General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Talk me out of a hi-point v. 1st gun

Or dont - I heard they are great. Which is why I think i'll do it. There's a lot about it online and I read a lot of it but can I get a quick [m] consensus?

I used to think they are Chinese made for some reason, turns out US of A - sweet! Never fired my own gun as I don't have one. Dad has a couple - nothing fancy. Going to use it for fun at the range and hopefully never on anything that's alive. Added security at home is nice too though. I'll shoot maybe a hundred rounds and then shelf it anyway.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gribly

Decent reliable pistol. I've shot the .45 version. Rough trigger, ugly, low capacity, and roughly made. It works, but you can see where much more time could have been spent making the corners nice. I hear you do not want to fire several thousand rounds through one, or shoot +p ammo.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Decent reliable pistol. I've shot the .45 version. Rough trigger, ugly, low capacity, and roughly made. It works, but you can see where much more time could have been spent making the corners nice. I hear you do not want to fire several thousand rounds through one, or shoot +p ammo.

What wears out do you know?

"Hi-Point handguns are +P rated and accept all factory ammunition."

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand..._handguns.html

I doubt they'd make a claim without testing it, googling forums seems to support this. Is it true that a +p 9mm is = .45 acp? I don't need any more power than a normal 9mm offers, just curious. Oh and how much more is +p ammo on average?

gribly

Depends on what you get. .45 compared to 9mm +p is not fair since the .45 does more flesh damage and the 9mm will move faster. The caliber comes down to the shooter's preference on weight, size, and speed of the round. There's something for everyone. I'm just saying the gun IS cheaply made, and I know some had frames crack. Be sure you go to a range and try a hi-point vs. anything so that you know what the difference is in quality. I personally couldn't deal with a gun that rough, clunky, and ugly - but I am spoiled by my Beretta 96.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

I see. I don't care about the extra speed so I'll save the wear and tear I guess. I found a store in the next town over that carries them, I wonder if they have a range right there. I'll call and ask I guess. Is buying ammo at a sporting goods store considered a rip off?

Jack's raging erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
What wears out do you know?

"Hi-Point handguns are +P rated and accept all factory ammunition."

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand..._handguns.html

I doubt they'd make a claim without testing it, googling forums seems to support this. Is it true that a +p 9mm is = .45 acp? I don't need any more power than a normal 9mm offers, just curious. Oh and how much more is +p ammo on average?

+P is a half step toward magnum. All it really means is there's a larger powder charge behind the round. 9mm +P != .45 ACP. It just gives a little more muzzle velocity so it punches a little harder than standard 9mm. Also, what exactly are you expecting from the gun you intend to purchase? Is it strictly just a have fun down at the range gun? Do you want it for home defense?

If you're just looking for a fun at the range first time gun, you might not want to be so quick to write off a .22 LR pistol. They're fairly cheap (and so is the ammo), so you're not out a whole lot if you decide you don't like shooting. They're easier to work on the fundamentals of shooting with (If you have trouble with the fundamentals on a .22, you won't be very accurate with a .45 in all it's heavy recoil glory, either), as well as learning how cleaning and such works (less expensive stuff there, too).

Then there's the revolver versus semi-automatic question. Revolvers are very easy to maintain, and are less likely to jam. If you have a dud round, which you will if you shoot long enough, you just wait a bit, and let that dud round stay in the cylinder as it cycles to the next chamber. Automatics are a bit more difficult, both in operation and maintenance. You may have jams every now and then (e.g. spent round gets caught in the slide, a double feed, etc.), and dud rounds are a little more tricky to deal with.

Now, if you're looking for a home defense gun on top of fun time at the range, and it's your first gun, I would recommend the revolver. Just because of the simple reliability. Most gunfights, if you get in one, will occur in the space of a closet, so your 17 round magazine won't matter much. You'll never fire them all before it's over. Unless you're a cop. For some reason, they can fire two magazines at someone and barely manage to hit the ground. Personally, if you do spring for the revolver, I like the .357 Magnum. You can shoot .38 Special ammo through it at the range (so you don't tear your wrist apart, and it's easier on the wallet last time I checked, too.), and every now and then shoot .357 Mag through it to remind you of the recoil, and stay up on shooting your home defense loads (they have specific ammo for that. It is expensive, but that's because it's higher quality ammo, stores longer, and I hope you rarely have to use it, just like everyone else).

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD

The great thing about the Hi-point for self defense is the gun is so damn ugly it will scare most people off with out having to fire a single shot.

SocialMisfit

If you want to get a range gun i'd go for the Hi Point 995TS carbine instead of a pistol. Much more fun and way better reviewed than their pistols. I've had one for a few years now. Alot of times the 995TS will come to the range with me while my AR stays home.

Whistler's Booger

If you're just going to shoot a hundred rounds, why buy a gun at all? Just go rent one at a range...

If you ARE going to buy, I would seriously push you to buy something ... not junk. Something like a used glock or something. I would assume you'd pay bout $200 for a HP. You can find a used glock (or something else more credible) for about $300.

Your money. HP pistols just feel so, so shitty in the hand.

Caelum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler's Booger View Post
If you're just going to shoot a hundred rounds, why buy a gun at all? Just go rent one at a range...

