General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Killer_B

costco/big box---decent places to work?

I'd alluded to it in a previous post, that was part of the recent 10000+ post deletion...

Had 2 jobs for the past couple years, it's down to one that's only part time.

Not entirely certain I can get design work again anytime soon, with the present that is part of the job hunting process (over-aggressive keyword filtering with online applications, phantom positions created to make hr departments appear busier than they truly are, companies now accustomed to waiting years to find that special unique rainbow unicorn candidate, etc) is getting me to thinking about looking outside of my field...And with something that might not necessarily be for the short term either.

Costco and the like seem like places where the bonuses can add up for those that stick with it, I'm getting old enough I figure I can't be that picky anymore...But I want to stay busy, and not necessarily stick to hunting and shit posting on boards to help break the monotony every day of the week.

Sure, certain there's at least a 85% chance of a facetious answer, asked here...Okay.

tl;dr :

-Job hunting again, still working pt
-Looking at big box stores for positions - Good place to start looking? Worth it? (Every job sucks to some degree...If it's boring, okay; there's some liberation not feeling as though I need to bring my job home with me after I'm off the clock.)
-Alternatives, etc?

Now back to shitposting.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

My friend worked at Costco for at least 10 years and loved it. He turned down multiple promotion offers because he's lazy, but they will take good care of you and they promote from within.

The hardware warehouse stores seem like shit places to work, but I'd recommend Costco just based on what I know about it from my friend.

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

killer, you do web design?

Killer_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
killer, you do web design?

I have worked with it more closely the past few years; I came from a largely print-oriented skillset, which is now going bye-bye for the most part.

Done it through hand coding/Dreamweaver/etc, as well as through a CMS or two as well. Still getting steady with larger use of js/jquery, but I understand its importance.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Killer_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
My friend worked at Costco for at least 10 years and loved it. He turned down multiple promotion offers because he's lazy, but they will take good care of you and they promote from within.

The hardware warehouse stores seem like shit places to work, but I'd recommend Costco just based on what I know about it from my friend.

They seem to pay better overall as well.

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_B View Post
They seem to pay better overall as well.

The company itself has a great Board of Directors, too. It's the kind of place where you can start as a cashier and actually work your way up to a corporate job.

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

Killer_B

Quote:
The company itself has a great Board of Directors, too. It's the kind of place where you can start as a cashier and actually work your way up to a corporate job.

What was your friend's experience when interviewing there, even though it was over a decade ago?

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
What was your friend's experience when interviewing there, even though it was over a decade ago?

I'm not sure. As far as I know, he went through that standard computer application and that scenario based quiz they give you, then he got called in for an interview and got his job.

Killer_B

Quote:
I'm not sure. As far as I know, he went through that standard computer application and that scenario based quiz they give you, then he got called in for an interview and got his job.

What was the initial position he applied for, and what did he eventually move to? (or is it the same position lol)

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
What was the initial position he applied for, and what did he eventually move to? (or is it the same position lol)

I think he started out in one of the entry positions like getting carts in the lot and bagging for cashiers, stuff like that. He eventually maxed out his position for "front end of the store", whatever that means. He was offered a management type position but he really did turn it down because he's lazy. He was happy with the amount of money he was making for the work it required. I can't really answer detailed questions about it, I don't see him anymore (he moved) and he initially got the job about 10 years ago.

Killer_B

Quote:
I think he started out in one of the entry positions like getting carts in the lot and bagging for cashiers, stuff like that. He eventually maxed out his position for "front end of the store", whatever that means. He was offered a management type position but he really did turn it down because he's lazy. He was happy with the amount of money he was making for the work it required. I can't really answer detailed questions about it, I don't see him anymore (he moved) and he initially got the job about 10 years ago.

Okay, that more, or less, answers my question...Seems most start at the front end positions these days, which would be fine as far as I'm concerned.

Probably the more difficult thing is to get something that they're actually looking for people full-time, which appears to be less and less common these days, for jobs in general.

Seems it's still better money than working for most grocery store chains and the like; They appear to be looking for people that want to stay long term.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

im gonna hit them up for a seasonal job

Killer_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
im gonna hit them up for a seasonal job

That seems to be the better point to apply.

Plus if you like it, one tip I saw on Glassdoor mentioned to apply for one of the 'any' positions afterwards, when the store cuts their hours/hiring after the busy season.

g|aSsJaw

I know when I was 21 or so I applied to Costco a couple times during the year and never got called in. I had just come out of a 5 year retail job, so my friend that was working there told me I was probably messing up my answers on that scenario quiz they make you take. It's one of those quizzes that's like:

You are stocking shelves and see another employee nearby stocking shelves incorrectly. Do you:

A) Continue stocking your shelves without saying anything
B) Stop what you are doing and correct your co-workers mistake
C) Tell a manager what your co-worker is doing
D) Let your co-worker finish, then fix the mistake yourself

If I remember right, it's like 40 or 50 of those questions.

Tupat Liquor

what is the correct response