General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

5ive

^Yes. Spend on infrastructure. The nation's roadways and bridges are in dire need of repair, and improving them would not only generate jobs but could make transportation more efficient. The best time to reduce the debt is when the economy is not in the shitter. Also improve social spending...more food stamps, UHC, better schools, etc etc. Some of these aren't immediately necessary but will have longterm economic impacts (UHC, schools), others - mostly direct transfers to individuals - can have pretty quick stimulative turnaround because they strengthen demand.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
The myth that the poor don't work is just that, a myth.

Current economic crisis notwithstanding, most people do work for a living; but when the wealthy systematically dismantle a system that more evenly spreads the wealth in order to enrich themselves and their buddies, it turns out that the people left behind (the poor and middle class) cannot provide for themselves no matter how hard they work. Most people in the United States work harder than anyone else in the industrialized world -- there's no guaranteed maternity leave, no guaranteed vacation time, no guaranteed healthcare, etc-- yet they have absolutely nothing to show for it, except for skyrocketing wealth overwhelmingly distributed upwards. Moreover, when rich people fuck up the economy--and they always do--it's the poor and middle class who suffer. What, then, do you suggest we do to support people who work multiple jobs for a laughable minimum wage, don't work full time because corporations don't want to give them benefits, can't afford quality health care (this applies to the middle class as well), can't afford to take a vacation, can't afford to live in a nice neighborhood with good schools, can't afford to get a post-secondary education without racking up massive debt, and so on? Either we keep the status quo, or we redistribute some wealth back to the people who both deserve it and need it. We shouldn't even consider redistribution as "taking" money from the wealthy, because it wasn't the wealthy who generated it in the first place.

We are the wealthiest nation on earth, and we can't provide for our own people because some greedy titans of industry have convinced millions of others that "bootstraps!" is a legitimate pathway to success, even when everything points to the contrary.

Preach it, comrade!

Forever Domon

Quote:
^Yes. Spend on infrastructure. The nation's roadways and bridges are in dire need of repair, and improving them would not only generate jobs but could make transportation more efficient. The best time to reduce the debt is when the economy is not in the shitter. Also improve social spending...more food stamps, UHC, better schools, etc etc. Some of these aren't immediately necessary but will have longterm economic impacts (UHC, schools), others - mostly direct transfers to individuals - can have pretty quick stimulative turnaround because they strengthen demand.
we have the best road infrastructure in the world.....

you need to pull your head out of your ass lately.

5ive

Redistribute your wealth or we'll redistribute your blood.

5ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post

Well, I wasn't sure about roads but I decided to include them because why not? Bridges, on the other hand....

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post

No we don't. Our highways were mainly built back in the 50s and have just been barely maintained since then. And we have always preferred building cheaper roads that will need to be fixed in the near term versus more initially expensive roads that will last longer. And the reason we have kept repairing the roads is because that's all we have in most places. We never put anything else in. Our public transportation is largely buses.

Killer_B

Quote:

Redistribute your wealth or we'll redistribute your blood.

AH! The Newtsies are reporting for work.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Jack's raging erection

So... people are buying more stock as central banks feverishly work out a plan to devalue the currency to solve a debt crisis? I guess the idea is to buy it while it's cheap, before the new boy speculators and their funny money buy stocks, which would make you millions in monopoly money. I still think the next few rounds of QE are going to fuck it up and trigger a sell off.

punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Not everyone wants a trophy, they just want to earn a fucking living wage and not be stuck trying to pay off their 100k in college debt with a part time minimum wage job at walmart where they can't even get full time benefits because they are perpetually kept at 39 hours, as is the new norm.

If you have a college degree, and are stuck at near minimum wage at Wally-Mart, then you are a stupid fuck, and deserve to suck cock on a street corner for something warm in your stomach.

One of the nicer things about getting older is that it gives you enough life experience to gain a perspective on events. It is true, many of today's 20 somethings, and younger, are annoying little entitled twats. No other way to put it. Every kid in the job market thinks he deserves top pay for mediocre work. It is a goddamn major achievement to them if they get to work on time.

Sorry the economy sucks. Happened before, it will happen again. Grand parents lived through the great depression. parents went through the "stagflation" of the 1970s/early '80s, and today we have the latest economic shitstorm. Sorry if you are poor, sorry if you are unprepared, but shit happens. As overextended as our government is, there is only so much it can do, and every day as debt piles up, what the government can do is less and less.