If you ARE going to buy, I would seriously push you to buy something ... not junk. Something like a used glock or something. I would assume you'd pay bout $200 for a HP. You can find a used glock (or something else more credible) for about $300.

Your money. HP pistols just feel so, so shitty in the hand.

Yep yep yep and yep

RazorWind

Quote:
Curious: What do you mean by "more credible?"

Rancidpunk666

I wish I could find the hi point torture test video. They packed it full of mud and still fired. The only thing that killed it was hammering a bolt in the barrel. Good reliable gun. But for another 100 dollars you could get a river kp9 or sigma 9/40 new or a used m&p or glock
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

Whistler's Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Curious: What do you mean by "more credible?"

how about a pistol that:

1. if someone came along and gouged out your eyeballs with a screwdriver and forced it into your hand your first response would be 'OMG you gouged out my eyes!' instead of "OMFG what is this piece of shit you just stuck in my hand!?!?!'

2. if you saw a police officer carrying it you wouldn't immediately think "wow, nice halloween costume" or "OMG holy shit this police impersonator is about to rob the place!!!"

3. if you saw it on the cover of a credible gun magazine in a positive light you wouldn't immediately look for the date of April 1 photoshopped onto the corner

4. a pistol that is capable of at least getting a hit SOMEWHERE ON THE PAPER AT NINE FUCKING FEET (some of them cannot. how a pistol can be so terrible that you can shoot repeatedly at a target 9 feet away and miss so terribly and have no idea where your bullets went is a special kind of suck)

5. a pistol that is at least engineered better than the $20 airsoft guns you can get at academy sports or WalMart

etc etc

RazorWind

Quote:
4. a pistol that is capable of at least getting a hit SOMEWHERE ON THE PAPER AT NINE FUCKING FEET (some of them cannot. how a pistol can be so terrible that you can shoot repeatedly at a target 9 feet away and miss so terribly and have no idea where your bullets went is a special kind of suck)

That can't be safe.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's raging erection View Post
+P is a half step toward magnum. All it really means is there's a larger powder charge behind the round. 9mm +P != .45 ACP. It just gives a little more muzzle velocity so it punches a little harder than standard 9mm. Also, what exactly are you expecting from the gun you intend to purchase? Is it strictly just a have fun down at the range gun? Do you want it for home defense?

If you're just looking for a fun at the range first time gun, you might not want to be so quick to write off a .22 LR pistol. They're fairly cheap (and so is the ammo), so you're not out a whole lot if you decide you don't like shooting. They're easier to work on the fundamentals of shooting with (If you have trouble with the fundamentals on a .22, you won't be very accurate with a .45 in all it's heavy recoil glory, either), as well as learning how cleaning and such works (less expensive stuff there, too).

Then there's the revolver versus semi-automatic question. Revolvers are very easy to maintain, and are less likely to jam. If you have a dud round, which you will if you shoot long enough, you just wait a bit, and let that dud round stay in the cylinder as it cycles to the next chamber. Automatics are a bit more difficult, both in operation and maintenance. You may have jams every now and then (e.g. spent round gets caught in the slide, a double feed, etc.), and dud rounds are a little more tricky to deal with.

Now, if you're looking for a home defense gun on top of fun time at the range, and it's your first gun, I would recommend the revolver. Just because of the simple reliability. Most gunfights, if you get in one, will occur in the space of a closet, so your 17 round magazine won't matter much. You'll never fire them all before it's over. Unless you're a cop. For some reason, they can fire two magazines at someone and barely manage to hit the ground. Personally, if you do spring for the revolver, I like the .357 Magnum. You can shoot .38 Special ammo through it at the range (so you don't tear your wrist apart, and it's easier on the wallet last time I checked, too.), and every now and then shoot .357 Mag through it to remind you of the recoil, and stay up on shooting your home defense loads (they have specific ammo for that. It is expensive, but that's because it's higher quality ammo, stores longer, and I hope you rarely have to use it, just like everyone else).

lol @ the cops thing, so true. I remember they killed a bum in my city a few years back - shot 35 rounds total between three officers and even shot their own dog. The bum was armed with a stick.

Anyway it's both - range use for fun and I get to keep it in my night stand.

I've read that revolvers are a better choice for home defense, and you summedit all up pretty well. It's all that my dad has, that and shotguns, which are also great for that purpose. I just want something different. I'm not totally opposed to a revolver but would rather have a semi.

I also don't feel that I need a huge clip. Just like you won't fire one round and stop (which is why i don't think I'll need a 45 for home defense, I can squeeze it a few times if I have to), you probably won't empty the entire clip either. The Hipoint 9mm standard clip holds 8 iirc, the extended holds 10 or 12 or some shit. I'm fine with that. Six is okay too but like I said I want a semi for the experience. I can always pick up a revolver later if I get a couple of those dud rounds or experience jams and feel that it's not reliable enough for emergency use.

As for a .22 it's something I've thought about for a long time. It doesn't rule out self defense - id rather have that than nothing. There's a couple pistols that fire 22 mag, but I think I'll save the .22 for my 2nd purchase if I find myself shooting a lot.