General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TommyTheCat

A couple of leather doins

I haven't really done that much at all over the last year or so. Haven't had much motivation, but here they are.

This a braintan buckskin belt bag, loosely based on Marston's satchel from Red Dead Redemption. Its fully lined with cotton ticking. This was a beast to make. Each hole on the body of the bag I made required I poke through 2 layers of cotton and 3 layers of thick buckskin. The flaps were going to be fringed, but the sides bulge at the top so I need to cut some stitches and cut some leather.

This is a flint and steel belt pouch, holds the tin and has room for a bag of tinder for making a nest. Antler button, buckskin tassels with tin cones and buffalo hair. The white stuff you see is a wax/oil blend that I need to reheat and work in some more.

Holster I made for the Vaqueros I won 2.5 years ago(it took them that long to get them to me). Tin tacks with the same tassels I mentioned earlier. Had to sell the guns and the holster went with them.

That's it! All I've done over the last year or so lol. Here's my next planned project, as period correct as I can make it Plague Dr mask. This is a design seen in Germany and The Netherlands in the 1600s I believe. I've never fucked with masks, so I really need to get started if I am going to finish it by Halloween.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

awesome! glad to see you're still doing leather.

-vig
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

TommyTheCat

Thank you SirMam

5ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
awesome! glad to see you're still doing leather.

-vig

is vig in MD
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

well MD isn't in me
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.

Do you sell anything you complete? That satchel is cool.

TommyTheCat

I never have. But I feel I'm better at bags than I am holsters(I suck at sheaths). With labor alone I would want 100 for the bag(10+ hours from pattern to completion). But that braintan ,made by hand. Deer was killed and the brains used for tanning by the maker. Then smoked which is hard on its own. The leather in the bag is worth 75-100 alone(haven't priced it lately). I would want at least 200 for it. Still interested? I'm guessing not, that's why its a hobby, not a job lol. Not much of a market.

TommyTheCat

I'm not saying that price because I'm cocky. That's simply labor and materials.

TommyTheCat

This bag, by my leather idol, guarantee you it costs 400+. And he gets it, from individuals(reenactors) and museums.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/Frontier-...uch-front.html

Edit: $400 is a conservative estimate. Going off what I've seen him charge for holsters and similar bags. And the elk in that bag is not bargain bin "elk" hide. It would not be shocking to me to find he killed that elk himself. I've talked to him on the phone about a knife(he's also a blacksmith, if he didn't have enough talent), he is one of the nicest, most humble people I've met. Check out some of his well researched, period correct Indian beading.

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 08-25-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.

I figured it would be pricey. Leather is really cool, though. Stuff like this is a good idea for people who trophy hunt and don't know what to do with the rest of the animal.

I go elk and deer hunting in the fall. This is good food for thought. Might have to find a leather worker in town I can work a deal out with.

TommyTheCat

You can tan it yourself, you don't have to use brain. Eggs can also be used. But its a long hard process that I haven't bothered look in to. Working with braintan is a pleasure(unless there are as many layers as there are in the bag). I had to use an awl for the bag, but normally you use fine sharpened needles that just breeze through the leather.

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.

I wouldn't know the first thing about the tanning process. :P

TommyTheCat

Its fascinating, but not something I'm really interested in doing myself. I have too many irons in the fire and I'm not doing anything about lol.