General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

xagent

What dog breed for a first time pet owner?

I'm thinking of getting a dog, but I've never owned a dog, or any pet. I was hoping you guys could help me decide what kind would best suit my lifestyle and wants.

About my living situation:

- Apartment in San Francisco. Urban environment. However, our building does have a backyard shared with the 3 flats in the building. So there's a backyard for it to run around and play in.
- Mild climate year round. 50's-70's is average temp year round.
- I go to work about 3 days a week. That means around 8-12 hours where I'm away from home for about 3 days/week. I work from home 2 days a week, so I'd be around all day then, plus weekends.

- Easy to groom, doesn't shed too much, low maintenance.
- prefer it to not bark as much, or at least be trained not to (due to neighbors, I personally don't care)
- Easy to train, intelligent
- Small to medium sized.
- No kids. Don't need a dog for protection either.

My lifestyle:
- I'm very energetic. Always on the go. So, I think I'd mesh well with an active dog. I DO NOT want a fat, lazy dog. (no bulldogs or pugs or mastiffs, for example)
- I can guarantee it at daily exercise once or twice a day on the couple of days I have to go into work: Playing in the park, out with me while I go walk/bike to fetch takeout dinner or run errands. But it would be early morning and again at night.
- Weekends and days I'm working from home, I can give it constant attention, and want it to tolerate lots of intense exercise - it needs to be able to keep up with me on my bike/run several miles fast, playing catch in various parks (with hills), the beach (live just several miles from the beach), being out and about for possibly the entire day on sunny weekends, festivals, trips.
- Also needs to be able to run/climb up 3 flights of stairs. I live on the 3rd floor.

Are there any athletic, active dogs that can also handle being alone for extended periods of time?

I was doing the online "what kind of dog" tests, and most of those told me to get a Brittany. I'd never even heard of this breed before. It seems up my alley in terms of looks, size, intelligence, and activeness. But my concern is being able to leave it home alone when I'm at work (i don't know if i can leave it in the backyard unattended, since it's technically shared)

Last edited by xagent; 07-02-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

mutt.

edit: from a shelter.

Xcric

OH MANY DAILY WALKS!

if you can only walk your dog once a day... get a cat.

xagent

Yes, I was definitely going to get a rescue from a shelter, and I didn't want a puppy.

let me clarify. today(monday) i'm at work. been out of the house from 9, won't be back home till about 7. A walk in the morning while i go get breakfast, then jog/run or hour in the park when I get home at night, out in the city with me while I go walk or bike to get dinner or run errands. Maybe some playtime in the backyard.

Tuesday i'll be working from home. this means being able to play with it all day. Running around in the yard. Out walking about in the city while I get lunch. Running around int the park. Being able to jog/run for several miles in the evening with me. 4th of July, it'd probably need to handle an entire day out running in the beach, at a barbeque in the park, etc... Come Thursday i'll be at work, same as Monday. Attention before/after, but unattended for 8-10 hours while at work. Come Friday, I'd be at home all day again, and it would be like tomorrow.

In other words, an active dog that likes to run, but also one that can be left at home about 3 days a week while I'm at work.

Last edited by xagent; 07-02-2012 at 05:22 PM..

zeos

don't do this

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

german shepard

Xcric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeos View Post
don't do this

i'd do colonel gentleman.

cokezeroholic

Doesn't sound like you'd give an athletic dog enough stimulation. Have fun cleaning up your chewed up stuff.

Ryuuko

An Akita..that way it can slap your neighbor's Pit Bull around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLnPe...eature=related

I doubt any dog will do well in the apartment you live in...more than likely you will have to keep in a crate all day

Xcric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Doesn't sound like you'd give an athletic dog enough stimulation. Have fun cleaning up your chewed up stuff.

this. if you can only walk it a few times a day do not get an athletic energetic dog.

TUT RAGE!!!

Northern Inuit.

aoeoae

golden retriever like in full house

everywhere you look

Xcric

just get a goat.

cokezeroholic

Get a dachshund.

Colonel Sanders

DJ Assault - Ass n Doggies