General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
Technically, being a vegetarian is cheaper than being an omnivore because of inefficient energy transfers. For example, it takes about 10 pounds of corn to produce one pound of beef, and yet you don't get near enough nutrition from beef than you do from the corn.

I highly disagree with this statement.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I highly disagree with this statement.

Please elaborate. I hear this argument frequently and frankly I'm tired of it.

Runding

Maybe it's because beef has nutrition corn doesn't, and vice versa? You need both types of nutrition to survive, so it's a moot point.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Please elaborate. I hear this argument frequently and frankly I'm tired of it.

Basically what Rundig said. You'd be more apt to be able to survive on beef alone as opposed to corn alone. But both would have you severely nutrionally deficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
Maybe it's because beef has nutrition corn doesn't, and vice versa? You need both types of nutrition to survive, so it's a moot point.

The counter to this is that you can supposedly get the same nutrition from other sources... tofu, lentils, legumes, etc...

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
Technically, being a vegetarian is cheaper than being an omnivore because of inefficient energy transfers. For example, it takes about 10 pounds of corn to produce one pound of beef, and yet you don't get near enough nutrition from beef than you do from the corn.

The most energy efficient lifestyle would be one with sparse consumption of free-range meat. Cows can graze places that you can't efficiently raise crops, so the mix maximizes the amount of food we can raise.

Coqui

Quote:
The counter to this is that you can supposedly get the same nutrition from other sources... tofu, lentils, legumes, etc...

Meat is the best source for iron

Runding

I'm not going to argue about what foods are best for you since I'm no expert. However, I'm going to go extremely basic here and say that if you do eat meat, you don't have to worry about getting all of the random vitamins and minerals needed. On the other end of the spectrum, a constant conversation I hear between people going to vegetarianism/veganism is about getting enough of this vitamin or that vitamin, etc.

It's too much of a headache, and it always seems a little sketchy to me. Oh, and I love me some veal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
I'm not going to argue about what foods are best for you since I'm no expert. However, I'm going to go extremely basic here and say that if you do eat meat, you don't have to worry about getting all of the random vitamins and minerals needed. On the other end of the spectrum, a constant conversation I hear between people going to vegetarianism/veganism is about getting enough of this vitamin or that vitamin, etc.

It's too much of a headache, and it always seems a little sketchy to me. Oh, and I love me some veal.

You aren't very smart, are you? When did meat become a multivitamin?

You hear these conversations because these people are objectively looking at their diets. So, naturally, they're talking about how to eat healthier. The standard American diet is severely lacking in fruits and vegetables. You hear it all the time. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. It's okay though... since you eat meat you get everything the body needs

Last edited by :ninja:; 02-26-2010 at 04:37 PM..

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
You aren't very smart, are you? When did meat become a multivitamin?

You hear these conversations because these people are objectively looking at their diets. So, naturally, they're talking about how to eat healthier. The standard American diet is severely lacking in fruits and vegetables. You hear it all the time. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. It's okay though... since you eat meat you get everything the body needs

eating the organ meats along with the muscle meats gives you most of the nutrients you need. Even vitamin C

But you knew that already since you are so not a re amirite?

demosh

Quote:
since you eat meat you get everything the body needs

The traditional Inuit diet has very little that isn't meat, and they are a healthy peoples.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post
The traditional Inuit diet has very little that isn't meat, and they are a healthy peoples.

Japs are very healthy too (infact probably the healthiest on the planet), but they don't really eat meat that much, other than fish of course. While I'm not going to discuss the ethos of eating ANY meat be it fish or giraffe, inuit diet suggests a big amount of fish, and it's hardly any conclusive "evidence" that eating beef 24/7/365 is healthy(*), like some people here seem to suggest.

(*)not really suggesting you in particular are saying this.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
The most energy efficient lifestyle would be one with sparse consumption of free-range meat. Cows can graze places that you can't efficiently raise crops, so the mix maximizes the amount of food we can raise.

You really need to get the fuck out of here with this sense making stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post

They also have abnormally large livers for processing all the protien and fat. Seal meat is high in unsaturated fats. The typical western high-meat diet will most definitely be high in saturated fats and cholesterol.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Japs are very healthy too (infact probably the healthiest on the planet), but they don't really eat meat that much, other than fish of course. While I'm not going to discuss the ethos of eating ANY meat be it fish or giraffe, inuit diet suggests a big amount of fish, and it's hardly any conclusive "evidence" that eating beef 24/7/365 is healthy(*), like some people here seem to suggest.

(*)not really suggesting you in particular are saying this.

beef isn't the only meat dumbho