General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!
 
g0rg0n's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
shot a few things when i was younger, mostly deer, mostly with my best friend and his grandfather
when i shot a young boar, and it turned and charged, then i shot it again and it kept coming.... yeah, i decided i wasn't going to do that again

a .22 is fine for anything rabbit sized or smaller, and it's great for fundamentals, hell it's even pretty good for when you have time to aim and setup your shot... but anything outside of that and you're stretching it's capabilities

, pure

a .22 can be a great rifle, it's what i learned on, but as something to use when the SHTF? if you're talking the only rifle, then that's laughable

I never said that it's the only rifle I'd grab, but it's definitely the first one I'd grab, I think if I had my 22 and my rem 7mm mag I'd be set for just about any eventuality, but that's not the question, the question is what is the best survival rifle, and I think it's the 22, personal defense is only a small part of surviving.
__________________
I'm the Billy Idol of genmay
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM g0rg0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
#31  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GuNsL!NgEr
 
j,a ciener is my bitch now!

ok both of you have valid points.there is a role for both rounds.the .223 was made into the 5.56x45 and introduced due to its fragmenting ability and light weight.it has range and stopping power and many different grain bullets and makes.the .22lr is about the same but lacks the 2k fps that the .223 has.i use both in my shtf rifle.40grain for .22 practice and the 60grain aguila sss for shtf and it does stabilize in a 1:9 twist .222 ar barrel very well.for .223 i use standard federal xm193 5.56 as multi role and 75 grain black hills for big nasty stuff.so see you are both right.its weapon range and terminal ballistics.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM GuNsL!NgEr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#32  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
i don't think planning on shooting someone in the eye with a .22 is a solid game plan, i'm sorry.

it's a good plentiful small game caliber, but thats about it for me.
Ever shoot a 2x6 at say 50 yards?puts a hole through it(22 cal.).Guess what that would do to a head or any other part of the human body?no eye socket needed.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#33  

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U
 
Heathen-Yak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rg0n View Post
I know I'm going to get shit for this, but I really think the best rifle to have, not necessarily the only rifle I'd grab, but definitely the first would be a .22

ammo availability means no matter where you end up you can find ammo, it will kill small game and even a deer if you're a good shot. and it can be a decent weapon, granted it doesn't have stopping power, but getting shot with a .22 will deter all but the most desperate attackers, and even then once they're shot once your advantage raises a ton. also the weight issue, if you have to travel it's best to cut ounces and they weigh nothing.

I have a henry survival .22 that thing is so awesome. 8 rounds per magazine, 2 magazines, semi auto, the whole thing collapses into the stock which is water resistant and floats! all the metal is teflon coated.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM Heathen-Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
#34  

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday
 
CommiePunk's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
Ever shoot a 2x6 at say 50 yards?puts a hole through it(22 cal.).Guess what that would do to a head or any other part of the human body?no eye socket needed.

i don't think you understand how a bullet actually kills someone. Punching tiny holes is great but unless you actually hit the heart or brain (possibly lungs) then the person isn't going to go down immediately like you want. I don't want the person to die 2 hours later from bleeding out. Preferrably, I want them to go down for good immediately. The larger the round, the more likely you are to hit something important or at least cause larger wounds to incapacitate them.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 AM CommiePunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#35  

Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
shot a few things when i was younger, mostly deer, mostly with my best friend and his grandfather
when i shot a young boar, and it turned and charged, then i shot it again and it kept coming.... yeah, i decided i wasn't going to do that again

a .22 is fine for anything rabbit sized or smaller, and it's great for fundamentals, hell it's even pretty good for when you have time to aim and setup your shot... but anything outside of that and you're stretching it's capabilities

, pure

a .22 can be a great rifle, it's what i learned on, but as something to use when the SHTF? if you're talking the only rifle, then that's laughable

We kill deer with sub-sonic 22's on a weekly basis. not exactly the most humane thing to do but when you live in a place that allows no discharging of a firearm...

1 shot from a 22 will take a deer down. a minute later get close to the deer and put it out of it's misery.
__________________
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 AM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#36  

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday
 
CommiePunk's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
We kill deer with sub-sonic 22's on a weekly basis. not exactly the most humane thing to do but when you live in a place that allows no discharging of a firearm...

