General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

How to make an infrared sniper rifle from a telescope

Oh, you can build a silencer. Le sigh. You'll never use it - you're not a fucking spy, get over yourself. If you're firing a gun you're either target shooting (doesn't matter), hunting (doesn't matter, your first shot should always hit, if not you're too far away and you shouldn't take the fucking shot so you don't make your prey suffer), or defending yourself (doesn't matter).

An IR sniper rifle is far more useful to have.

Stripping out a laser tag rifle is one means of achieving this, but they're hard to come by and expensive when you do. Building one out of a telescope is much cheaper, easier, and it also provides excellent camoflauge by making you look like a harmless, nerdy astronomer.

The first thing you need to do is find an appropriate infrared emitter. Personally I'm a fan of the Vishay TSTS7100 LED, which is good for 100mA of continuous current and much higher pulse currents - I've personally run them at 750mA at 18% duty cycle, sending RC5 code, with no reliability issues whatsoever. The metal package facilitates cooling, the 940nm wavelength is detectable by most IR devices, and the 5 degree viewing angle allows use with a wide variety of telescopes.

Second thing to do is find an appropriate telescope. For a 5 degree viewing angle, you'll want the (objective diameter / focal length) ratio to be at least tan(5 deg) I've found that there's a large number of cheap refractor telescopes out there with 70mm diameter objective lenses and a 400mm focal length, these are perfectly suited to a 5 degree LED.

Knowing the barrel diameter of the telescope, you next want to make an 'eyepiece' to hold the LED at the focus point of the telescope, so it can collimate the output of the LED into a beam. In a pinch you can drill a hole through a simple piece of wood dowel, but I highly recommend finding a machinist and having them lathe one out of round aluminum stock. By mounting the LED in an aluminum piece, and using thermal epoxy, excellent cooling of the LED ca be obtained and higher powers can be used.

After mounting the LED in a holder and attaching it to the telescope, your next objective is to focus the telescope. This can be done by finding a camera which detects IR (many digital cameras do) or by making two identical LED holders and using a visible red LED to set up the telescope. Run the LED at low current (20mA or so) when you are doing this. While you're at it, take the opportunity to align the viewfinder of the telescope to the IR beam for accurate IR sniping.

To drive the LED, I'd first recommend a high current capable power source - a 1C LiPo battery with a series current limiting resistor is perfect. To switch the LED on and off, I'd recommend finding the highest Hfe NPN transistor that you can which is rated for the current you intend to run the LED at. With a resistor in series with the base to limit the current there, you should be able to tack the circuit directly onto the LED emitter of your universal television remote. Your last objective is to find the make/model of the TV that you want to snipe, and program the universal remote with the codes for that TV. Alternatively you could use a TV-B-Gone device instead of a universal remote.

You now have a IR sniper rifle, capable of controlling a TV with a range of 500 meters or more on a clear night. I've achieved close to 1km.

It helps to have a spotter with a pair of binoculars work theTV remote, but you can do it by yourself if you use the telescope tripod. Have them search for televisions which are playing inappropriate content - eg. Fox News, NASCAR, WWE wrestling or monster trucks. Locate the house through the telescope viewfinder, and neutralize the content by operatng the universal TV remote - either turning the TV off, or changing to a more appropriate channel.

If you have any questions, ask. After all, I'm the motherfucking expert on this stuff.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TUT RAGE!!!

What's wrong with Fox News? Liberal fgt.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

aoeoae

kool

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

:|

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD

I use my silencer all the time. it makes shooting more enjoyable, and safer on the ears.

gee

Your silencer can't turn off a TV though. Well, it can, sorta... but the sound will probably still work, leaving Glenn Beck audible and resulting in a failed objective.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

do you know how to make a cheap FLIR camera..

pyramid

guns turn off TVs...

permanently.

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post

that would be even cooler.

probably harder to do though.

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post

Cheap is relative when it comes to FLIR.

These guys do an $80k FLIR camera for about $30k

http://www.hurleyir.com/

gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
guns turn off TVs...

permanently.
Not reliably. It requires a very precise shot into the main circuit board or power supply assembly of a TV in order to completely disable the TV. Taking out the display panel or CRT will only result in a loss of video; audio will continue to work.

Secondly, the bullet from a gun will break a window, allowing conservative media allegations to escape from the house and causing collateral damage to anyone walking outside or neighbors with their windows open.

Again, I wrote the motherfucking book on this. It's available from some publisher you haven't even heard of, and I'd tell you who it is but that information, along with any information about the special forces team that I work for, is classified.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Oh, you can build a silencer. Le sigh. You'll never use it - you're not a fucking spy, get over yourself. If you're firing a gun you're either target shooting (doesn't matter), hunting (doesn't matter, your first shot should always hit, if not you're too far away and you shouldn't take the fucking shot so you don't make your prey suffer), or defending yourself (doesn't matter).

holy fucking retard

gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
holy fucking retard
Shut the fuck up man, I'm special fucking forces. The doctor told my mom I was special the moment I was born, and I've been taking the special fucking bus to school since kindergarten. You'll never achieve this level of special.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

lol