General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

armage

Is the ER-6n too much bike for a beginner? 6'2" 230lbs.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

princess0fdiabl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by armage View Post
Is the ER-6n too much bike for a beginner? 6'2" 230lbs.

It's bordering on a bit much. I think Squeeky started out on it's clothed cousin the Ninja 650 and he liked it for what it was. Of course you're probably meaning a new bike since they've only been out for so long - get a used bike for your first bike if at all possible, always.

Squeeky
My love muffin <3 Pinkys Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0 View Post
It's bordering on a bit much. I think Squeeky started out on it's clothed cousin the Ninja 650 and he liked it for what it was. Of course you're probably meaning a new bike since they've only been out for so long - get a used bike for your first bike if at all possible, always.

I actually started on an '87 EX-500, then moved to the 650R, and now the R6. Correct on all other accounts, it was a sweet bike for what it was. If you want something with a bit more aftermarket though, go for the Suzuki SV650.

For a big guy like yourself, I'd say the 650R is a good starting point. Anything more is gonna be too much bike for a new rider. Listen to p0d though, start on something used. Resist the urge to jump to a big bike, too. I rode the wheels off that 650 for almost two years/30,000 miles before I stepped up to the R6. I learned a LOT on that Kawi.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

No bike is too much for a beginner, it is all dependent upon your right hand. I started on a liter bike and had no issues at all, it's expansive capability allowed me to increase my experience as my comfort level improved. I'm finding myself wanting to go down to a 600-class just for the weight savings. Riding a 600/750, I feel I would of had more issues as a newbie with them because of the shocking onset of power over a short band.

armage

I know getting a new bike is a terrible idea, but my credit was destroyed because I went to jail and had a bunch of bills pile up and go to collections. Ive gotten everything cleared up, and my work ethic with my dads company has gotten my dad to take notice and his willing to cosign... so I figure I can have flash and a boost to my credit via financing. I work for a metal/plastic fab shop, so repairs are going to be diy :P. I was looking at this or a sv650, but new the prices for this were actually cheaper where I live if I remember correctly, not by much... but a little. I also like the styling a little bit better. My biggest concern is the powerband and likewise the learning curve of the bike. A harley is what I want to end up on someday, but Id like to start on something lighter than a cruiser, and Ive always liked naked bikes as well. So... I guess the basic question would be, is this comparable to the SV650 or another class? Im not sure how the different motor configurations effect the bikes powerband. When you guys talk about 600+ sport bikes being more intense, I assumed you were talking about I4 bikes, or am I wrong on that? Anyways, thank you guys for your positive feedback. I love this thread :P

armage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky View Post
I actually started on an '87 EX-500, then moved to the 650R, and now the R6. Correct on all other accounts, it was a sweet bike for what it was. If you want something with a bit more aftermarket though, go for the Suzuki SV650.

For a big guy like yourself, I'd say the 650R is a good starting point. Anything more is gonna be too much bike for a new rider. Listen to p0d though, start on something used. Resist the urge to jump to a big bike, too. I rode the wheels off that 650 for almost two years/30,000 miles before I stepped up to the R6. I learned a LOT on that Kawi.

I just wanted to point out, that Id happily ride like a v-star 250 if I thought it would get my fat ass up to highway speed without blowing the motor. Id ride a 150.... hell I rode my sisters 49cc moped around town yesterday just because I dont have my license yet and I was bored as hell and I love two wheels :P.

Should I feel like a tool going into a dealer and sitting on bikes just to get a feel for the size even though I dont have my license? Im definately willing to go smaller motor size.... I just want to be able to see over my knees.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

I wouldn't feel bad, I was looking at bikes a couple weeks before my license course (I could already ride, but not according to the state of Florida). As a matter of fact, if you go into a dealer, speak with a sales rep and they refuse to let you sit on them inside the dealer, I'd walk out and take my potential business along with me.

My wife and I have gone and window shopped tons of times at the local dealers. It's good to see how you fit on the newer models and how they carry their own weight.

princess0fdiabl0

Quote:
I just wanted to point out, that Id happily ride like a v-star 250 if I thought it would get my fat ass up to highway speed without blowing the motor. Id ride a 150.... hell I rode my sisters 49cc moped around town yesterday just because I dont have my license yet and I was bored as hell and I love two wheels :P.

