General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Bill

Cleaning an unmaintained utility knife?

I've got an older gerber folding blade knife thats basically been sitting in a garage for five or so years. I'm looking to try to clean it up and get it back in decent shape. Its got cobwebs and lint and crap all over it. I tried googling it and found some retard fanatisist HOLY SHIT COMPRESSED CAN AIR IS BAD IT HAS WATER DROPLETS IN IT ( ) etc.

ANYWAY.

Its a folding blade into a black handle. Locking mechanism on the back side.

How should I clean it? I was thinking copious denatured alcohol, paper towels, cuetips, and then some WD-40 on the mechanisms, followed by a wipedown? I'm not sure the best process. I'm not sure if WD40 is appropriate with the handle material and stuff. I'd prefer to use stuff I have, I'm not terribly interested in dropping cash if its avoidable.

Also, sharpening, same deal as a kitchen knife (manual) or am I ing myself?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Barstool

Clean it in hot water and dish soap (using a soft cloth).
Use canned air to blow out water left behind.
Lube the joints with a good quality gun oil. I just use Rem Oil since it's cheap.
Be sure to keep the blade lightly oiled (to prevent rusting) if it's going to be stored for a while.

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz

I would use compressed air to blow out any solid debris. Then if it has no plastic or wood parts, clean it real well with soap and water.

WD-40 was originally designed as a metal cleaner so use that on the joints. Again, avoid the plastic and wood areas. It obviously has the added benefit of lubricating all metal on metal contacts.

After is all shiny use a whet stone and give it it's edge back. Avoid any "kitchen sharpening devices". They usually tend to destroy your blade instead of sharpening it. If it's really dull or has heavy pits in it I would suggest having it professionally sharpened. It'll be worth the small price you'll have to pay.

Bill

From the gerber site it would appear to be a "glass filed nylon" handle or some crap like that. Does that count as plastic?

Thanks guys.

Mr. Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klypr View Post
I would use compressed air to blow out any solid debris. Then if it has no plastic or wood parts, clean it real well with soap and water.

WD-40 was originally designed as a metal cleaner so use that on the joints. Again, avoid the plastic and wood areas. It obviously has the added benefit of lubricating all metal on metal contacts.

WD-40 was originally designed as a water displacement solution to spray on Atlas rockets to keep off water for many reasons (ice formation, rust, etc).
It's actually not good to use as a long-term lubricant.
Use some gun oil (very little is all you need) and you'll be fine.

stupid dumbass
IvanY

Wash with soap and water, blow the joints out with compressed air, shoot a bit of WD-40 in there, and put a bit of mineral oil into the joints the next day. It's likely stainless steel liners with nylon scales so you're not going to do anything to it.