Rancidpunk666

Wtf, polymer guns, and now polymer ammo

http://www.guns.com/ploycase-ammunit...380-11521.html

I don't see this going bad at all
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Typhoon43

I was wondering if they were ever going to look into plastics for the casing. This could be great. I have a .380, so maybe I need to run a box through my S&W Backup and see what happens.

Rancidpunk666

I think it's uber ironical the gubberment wants these...

Polymers are oil based. They say it'll be lighter to carry more in all stages of production to shipping to soldier carrying.

You know carry more ammo, so we can use more bullets to invade oil rich countries.
.......v

Typhoon43

And Brass is copper and zinc. Guess how they get that? They mine it, with HUGE gas and oil swilling machines.

I've given up on trying to save the Earth by swapping one method for another. They ALL involve Oil.

Lighter = better in my case, so screw the fact it takes oil to make them. EVERYTHING takes oil to produce something these days. There's no "winning"

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
You know carry more ammo, so we can use more bullets to invade oil rich countries.

Or... you know... Reduce the cost of supplies and logistics for our massive military, so they can be well trained and ready for action, if we need them.

I kinda wish I had a .380 caliber gun to try this out in. Maybe I need a PPK...

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post
And Brass is copper and zinc. Guess how they get that? They mine it, with HUGE gas and oil swilling machines.

I've given up on trying to save the Earth by swapping one method for another. They ALL involve Oil.

Lighter = better in my case, so screw the fact it takes oil to make them. EVERYTHING takes oil to produce something these days. There's no "winning"

It apparently takes less oil to make plastic cases, according to the article, so it's sort of a win if you switch.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post

not to mention that lighter ammo means consuming less fossil fuel to move it from point A to point B

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Whoa, I thought you were talking about those new green bullets where they replace the lead and copper with polymer as well.

Now you can have a plastic gun with a plastic shell with plastic bullet and case...

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Whoa, I thought you were talking about those new green bullets where they replace the lead and copper with polymer as well.

Now you can have a plastic gun with a plastic shell with plastic bullet and case...

Wouldn't a plastic bullet be way too light to function properly?

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

I thought I read about some company making special high density composite rounds that were as dense as lead a while back but now this is all I can find:

http://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/121003

Quote:
Lead-free, environmentally friendly ammunition will allow military training ranges to remain open. Lead was an ideal bullet material, due to its high density (11.3g/cm(3)) and formability (Tm = 327 degrees C), but is no longer acceptable due to health concerns. However, the development of high density, nontoxic ammunition rounds has been advanced by engineered polymeric resins. These resins have low densities, so fillers (powdered metals) have been incorporated into these polymeric binders. CeraNova proposes to mold ammunition using a ceramic carbide and other ceramics dispersed within polymeric resins. One ceramic carbide @ 15.7 g/cm(3), is more dense than lead (11.4g/cm(3)). A composite consisting of 63 vol% copper (8.29 g/cm(3)) and 37% polyetherimide (PEI) (1g/cm(3)) yielded a density of 6.0 g/cm(3). By replacing copper with carbides or other ceramics, at similar volume fractions, a density of 10.3g/cm(3) is possible. A 70% carbide/PEI composite will create a density of 11.3g/cm(3). Many ceramic carbides are hard, dense, inexpensive, and chemically inert. There are also many suitable polymer compositions. CeraNova will experiment upon a matrix of polymers and high density ceramics to develop low cost, high density, environmentally `green' ammunitions for .50 caliber, 7.62 mm rounds and nonmilitary applications.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

You can do miniature sabot rounds. Like those armor piercing bullets with a steel core. Hot load + light bullet + strong center = 2000+ fps and it will go through anything.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

This seems like a logical step to me. It works for shotguns, why not hand guns?

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

oh no glocks are a plastic gun and will get on planes n stuff. it must be stopped.

same shit different decade, still plenty of metal in that shit.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
I think it's uber ironical the gubberment wants these...

Polymers are oil based. They say it'll be lighter to carry more in all stages of production to shipping to soldier carrying.

do we invade oil rich countries frequently? have we like become middle eastern oil tycoons in the process?

Rancidpunk666

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcW@teR View Post
do we invade oil rich countries frequently? have we like become middle eastern oil tycoons in the process?

/sarcasm
.......v