General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

edplayer
no

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

aoeoae

science has always been great, lib arts has always been mostly bs. if it took you this long to notice you're probably not cut out for science (your heart isn't in it and you think it is, or you lack critical thinking ability). you're just bored and thinking the grass is greener, get over it.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
aeoeoa's a rocket scientist

His ability to calculate the flight path of an object is necessary to an extent. So is being a paramedic. So is writing stories that people might actually like to read. Same goes for being able to cut to the core of someone's mental issues.

History, Philosophy, English, Journalism, Mass Media - you learn principles or stories and then you get tested on them. There are no numbers involved. Should we never teach any of these things again?

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeoae View Post
science has always been great, lib arts has always been mostly bs. if it took you this long to notice you're probably not cut out for science (your heart isn't in it and you think it is, or you lack critical thinking ability). you're just bored and thinking the grass is greener, get over it.

I always thought i wasn't cut out for science. Too much busy work in middle and high school turned me off. Then taking a basic physics class in college, with a lecture-test format and minimal homework made me realize that I grasp the ideas instantly and then end up explaining that shit back to my group or the guy/girl next to me. In some cases I was able to explain it better than the teacher with different examples. I show up, get how something works and then ace the test. Maybe it's a gift that runs in the family. My dad was a physics professor in Russia. I am scared though, don't get me wrong. What if I lose interest? I do get bored easily.

I already changed my major once - used to be Business. Then the head of our comm department talked me into majoring in it after I took some basic comm class. I only had two business specific classes so it wasn't too much of a waste.

Why? Well i wanted an "easy" major. I kept hearing about how it doesn't matter what you major in, and it's probably true. I know personally that not every BS works in their field, and of course not everyone who does likes it.

Ps. now I'm thinking that "easy" in this case means slightly annoying and not actually that easy. There's volumes of fucking theory and 20+ page essays that we have to read and dissect then regurgitate in essay format on a midterm, and constantly hand in 6, 12 or even 18 page papers with a minimum of 5 academic and 10 popular sources for example. Then she doesn't like your research question, says it's too narrow, but criticizes the focus of your paper as too broad.

Sometimes I'd rather type some stuff on my ti89 and make a crude drawing. Then leave before anyone else with a smug look, knowing that the teacher can't grade your test subjectively regardless of how much they hate you.

Last edited by lollersk8s; 11-14-2013 at 12:35 PM..

auntie
pwned

hmm. that post looks too long and boring to read.

hope this helps.
[QUOTE=oleo]I'm almost 30 and I almost got fat again.[/QUOTE]
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

2[H]4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
His ability to calculate the flight path of an object is necessary to an extent. So is being a paramedic. So is writing stories that people might actually like to read. Same goes for being able to cut to the core of someone's mental issues.

History, Philosophy, English, Journalism, Mass Media - you learn principles or stories and then you get tested on them. There are no numbers involved. Should we never teach any of these things again?

All of those subjects are extremely important imo to gain a broad based education which what the US higher education offers. It's important to be well rounded and know something about everything. Being knowledgeable about different subjects opens and allows you to explore a lot more avenues. However, unless you plan on becoming an historian, a journalist or some kind of english teacher/writer as a career it's a waste of time to pursue any those majors. Those subjects are usually taken as optional and required electives at most colleges in the US so that people who graduate have a broader skillset. Each of those subjects teach a very important skillset but overall they aren't rigorous or particular enough to show employers that you'll be successful if they hire you.

Philosophy and english are decent majors as feeders into law programs however.

In europe it's totally different, if you have a degree in any subject you become employable.

2[H]4U

Quote:
I always thought i wasn't cut out for science. Too much busy work in middle and high school turned me off. Then taking a basic physics class in college, with a lecture-test format and minimal homework made me realize that I grasp the ideas instantly and then end up explaining that shit back to my group or the guy/girl next to me. In some cases I was able to explain it better than the teacher with different examples. I show up, get how something works and then ace the test. Maybe it's a gift that runs in the family. My dad was a physics professor in Russia. I am scared though, don't get me wrong. What if I lose interest? I do get bored easily.

