General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

'51 is Sick - Cheezy Video Inside!!!

I got 2 things for Christmas. A GoPro camera, and a '51 chevy with a knock in the motor. Here's an idea...lets combine both gifts along with fast paced music and make a time-lapse of the repairs?

You already knew about the knocking motor...but i'm finally getting around to fixing it since I got some time off of work. Started yesterday pulling out the motor. However, I apparently didn't have the battery in the GoPro fully charged and didn't get that much out of it. Went out and bought an extended battery...worked much better today.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Spoiler:

Bent Rod in #8 causing knock. Cylinder is a bit fucked up too...some pitting. Looks like water has gotten in, and has continued to get into cylinder - long enough to create pitting in the cylinder walls. Wife said it started knocking after car-wash - i now need to grill her as I think she washed the engine, water may have gone into intake, causing that one piston to hydraulic. Tried honing the cylinder, but pits were too deep and was unable to get it out. Need to either sleeve cylinder, or just buy a short block and go from there. Will review options on Monday after i call the machine shop.

Video to be continued. Also plan on rewiring entire car, cleaning up firewall and engine bay (including cutting out a shit load of unnecessary brackets and shitty fabrication and craftsmanship, welding in unnecessary holes in firewall, and repainting). Also need to make a new transmission cross member as the idiot who built the car welded the transmission to the cross member. Only way to take tranny out was to take off cross member and drop it from bottom - but all the bolts in the bell housing was not accessable. Ended up taking a sawzall to the cross member and will do it right. Among other things fucked up are steering box, ugly ass ass brake booster with unnecessary brackets everywhere, original wiring ontop of "new" wiring that happens to be all tangled together, and a radiator support bracket that was welded in and also had to be cut out.

Along with rewiring car, cleaning up engine bay, and fixing stupid shit, I also purchased an A/C kit. Momma's gonna have cold air next summer.

Edit: I've gained an assload of weight this past year. I'm well aware - keep your dirty whore mouths shut. Or don't, I don't give a shit.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

BORKED

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

What engine/tranny? 350/350?

I'd seriously consider finding an engine in better shape, and putting some modern heads on. Well, that depends on what's there now...

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
What engine/tranny? 350/350?

I'd seriously consider finding an engine in better shape, and putting some modern heads on. Well, that depends on what's there now...

Yes...350/350. Will probably just do valve job on existing leads. Nothing wrong with old cast heads... especially on a car that isn't about power...its just a cruiser. Granted newer heads may perform better but dont want to spend money especially when performance isn't a priority on that car. Have late 60s double humps on my 27 roadster. I love the hell out of them. Although some dart heads would be pretty sweet.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

I was more thinking EFI Vortec heads, but it's your car