Should I feel like a tool going into a dealer and sitting on bikes just to get a feel for the size even though I dont have my license? Im definately willing to go smaller motor size.... I just want to be able to see over my knees.
Look for a Vulcan 500. Same engine as the ninja 500, but with cruiser style. Great beginner bike.

Otherwise you're just going to be disappointed hopping off of an er6n or sv650 onto a slow ass harley =P

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

Quote:
Look for a Vulcan 500. Same engine as the ninja 500, but with cruiser style. Great beginner bike.

Otherwise you're just going to be disappointed hopping off of an er6n or sv650 onto a slow ass harley =P

I was amused to see my 27 year old 550cc I4 have more HP than Harley's 'new' 883 v-twin. I think it's pretty funny shit.

That aside, while I love the SV650, it's turned me into a god damn cop magnet. I never even got a second look on my old ride, but in the less than one month I've owned it, I've been pulled over four times. Jesus christ.
Twice when I was riding the thing back after purchasing it, once because the cop didn't think I had turn signals, as they are integrated into the tail light, and now today because my license plate was 'inappropriately' mounted.
So after whipping up some quick brackets, I'll roll on over to the police station tomorrow. Hope the cop doesn't realize there's no license plate bulb on it.

But yeah, this shit is getting stupid. I ride even slower than I did on my old bike, and cops still gravitate towards me. God damn it.

armage

Quote:

Id probably keep both bikes. Harleys for me have good memories, my dad rode one when I was young. Cruisers are just that... for cruising hehe. Anyways, if I were to get one RIGHT now, it would be the 48, custom 1200cc sportster, because the price is at the upper limit of what I could afford atm. In reality Id probably get the larger bobber style bike they make (name doesnt come to mind, because it was 13-16k and was automatically out of budget, and therefore out of mind).

As for the Vulcan.... if I ended up getting a japanese cruiser, Id end up turning it into a hardtail bobber when the weather got colder, and I would like to have the v twin in it if I did that. (Im being picky I know) which is what appealed to me about the yamahas.

armage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
I wouldn't feel bad, I was looking at bikes a couple weeks before my license course (I could already ride, but not according to the state of Florida). As a matter of fact, if you go into a dealer, speak with a sales rep and they refuse to let you sit on them inside the dealer, I'd walk out and take my potential business along with me.

My wife and I have gone and window shopped tons of times at the local dealers. It's good to see how you fit on the newer models and how they carry their own weight.

thanks for the ecouragement, I stopped by a local harley shop but only because I knew one of the mechanics and didnt feel too akward, but it makes sense what your saying.

What part of florida btw? Ocala here.

claffix

Quote:
In reality Id probably get the larger bobber style bike they make (name doesnt come to mind, because it was 13-16k and was automatically out of budget, and therefore out of mind).

Crossbones.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

armage

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Crossbones.

this

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
No bike is too much for a beginner, it is all dependent upon your right hand. I started on a liter bike and had no issues at all, it's expansive capability allowed me to increase my experience as my comfort level improved. I'm finding myself wanting to go down to a 600-class just for the weight savings. Riding a 600/750, I feel I would of had more issues as a newbie with them because of the shocking onset of power over a short band.

According to everyone on genmay this leads to death each and every time. Crawl before you walk

Except the part where I asked all those who said it and they apparently started on 750s and liters and shit too.

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

There is great wisdom in starting out on smaller displacement/less powerful bikes. The bike will generally be smaller, lighter, and having a slip on the throttle won't cause too much trouble.

I know when I tried riding an old KZ750 for the first time, I was rather intimidated by its size and weight. I wasn't very comfortable riding it. Switching to my XJ550, it wasn't nearly as difficult to manage.
Now with the SV650, the added lightness is great, and it's still about the same size as the XJ550.

Sure people start on liter bikes and shit, but is it wise? Not really. I'd probably always recommend a modern 500cc or less to a new rider, or a less powerful 600+ (like the 650R or SV650).

But fuck all that, why not start out on a geo?