Almost everything spent now to keep voters happy is going to come back and bite EVERYONE in the ass. That big ol' government titty isn't going to be around next time. Economies are cyclical, economies go through upheavals. The feds ability to deal with major economic problems has effectively ended during the Obama administration (yes, Republicans are equally a culpable as Democrats in the stupid levels of debt accumulated). You think the last few years have been bad, wait till the next time, or wait and see how bad the current economy gets. I will get a large popcorn, settle back, and watch as I truly, truly, do not give a shit anymore. I will protect what I have, and the rest of the fucknuggets can fight over what is left.

Jack's raging erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
If you have a college degree, and are stuck at near minimum wage at Wally-Mart, then you are a stupid fuck, and deserve to suck cock on a street corner for something warm in your stomach.

One of the nicer things about getting older is that it gives you enough life experience to gain a perspective on events. It is true, many of today's 20 somethings, and younger, are annoying little entitled twats. No other way to put it. Every kid in the job market thinks he deserves top pay for mediocre work. It is a goddamn major achievement to them if they get to work on time.

Sorry the economy sucks. Happened before, it will happen again. Grand parents lived through the great depression. parents went through the "stagflation" of the 1970s/early '80s, and today we have the latest economic shitstorm. Sorry if you are poor, sorry if you are unprepared, but shit happens. As overextended as our government is, there is only so much it can do, and every day as debt piles up, what the government can do is less and less.

Almost everything spent now to keep voters happy is going to come back and bite EVERYONE in the ass. That big ol' government titty isn't going to be around next time. Economies are cyclical, economies go through upheavals. The feds ability to deal with major economic problems has effectively ended during the Obama administration (yes, Republicans are equally a culpable as Democrats in the stupid levels of debt accumulated). You think the last few years have been bad, wait till the next time, or wait and see how bad the current economy gets. I will get a large popcorn, settle back, and watch as I truly, truly, do not give a shit anymore. I will protect what I have, and the rest of the fucknuggets can fight over what is left.

Please tell me how I'm an entitled prick, and tell me how I'm a stupid fuck for not being able to work at wal-mart because I'm overqualified [That's the manager telling me this, fucktard], and how I'm retarded since everyone who even thought of hiring someone with my academic qualifications also require at least 5 years experience in addition to the degree as a qualification, with no lower position available to get said experience.

Or, I'll put it this way. I'm tired. If shit really does get that bad, I'll probably just kill you for your food and all that you have in your house. Then I'll burn it down to keep warm and move along. You and all who think like you are fucking dickheads that completely miss the point. Nobody's interested in hiring anyone right now, as far as I can tell. Those kids are demanding top dollar for mediocre work because even if you did stellar work, you're probably going to get fucked out of pay raises so your boss can go to Cabo more often from the work that YOU did. So, what motivation does anyone really have to do quality work? You're probably going to get laid off anyway.

Keep drinking that Fox News kool-aid, you entitlement issue bitch.

punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's raging erection View Post

Whiney bitching..........................................

You entitled fuckwit.

By hook or crook you can get a job. Grand dad- his father lost the farm during the dustbowl in the mid 30s, became a pool hustler in TX and LA to help the family survive. My dad went from restaurant manager to oil refinery boilermaker, not an easy switch. Hell, I went from auto tech to IT in 2000. That is what I don't get. A goddamned doctor can get a job as a greeter at Wally Mart or asking "Would you like fries with that" at Micky D's. You seem to use excuses for not working because you think a job doesn't pay enough or is beneith you. If I was desperate, I could take my bachelors (or not) and get a job at any number of 7-11s or Whataburgers.

When you are hungry, work is work. I just don't think you are that hungry...................yet.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

but but if you spend money on an education the world owes you 50 g starting salary.

Didn't you get the memo?

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

take out your college degree from your resume

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
You entitled fuckwit.

By hook or crook you can get a job. Grand dad- his father lost the farm during the dustbowl in the mid 30s, became a pool hustler in TX and LA to help the family survive. My dad went from restaurant manager to oil refinery boilermaker, not an easy switch. Hell, I went from auto tech to IT in 2000. That is what I don't get. A goddamned doctor can get a job as a greeter at Wally Mart or asking "Would you like fries with that" at Micky D's. You seem to use excuses for not working because you think a job doesn't pay enough or is beneith you. If I was desperate, I could take my bachelors (or not) and get a job at any number of 7-11s or Whataburgers.

When you are hungry, work is work. I just don't think you are that hungry...................yet.
yeah.... people back then werent whiney bitches, actually were embarrassed to take charity, and would put in significant effort to make ends meet, no matter the solution.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

there weren't any internets back then for them to whine on