General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Callout: dykeawesome wants to buy an automatic Saturn Sky, or Miata.

I've gone through all of this w/ him at least half a dozen times... Like talking to a brick wall.

Pls list additional reasons why he should buy manual and not a buttass torque-converter automatic 2 seater convertible, thx.

Fatto:
its about being part of the car
connected
involved
you decide how much throttle to apply
you decide when to shift
suh learned it
so can you

mikelimpwrist:
u can do that with auto

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

typhoon, take care of this for me.

Typhoon43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
typhoon, take care of this for me.

Not this shit again. It all comes down to what you like. Me? I like drag racing. Automatics are absolutely, positively faster in that respect. With the advent of SMG transmissions and other twin-disc setups, you can shift stupidly faster than a manual. I use my paddles for roll-racing and they work like a damn champ.

"BUT FOR AUTOCROSS AND REAL MAN RACING MANUAL IS WHERE IT'S AT!"

Well, ya see, manuals don't dominate that anymore either, because gear-to-gear change speed effects lap times. I mean, does the new Audi R8 come in manual? Nope. Acura NSX? Nope. BMW M5? Nope. M6 at least? Nope. Any 2016 model Ferrari? Nope. Any 2016 model Lambo? Nope. WHAT ABOUT A PORSCHE 911GT3?! THAT'S A RACECAR RIGHT? IT HAS TO HAVE MANUAL!!!. .. Nope.

The new generations of Automatics give you lightning-quick shifts with either paddles or just a twist of the knob. You want to "choose what gear you're in when you want to"? Well all of the new trannies let you do that, and they do it 300 times faster than your row-the-boat method, and include rev matching.

Manuals are dead to me. And you also get the added bonus of when you're not out attacking Laguna Seca or drifting hard on Sunset boulevard, you can drive around without having to touch anything. You have an extra hand for phone calls, tuning the radio, taking a sip of coffee, or even finger-banging that hottie in the passenger seat. It's win-win-win-win-win to me.

Colonel Sanders

On the other hand, it's not as fun.

Boom, roasted.

Seriously though, I couldn't give two shits if it's faster or allows me twiddle my thingamajig. I'd rather row my own gears because I like it. And yes I have driven DCG cars so don't give me the "don't knock it till you try it" line.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post

Not this shit again. It all comes down to what you like. Me? I like drag racing. Automatics are absolutely, positively faster in that respect. With the advent of SMG transmissions and other twin-disc setups, you can shift stupidly faster than a manual. I use my paddles for roll-racing and they work like a damn champ.

"BUT FOR AUTOCROSS AND REAL MAN RACING MANUAL IS WHERE IT'S AT!"

Well, ya see, manuals don't dominate that anymore either, because gear-to-gear change speed effects lap times. I mean, does the new Audi R8 come in manual? Nope. Acura NSX? Nope. BMW M5? Nope. M6 at least? Nope. Any 2016 model Ferrari? Nope. Any 2016 model Lambo? Nope. WHAT ABOUT A PORSCHE 911GT3?! THAT'S A RACECAR RIGHT? IT HAS TO HAVE MANUAL!!!. .. Nope.

The new generations of Automatics give you lightning-quick shifts with either paddles or just a twist of the knob. You want to "choose what gear you're in when you want to"? Well all of the new trannies let you do that, and they do it 300 times faster than your row-the-boat method, and include rev matching.

Manuals are dead to me. And you also get the added bonus of when you're not out attacking Laguna Seca or drifting hard on Sunset boulevard, you can drive around without having to touch anything. You have an extra hand for phone calls, tuning the radio, taking a sip of coffee, or even finger-banging that hottie in the passenger seat. It's win-win-win-win-win to me.

He's not getting a modern "fast" automatic, he's getting a dogshit 1950's-tech automatic on a tired out wheezy 90's/early 00's jalopy with sub 100HP

In order to have fun in a car like that, you HAVE to go manual. '

But then we get to a point in the argument where he's like "what is sporty/fun driving anyway, doing burnouts/racing?" This isn't the typical auto vs manual debate, this is a guy who doesn't even understand why or how a car can be fun. If he buys an automatic Miata, or an automatic sky, he never will.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

LOL manual snobs

Typhoon43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
He's not getting a modern "fast" automatic, he's getting a dogshit 1950's-tech automatic on a tired out wheezy 90's/early 00's jalopy with sub 100HP

In order to have fun in a car like that, you HAVE to go manual. '

But then we get to a point in the argument where he's like "what is sporty/fun driving anyway, doing burnouts/racing?" This isn't the typical auto vs manual debate, this is a guy who doesn't even understand why or how a car can be fun. If he buys an automatic Miata, or an automatic sky, he never will.

Well I have to concede that. IF I was forced to buy a Miata or something similar, I'd want a manual because it's the only thing that could possibly make driving one exciting.

Triple B

get a skateboard Mike

the auto era is over

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Well I have to concede that. IF I was forced to buy a Miata or something similar, I'd want a manual because it's the only thing that could possibly make driving one exciting.

yes

it goes even deeper than that, though

he has no concept of having fun or experiencing excitement in a car

rip

Triple B

mike has fun by considering which credit card to make a purchase on to maximize the benefits

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
mike has fun by considering which credit card to make a purchase on to maximize the benefits

also stomping on snails and microwaving feeder mice

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 09-21-2016 at 10:43 PM..

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

i'm more concerned with how ugly that car is

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

yeah, the solstice looks a million times better

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

where is bd? he needs to weigh in

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

mike has no soul

I was a young boy that had big plans
Now I'm just another shitty old man