you gotta sbr it. Unless its a C&R

Last edited by monkey-boy; 05-21-2008 at 12:27 PM..

BPJ

Quote:

A forward grip makes it an all-other-weapon (AOW). If it comes from the factory as an AOW it is a $5 tax transfer. If you want to put a grip on it, it's a $200 manufacturing stamp.

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.

Firehawk0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-boy View Post

this buckmark Silhouette has a 10" barrel and its definitely aint no sbr.

IIRC it when you have a shoulder stock AND a short ass barrel you gotta sbr it. Unless its a C&R

He didn't say anything about the barrel length. There are no limits on pistol barrel lengths. However putting a stock or a forward grip is what constitutes an SBR.

Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJ View Post
A forward grip makes it an all-other-weapon (AOW). If it comes from the factory as an AOW it is a $5 tax transfer. If you want to put a grip on it, it's a $200 manufacturing stamp.

That's what it was called, AOW.

flood
Nothing in this world worth having comes easy.

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like to get what I want, I'll have to either give up shooting from the shoulder, or go with a folding gun like the sub-2000. I'll make a new thread shortly.

I'd like to use pistol caliber (9mm) because it's cheap, and I like to shoot a lot (~1500rounds/month). I'll get more practice with it and hence, I'll be more effective with it.

Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like to get what I want, I'll have to either give up shooting from the shoulder, or go with a folding gun like the sub-2000. I'll make a new thread shortly.

I'd like to use pistol caliber (9mm) because it's cheap, and I like to shoot a lot (~1500rounds/month). I'll get more practice with it and hence, I'll be more effective with it.
http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_545x39R.htm

5.45 can be cheaper to shoot than 9mm, but I am unsure of the quality on the surplus stuff. "Russian" calibers in general tend to be less expensive these days, probably because of the US demand for 5.56mm and 7.62x51, which has really gone up in price the past few years.

Just a benchmark for reference:
1000 rnds. 5.45: $166 (Ammoman)
1000 rnds. 5.56: $269 (Ammoman)
1000 rnds. 9mm: $195 including 6% tax (I buy mine at Walmart)
1000 rnds. 7.62x54R: $159 (local gun show price)
1000 rnds. 7.62x51: $520 (Ammoman)

Also, for practice, if you end up choosing something common or with aftermarket support, you might want to kick around the idea of finding an airsoft replica or a .22LR conversion kit. Depending on the weapon, it sounds like you might justify the cost of one of those in a month or two.

stupid-mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk0220 View Post
That is what the guy said, but I don't know if there is truth to it. In any case a forward grip isn't the same thing as a stock.

As for carbines there are plenty of legal choices, but all of them approved by the ATF are going to have an overall length of 26". The Beretta CX4 Storm being one of my favorites that fires a pistol caliber.

Good news is that the feds measure rifles with the stocks extended! Some states like shit ass cali measure overall length when folded.

None the less, don't get a felony for illegally configuring an SBR. Truthfully the keltec sub2000 is the best gun for what the OP is looking for.

shenanergize

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratusFear View Post

i own a hipoint 9mm carbine

fun as hell to shoot, not to mention it was 200$ OTD for it and 100 rounds

never had any problems, there is a badass aftermarket stock for it, thinking about getting it but i don't go shooting too much