Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

No, Z1 2.5".

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum

So unfortunately, the 300ZX is still not back terrorizing the roads. After two days hard at it, the motor is almost all the way back together, so I'm pretty happy about the progress.

EGR plug for the plenum. I've been running with a non-functional EGR for 3 years now (the valve seized, a pretty common thing), so this is just a formalization of the arrangement (still passes emissions with flying colors).

Beauty shot - the cam covers are all on, the upper and lower timing covers are on, it's almost all done.

Oil pan and turbo drains are on, too

Plenum, throttlebodies, PCV, water line bypass, idle air lines, balance tube, spark plugs, and coils are all on. All that's left is actually mounting the accessories, like the air conditioner compressor, the power steering pump mount, and the alternator. Helper is in the lower right.

After taking the condenser out of the front, it was obvious that I hadn't cleaned well enough (radiators are wonderful things to catch crap in...), so we took out all of the intercooler piping and pressure washed again, more thoroughly.

The smaller of the two lines running to the evaporator (the heat exchanger for the AC that lives in the dash) needed replacing, after I mangled it a few years ago:

For some reason, Nissan made it a single line, that you have to basically take the entire passenger side of the engine bay apart to get to. It was just lovely, but now it's replaced, as are all of the O-rings in the system, and the dessicator, so I should be able to run the newer R-134A without thrashing the system:

...and because Lurker wants to tell me all about what I did wrong by following the directions, this is a closeup of the oil drain from the turbo. The feed is in the picture, but it's obscured, owing to the fact that there's a fucking lot of shit in there to get in the way. At any rate, the feed is the braided steel line that's running across the bottom of the block - it works its way up to the top of the CHRA, where there's an integrated restrictor.

Jehannum

Oh, and in case anyone has any doubts at all: buy the pre-formed silicone hoses. The fitment on the Z has been superb, the cost has been on par with OEM hoses, and I'll never have to replace these ones.

Typhoon43

Looking good man.When do think she'll be back terrorizing the streets?>

Jehannum

Hopefully next week.

AtomicFire

one of the dream cars I wish to own one day, videos and when you get it back together!

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFire View Post
one of the dream cars I wish to own one day, videos and when you get it back together!

Yep one of the many Nissans/Datsuns I must own no matter how many year down the road that may be.

Jehannum

Fat bastard coming off the engine stand:

New organic/kevlar clutch installed:

Lubing up the engine bay so that fat bastard will fit:

Engine is in!

Today: install transmission, driveshaft, heat shields, exhaust, and try to button it up under the hood (belts, intake hoses, condenser, radiator, wiring, prime and start).

DrifterX27

Good stuff dude, can't wait to see that thing in the streets again.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post

...and because Lurker wants to tell me all about what I did wrong by following the directions, this is a closeup of the oil drain from the turbo. The feed is in the picture, but it's obscured, owing to the fact that there's a fucking lot of shit in there to get in the way. At any rate, the feed is the braided steel line that's running across the bottom of the block - it works its way up to the top of the CHRA, where there's an integrated restrictor.

I just wanted to see how the factory does it, thats all. I had to re-invent the wheel to get oil and drain on my car so I was curious how the engineers did it.

Where does the feed come from?

----

I thought kevlar clutches weren't as good as organic. I read somewhere they tend to over heat and slip?

The Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I just wanted to see how the factory does it, thats all. I had to re-invent the wheel to get oil and drain on my car so I was curious how the engineers did it.

----

I thought kevlar clutches weren't as good as organic. I read somewhere they tend to over heat and slip?

Thats why is a combination, you get the power hold of one and the drive-ability of the other.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spyder View Post
Thats why is a combination, you get the power hold of one and the drive-ability of the other.

Oops. I misread his post.

solareon

once again gdamn that is a huge pile of motor. that hoist setup looks a little sketchy

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Comes from an oil passage in the block, right up near the oil pump, on the driver's side.

The passenger side comes from near the oil filter tree, aft towards the clutch.

Jehannum

We finished the passenger side of the engine yesterday, except for the power steering pump (which I seem to have lost the bolt for). As much as I could, the wiring is reinstalled. Since I'm redoing the fuel injector/coil pack harness with new style injector clips, and coil pack clips that aren't broken to hell, those are not yet hooked up.
Remaining items are:
  • wiring (ran out of solder before completion)
  • reconnect turbo intake pipe on the driver side - it's like an elephant looking at a fly with rape in mind
  • driver side turbo hardpipes (shiny things like on he passenger side)
  • hang power steering pump
  • Install and fill radiator

New big badass intercoolers are installed: