General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
Technically, being a vegetarian is cheaper than being an omnivore because of inefficient energy transfers. For example, it takes about 10 pounds of corn to produce one pound of beef, and yet you don't get near enough nutrition from beef than you do from the corn.

I highly disagree with this statement.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#181  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I highly disagree with this statement.

Please elaborate. I hear this argument frequently and frankly I'm tired of it.
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#182  

Runding
 
Runding's Avatar
 
Maybe it's because beef has nutrition corn doesn't, and vice versa? You need both types of nutrition to survive, so it's a moot point.
__________________
aa1ce3c1c9744c586fa4d28e62ff485b
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM Runding is offline  
Reply With Quote
#183  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Please elaborate. I hear this argument frequently and frankly I'm tired of it.

Basically what Rundig said. You'd be more apt to be able to survive on beef alone as opposed to corn alone. But both would have you severely nutrionally deficient
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#184  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
Maybe it's because beef has nutrition corn doesn't, and vice versa? You need both types of nutrition to survive, so it's a moot point.

The counter to this is that you can supposedly get the same nutrition from other sources... tofu, lentils, legumes, etc...
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#185  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
Technically, being a vegetarian is cheaper than being an omnivore because of inefficient energy transfers. For example, it takes about 10 pounds of corn to produce one pound of beef, and yet you don't get near enough nutrition from beef than you do from the corn.

The most energy efficient lifestyle would be one with sparse consumption of free-range meat. Cows can graze places that you can't efficiently raise crops, so the mix maximizes the amount of food we can raise.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#186  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
The counter to this is that you can supposedly get the same nutrition from other sources... tofu, lentils, legumes, etc...

Meat is the best source for iron
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#187  

Runding
 
Runding's Avatar
 
I'm not going to argue about what foods are best for you since I'm no expert. However, I'm going to go extremely basic here and say that if you do eat meat, you don't have to worry about getting all of the random vitamins and minerals needed. On the other end of the spectrum, a constant conversation I hear between people going to vegetarianism/veganism is about getting enough of this vitamin or that vitamin, etc.

It's too much of a headache, and it always seems a little sketchy to me. Oh, and I love me some veal.
__________________
aa1ce3c1c9744c586fa4d28e62ff485b
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM Runding is offline  
Reply With Quote
#188  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
I'm not going to argue about what foods are best for you since I'm no expert. However, I'm going to go extremely basic here and say that if you do eat meat, you don't have to worry about getting all of the random vitamins and minerals needed. On the other end of the spectrum, a constant conversation I hear between people going to vegetarianism/veganism is about getting enough of this vitamin or that vitamin, etc.

It's too much of a headache, and it always seems a little sketchy to me. Oh, and I love me some veal.


You aren't very smart, are you? When did meat become a multivitamin?


You hear these conversations because these people are objectively looking at their diets. So, naturally, they're talking about how to eat healthier. The standard American diet is severely lacking in fruits and vegetables. You hear it all the time. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. It's okay though... since you eat meat you get everything the body needs
__________________
Use Linux and BSD

Last edited by :ninja:; 02-26-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#189  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
You aren't very smart, are you? When did meat become a multivitamin?


You hear these conversations because these people are objectively looking at their diets. So, naturally, they're talking about how to eat healthier. The standard American diet is severely lacking in fruits and vegetables. You hear it all the time. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. It's okay though... since you eat meat you get everything the body needs

eating the organ meats along with the muscle meats gives you most of the nutrients you need. Even vitamin C

But you knew that already since you are so not a re amirite?
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#190  

demosh
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
since you eat meat you get everything the body needs

The traditional Inuit diet has very little that isn't meat, and they are a healthy peoples.
__________________
[M] Finnish Crew
ME > You
Old 02-27-2010, 01:58 PM demosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
#191  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post
The traditional Inuit diet has very little that isn't meat, and they are a healthy peoples.

Japs are very healthy too (infact probably the healthiest on the planet), but they don't really eat meat that much, other than fish of course. While I'm not going to discuss the ethos of eating ANY meat be it fish or giraffe, inuit diet suggests a big amount of fish, and it's hardly any conclusive "evidence" that eating beef 24/7/365 is healthy(*), like some people here seem to suggest.


(*)not really suggesting you in particular are saying this.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#192  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
The most energy efficient lifestyle would be one with sparse consumption of free-range meat. Cows can graze places that you can't efficiently raise crops, so the mix maximizes the amount of food we can raise.

You really need to get the fuck out of here with this sense making stuff.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 02-27-2010, 03:27 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#193  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post
The traditional Inuit diet has very little that isn't meat, and they are a healthy peoples.

They also have abnormally large livers for processing all the protien and fat. Seal meat is high in unsaturated fats. The typical western high-meat diet will most definitely be high in saturated fats and cholesterol.
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#194  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Japs are very healthy too (infact probably the healthiest on the planet), but they don't really eat meat that much, other than fish of course. While I'm not going to discuss the ethos of eating ANY meat be it fish or giraffe, inuit diet suggests a big amount of fish, and it's hardly any conclusive "evidence" that eating beef 24/7/365 is healthy(*), like some people here seem to suggest.


(*)not really suggesting you in particular are saying this.

beef isn't the only meat dumbho
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 02-27-2010, 04:15 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#195  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.