General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

godofcheese

Lots of factors here. I think that while the AR would do great if you have an ammo stockpile, what are you really going to be fighting? If I just need it for hunting long term, I think I will be keeping my Sharps rifle. I can make my own blackpowder if I need, I can melt my own lead for the bullets, the cartridges will not break due to the lower pressures, I can make my own primers even.

The sharps can hit at 500 yards with ease open sights. There are stories about them hitting MUCH further then that with no problems. The only real downside is reloading speed. Its a single shot falling block action. So, not exactly fast at all. Might want to keep that old colt working for a close up backup. (have one of those that we shoot blackpowder with as well)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GuNsL!NgEr

I can certainly see the benefit of a black powder gun in a rural setting.REICH and i live on the outskirts of a major city in Ohio.Not the suburbs.Id say you arm yourself due to location and threat.Here we would deal with alot of "spill"running from the city.We chose the ar15 due to its multi role capability and familiarity with that system.Ive had ak's and even had one break on me.Simply not as accurate and almost no domestic ammo production makes it a bad choice unless you have a big stockpile of ammo and a couple of pre headspaced bolts and carriers.I do carry spare parts for both my ar15s and appropriate cleaning supplies.Point being just prepare and do it seriously.

godofcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuNsL!NgEr View Post
I can certainly see the benefit of a black powder gun in a rural setting.REICH and i live on the outskirts of a major city in Ohio.Not the suburbs.Id say you arm yourself due to location and threat.Here we would deal with alot of "spill"running from the city.We chose the ar15 due to its multi role capability and familiarity with that system.Ive had ak's and even had one break on me.Simply not as accurate and almost no domestic ammo production makes it a bad choice unless you have a big stockpile of ammo and a couple of pre headspaced bolts and carriers.I do carry spare parts for both my ar15s and appropriate cleaning supplies.Point being just prepare and do it seriously.

Exactly. You need to be prepared for your own situation and enviroment. I don't plan on being in a urban enviroment. If I was, I wouldn't be using blackpowder or any kind of slow rifle. I have access to such if we need it . . . but it isn't going to the a primary gun.

Now, if walmart could keep .22 in stock so I can get some more, I would just use the .22 converted ar.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rg0n View Post
but getting shot with a .22 will deter all but the most desperate attackers

uh what?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

GuNsL!NgEr

agreed this ammo shortage is bs!keep an eye on shotgun news and get in good with local suppliers and its alot easier to get it.

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
uh what?

have you ever shot a living thing, even a rabbit, EVEN with a .22 you will deal a significant injury. it's not the movies, you don't need 18 shots to stop someone. I guarantee you you shoot someone with a .22 round they're going to stop for a second and consider if they really want to continue on their current course of action.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
have you ever shot a living thing, even a rabbit, EVEN with a .22 you will deal a significant injury. it's not the movies, you don't need 18 shots to stop someone. I guarantee you you shoot someone with a .22 round they're going to stop for a second and consider if they really want to continue on their current course of action.

thats not exactly what i'm looking for in home defense.

Lewism1987
High 5, down low, 2 slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post

its a shtf rifle though, not a fortress cannon.

g0rg0n

Quote:

this isn't home defense, this is best shtf rifle. it's not all about defense, it's about hunting, when you're living in the woods you're going after small game, it's about weight, ammo acquisition, and protection.

it's retarded to go take some large caliber rifle solely for defense when it's going to destroy your game meat, be a pain in the ass to scavenge for ammo, and be unnecessarily heavy to lug around.

CommiePunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewism1987 View Post
its a shtf rifle though, not a fortress cannon.

i'd rather not worry about a determined person continue to charge me as i shoot them with a .22. A couple good shots with a bigger caliber make more sense to me.

/edit: my pick was .223

g0rg0n

Quote:
i'd rather not worry about a determined person continue to charge me as i shoot them with a .22. A couple good shots with a bigger caliber make more sense to me.

/edit: my pick was .223

shit even then, I don't care what you're shooting it won't kill anyone any quicker than a .22 in the eye will. plus given the availability of ammo you're more likely to be able to practice more and become a dead eye with it, also you can get off a lot of rounds with such a light piece.

CommiePunk

Quote:
shit even then, I don't care what you're shooting it won't kill anyone any quicker than a .22 in the eye will. plus given the availability of ammo you're more likely to be able to practice more and become a dead eye with it, also you can get off a lot of rounds with such a light piece.

i don't think planning on shooting someone in the eye with a .22 is a solid game plan, i'm sorry.

it's a good plentiful small game caliber, but thats about it for me.

g0rg0n

Quote:
i don't think planning on shooting someone in the eye with a .22 is a solid game plan, i'm sorry.

it's a good plentiful small game caliber, but thats about it for me.

I'm not saying that should be your game plan but it's the truth

also if you really think that's all it's good for I nominate you to conduct a .22 ballistics test for us and shoot yourself, even in the thigh and then come back and tell us what you thought.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
shot a few things when i was younger, mostly deer, mostly with my best friend and his grandfather
when i shot a young boar, and it turned and charged, then i shot it again and it kept coming.... yeah, i decided i wasn't going to do that again

a .22 is fine for anything rabbit sized or smaller, and it's great for fundamentals, hell it's even pretty good for when you have time to aim and setup your shot... but anything outside of that and you're stretching it's capabilities
Quote:
, pure

a .22 can be a great rifle, it's what i learned on, but as something to use when the SHTF? if you're talking the only rifle, then that's laughable

Asa of the Infidel Crew

CommiePunk

Quote:
I'm not saying that should be your game plan but it's the truth

also if you really think that's all it's good for I nominate you to conduct a .22 ballistics test for us and shoot yourself, even in the thigh and then come back and tell us what you thought.

lol... i carry a .22 mag as a last-ditch weapon. It's not my primary or backup (both .40), but it's better than nothing. I wouldn't want to count on it as my primary though, that's for sure.