I already changed my major once - used to be Business. Then the head of our comm department talked me into majoring in it after I took some basic comm class. I only had two business specific classes so it wasn't too much of a waste.

Why? Well i wanted an "easy" major. I kept hearing about how it doesn't matter what you major in, and it's probably true. I know personally that not every BS works in their field, and of course not everyone who does likes it.

Ps. now I'm thinking that "easy" in this case means slightly annoying and not actually that easy. There's volumes of fucking theory and 20+ page essays that we have to read and dissect then regurgitate in essay format on a midterm, and constantly hand in 6, 12 or even 18 page papers with a minimum of 5 academic and 10 popular sources for example. Then she doesn't like your research question, says it's too narrow, but criticizes the focus of your paper as too broad.

Sometimes I'd rather type some stuff on my ti89 and make a crude drawing. Then leave before anyone else with a smug look, knowing that the teacher can't grade your test subjectively regardless of how much they hate you.

Quote:
I kept hearing about how it doesn't matter what you major in, and it's probably true.
This is the most stupid thing I've ever read. It's almost as stupid as when people say your GPA doesn't matter. If it didn't matter then why the fuck even bother trying to get good grades?

Also business admin and comm are two most worthless majors that colleges have. They literally have those majors so that the football team can major in them, get C+'s and still be able to play for the school.

kjikji

Quote:

you get bored easily. physics is still novel to you. you won't always have minimal homework. it'd be worth your time to at least take a few math/physics courses before you make any decisions.

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
This is the most stupid thing I've ever read. It's almost as stupid as when people say your GPA doesn't matter. If it didn't matter then why the fuck even bother trying to get good grades?

Also business admin and comm are two most worthless majors that colleges have. They literally have those majors so that the football team can major in them, get C+'s and still be able to play for the school.

THIIIIIIIIS

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

hey guiz,.

serios question. if a plain is on a treadmill and the treadmill reaches fast enough speeds will the plane take off?>

I was a young boy that had big plans
Now I'm just another shitty old man

2[H]4U

Irregardless your rong.

edplayer
no

Hey guyz

I was thinking of becoming a physics major. Do you think I'll have to do a lot of homework?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
All of those subjects are extremely important imo to gain a broad based education which what the US higher education offers. It's important to be well rounded and know something about everything. Being knowledgeable about different subjects opens and allows you to explore a lot more avenues. However, unless you plan on becoming an historian, a journalist or some kind of english teacher/writer as a career it's a waste of time to pursue any those majors. Those subjects are usually taken as optional and required electives at most colleges in the US so that people who graduate have a broader skillset. Each of those subjects teach a very important skillset but overall they aren't rigorous or particular enough to show employers that you'll be successful if they hire you.

Philosophy and english are decent majors as feeders into law programs however.

In europe it's totally different, if you have a degree in any subject you become employable.

Why is it different in Europe? One major isn't "easier" than another, they all require you to show up somewhere every day. It shows you know how to learn. Employers like this.

Quote:

We do have tons of hot chicks in all my classes. It's a shame I'm taken, really

So why does GPA matter? You present this statement as some sort of argument: "If it didn't matter then why the fuck even bother trying to get good grades?"

It's only a question though, one that you didn't bother to answer Similarly your BS doesn't make much difference in a lot of cases. If you're looking at a management position, physics = useless.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Why is it different in Europe? One major isn't "easier" than another, they all require you to show up somewhere every day. It shows you know how to learn. Employers like this.

where are you fuckers finding schools that give you degrees for showing up?

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Also by the responses of certain BS-holders in here, congrats, you live up to the angsty nerd stereotype.

MY MAJOR IS THE BEST IT HAS NUMBERS. Nobody can be this smart, nobody!

Then you fuckers can't ever land a date and eventually grow to loathe your basement beaker closets you spend all your days in. All you have left is trying to convince others that your STEM degree makes you superior