1 shot from a 22 will take a deer down. a minute later get close to the deer and put it out of it's misery.

that's a good way to injure them and have them run off.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 AM CommiePunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#37  

godofcheese
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
i don't think you understand how a bullet actually kills someone. Punching tiny holes is great but unless you actually hit the heart or brain (possibly lungs) then the person isn't going to go down immediately like you want. I don't want the person to die 2 hours later from bleeding out. Preferrably, I want them to go down for good immediately. The larger the round, the more likely you are to hit something important or at least cause larger wounds to incapacitate them.

That is why I use a 500 grain 45-70 round. Sure, its slow, but its HUGE. Also, it doesn't punch through stuff. It just breaks bones and throws targets to the ground.
__________________
he looks like m22 crossed with gordon freeman - maybe the haldron gordon freeman - Tongboy describing me
Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 PM godofcheese is offline  
Reply With Quote
#38  

Azralia
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
We kill deer with sub-sonic 22's on a weekly basis. not exactly the most humane thing to do but when you live in a place that allows no discharging of a firearm...

1 shot from a 22 will take a deer down. a minute later get close to the deer and put it out of it's misery.

sub-sonic .22? I call BS.

Shooting in a prohibited area and poaching? Classy.
__________________
4d62c1d3b5553a282280464c96cb8bad [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 PM Azralia is offline  
Reply With Quote
#39  

Defiler
 
Deer have been killed by the humble .22, and quite effectively.

You get close, aim for the neck or head, if it doesn't drop and instead takes off, wait 30 mins , then follow the blood and put it out of it's misery. No it is not humane, and yes a larger caliber would be better if available, but if you need to eat, it puts food on the table.

Bottom line, for a SURVIVAL caliber, you cant beat the .22. For the purposes of this discussion, It is THE ESSENTIAL survival rifle that needs to be anyone's arsenal who is serious. This isn't a discussion on self defense weapons. Securing food is more important than self defense in a SHTF anyways, although smart people would have a couple options available and not short change yourself to only one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azralia View Post

Shooting in a prohibited area and poaching? Classy.

I agree, pretty lame IMO.
__________________
9155fb13bb30f91c791f5348f9a9fa42
Old 06-05-2009, 02:48 PM Defiler is offline  
Reply With Quote
#40  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
i don't think you understand how a bullet actually kills someone. Punching tiny holes is great but unless you actually hit the heart or brain (possibly lungs) then the person isn't going to go down immediately like you want. I don't want the person to die 2 hours later from bleeding out. Preferrably, I want them to go down for good immediately. The larger the round, the more likely you are to hit something important or at least cause larger wounds to incapacitate them.
Those tiny holes turn into bigger holes by the time the bullet exspands or misshapes,mushrooms or do'es what ever it is it going to do.
Little hole or not would'nt want it in my head(go ahead)along with little bits of bone,hair etc.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#41  

Kimbalee
 
Kimbalee's Avatar
 
HK416?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Gen[M]ay [M]azda Club
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM Kimbalee is offline  
Reply With Quote
#42  

Social Misfit
pwned
 
Social Misfit's Avatar
 
Definately take my Marlin Model 60's with me in a SHTF situation, and carry my 1911 in my thigh holster for personal protection.

My reasoning? .22 is about as common as a housefly around here. Pretty much anyone who owns guns (everyone around here) will have at least one box in their vehicle. Almost no one here shoots .223 or 5.56. It's all hunting calibers like 30-30 or 30-06.

The only benefit to using .223 is the Army Ammunition Plant about an hour away from here. I'm sure they've got plenty of .223 laying around.
__________________
Fuck you Veeborg. Lying ass piece of shit. I hope you die in a fire. Same goes for DHermit.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 PM Social Misfit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#43  

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday
 
CommiePunk's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
Those tiny holes turn into bigger holes by the time the bullet exspands or misshapes,mushrooms or do'es what ever it is it going to do.
Little hole or not would'nt want it in my head(go ahead)along with little bits of bone,hair etc.

however keep in mind that larger rounds will also expand into even larger rounds.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 PM CommiePunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#44  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
however keep in mind that larger rounds will also expand into even larger rounds.
Truth I will concede that,but I would still rather use a couple of.22 rather
than a 9mil. or 7.62x39.I guess I think more in the line of saving the big
ordinace for a rainy day, but thats just me.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#45  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.