General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Intrinsic
 
Intrinsic's Avatar
 
Sending stuff to a marine in Iraq

For the life of me I can't find any official guidelines on what you can and can't send.
I have my buddies address.
Someone told me to send DVDs, I also want to send an ipod filled with music and of course a letter. Candy? What are some other ideas. This is one of my best friends from HS who I didn't even know went -_-

Is everything read / checked before its given to him?
Any info would be appreciated thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM Intrinsic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch
 
Gearhead's Avatar
 
__________________
“What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul.” - J.C.
Member of Micks for Mayhem Irish Crew
Motorcycle Club

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 PM Gearhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

-lotus-
Im not upset, Im just not smiling at you.
 
-lotus-'s Avatar
 
ive heard of people sending their buddies in iraq/afghanistan body armor lol. that was a while back when there were shortages. sucks.
__________________
King of the Jewish Mexicans~
dcd69fcaa20368a784466fac72d70eae [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.

refault can suck my cawk

[QUOTE=JoePits;23000067]when i see 4:20 on the clock to me its gods way of saying "rock on, Joe"[/QUOTE]
Old 05-30-2008, 04:36 PM -lotus- is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Slacker
 
Slacker's Avatar
 
Don't send alcohol or weapons/explosives and check with him before you send porn. It's very unlikely anyone is going to open it up and check but I would assume it's being at least x-rayed or something at some point.

Other then that DVDs are always good. As is beef jerky, candy, etc. Keep in mind with any food items that it's going to need to be able to survive triple digit temperatures for a few days, so no chocolate. Depending on where he's at basic toiletries might be nice or it might be a total waste. Most bases have some sort of PX for stuff like that.

The best way to go is get the flat rate boxes from the post office. I think they're free and it's $7-9 to send one anywhere in the world with as much stuff as you can jam in there.
__________________
[M]ilitary [M]ayhem
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy
Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 PM Slacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man
 
mofugger's Avatar
 
Copenhagen/Skoal is always good. If he doesn't use it, he knows someone who does (that has something he wants).

1. FHM/Maxim/PopSci/Etc
2. Girl Scout Cookies
3. Candy
4. Beef Jerky
5. Mirror (I have an electric razor, this lets me shave in my room in the morning instead of walking 100 meters to a latrine)
6. Batteries (AA and AAA are common for small flashlights and travel alarm clocks)
__________________
Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

Last edited by mofugger; 05-31-2008 at 12:51 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 PM mofugger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

Naveronski
 
Dip, baby wipes, DVD's are all good.

For gear, ask him specifically what he wants. He's getting issued what he needs, even moreso this late in the war.

Easiest, and that will make everyone happy, is just to ask what they need.
__________________
[M]ilitary [M]ayhem
Gen[M]ay Gun Club
Old 05-31-2008, 12:47 AM Naveronski is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Intrinsic
 
Intrinsic's Avatar
 
Thanks everyone, good idea esp for the flat rate boxes
I'd like some more ideas, I'm compiling a list.
I'm also debating finding some people from our hs that know him email me a "letter" to him and then printing them all out, if you were there youd like that right?

I want to get this done next week so ordering off thinkgeek and all is out of the question, anything that can be picked up at stores, anything useful at an army/navy surplus?

if i send an ipod, do they have power to charge it? will he be able to plug it in a wall or use someones laptop? does he have a room or is he sharing a room with a lot of guys-- all i know is he is a CPL in Mike Battery RADAR, Unit 72090
Old 05-31-2008, 08:37 PM Intrinsic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U
 
Heathen-Yak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Don't send alcohol or weapons/explosives and check with him before you send porn. It's very unlikely anyone is going to open it up and check but I would assume it's being at least x-rayed or something at some point.

Other then that DVDs are always good. As is beef jerky, candy, etc. Keep in mind with any food items that it's going to need to be able to survive triple digit temperatures for a few days, so no chocolate. Depending on where he's at basic toiletries might be nice or it might be a total waste. Most bases have some sort of PX for stuff like that.

The best way to go is get the flat rate boxes from the post office. I think they're free and it's $7-9 to send one anywhere in the world with as much stuff as you can jam in there.

its about 9 bucks to send them anywhere in the UNITED STATES, fortunately APO/FPO addresses count as being in the united states so they're flat rate. it's not an anywhere in the world thing though.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:09 PM Heathen-Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

Radeky
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
Thanks everyone, good idea esp for the flat rate boxes
I'd like some more ideas, I'm compiling a list.
I'm also debating finding some people from our hs that know him email me a "letter" to him and then printing them all out, if you were there youd like that right?

I want to get this done next week so ordering off thinkgeek and all is out of the question, anything that can be picked up at stores, anything useful at an army/navy surplus?

if i send an ipod, do they have power to charge it? will he be able to plug it in a wall or use someones laptop? does he have a room or is he sharing a room with a lot of guys-- all i know is he is a CPL in Mike Battery RADAR, Unit 72090

They tend to have laptops and intermittent internet access. Depends on how heavy things are though, and what they're up to.

I know my buddy always appreciates it when he gets a chance to talk to any, let alone a bunch of us.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 PM Radeky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

prometheum
 
prometheum's Avatar
 
yes he will be able to plug in his laptop, ipod, etc
they always have a shitty selection of snack foods so whatever his favorite are especially if he's forward deployed
dvd's might be a waste, the last group of guys who we sent to afghanistan just came back here and they said bootlegged dvd's can be had cheap there (granted its not iraq)
__________________
Member of the Gen[M]ay Grammar Nazi Association™
Commander of [M]ilitary [M]ayhem Club™
Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 AM prometheum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man
 
mofugger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheum View Post
yes he will be able to plug in his laptop, ipod, etc
they always have a shitty selection of snack foods so whatever his favorite are especially if he's forward deployed
dvd's might be a waste, the last group of guys who we sent to afghanistan just came back here and they said bootlegged dvd's can be had cheap there (granted its not iraq)

QFT. In Afghanistan, bootlegs are easily 3 for $5

Typical internet quality though, but 80% of the time at least worth watching
__________________
Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division
Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 AM mofugger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Azralia
 
I just sent a buddy in Afghanistan a crapton of those single-serving drink mix pouches. The Crystal Light ones are usually on sale where I am (Raspberry Ice flavor is awesome). My buddy likes them a lot, something to enjoy a bit. They are small and light...so quite a few of them can be sent.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 PM Azralia is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

vinnie
OH MY GOD!!! I LOVE SUCKING COCK!!!!!
 
I did a tour including about five billion bases. Sending DVDs, snack food or the 'single serving drink mix' pouches is a waste of time. I am still finding DVDs and left over drink pouches floating around and would be happy to never see American snack food again.

Music can be sort of hard to come by and is appreciated by everyone. Most important part is letting him know someone cares though, everywhere I saw had a decent PX type thing or foreign equivalent.
__________________
._--_|\.
/........\
\_.--._/
.......v.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 AM vinnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

JettaX7
 
i second (or third?) on the music. yeah they usually do have the PX shops but i always remember them being behind on new releases. when a friend of mine was over in germany, their PX released cds ~1-2 months later than we got them over here. that could just be that specific one, but it can't hurt to send some new music to him or just lesser known artists that he may be interested in. and it would be nice to get some of his old friends to send letters too.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:45 PM JettaX7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

9mmCensor
 
send them a ticket home.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:34 PM 9mmCensor is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.