General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
I cut and laid tile on my patio, so I feel for you. If you've never done this before, it really is such a physical pain in the ass being on your knees and on your back that whole time. Good luck man, it looks good so far!

Thanks!

I've got a good set of knee pads, purchased when my cast iron plumbing exploded last spring.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Thermo1223

This reminds me of having to tile my downstairs, some day I'll attack that.
I think it is 400. sq ft. total
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Jehannum

After a couple weeks of fucking around with the transmission in my car, I got back to the project.

On the transition from dining room to kitchen, the subfloor changes from ply/particle board to tongue in groove subflooring. I still have to lay four tiles over that, but I'm waiting for the concrete I floated there to dry.

My more attractive helper cleaning the initial gout haze off the tiles

Now I just need to go get a cheese cloth and finish it up:

Any recommendations on grout sealer? I've got some shit I bought several years ago at "World of Tile" called "premium grout sealer", but if there's something better, let me know.

Thermo1223

I was waiting for an update since my wife & I were looking at tiles this weekend. My downstairs is a slab with old, nasty carpet(ick) and it does get really humid down there. No water as far as I can tell but it seems tile is the only way to go.

The issue is I am not sure what to do with our foyer/front door & the steps leading up to the downstairs. Should I use the same tile, should I even use the same tile in both rooms above that & the hallway.

I've ruled out wood because of the moisture, it just wouldn't work. I'm taking 65% humidity easily when it rains a bit. I already have a dehumidifier pulling it out.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
I was waiting for an update since my wife & I were looking at tiles this weekend. My downstairs is a slab with old, nasty carpet(ick) and it does get really humid down there. No water as far as I can tell but it seems tile is the only way to go.

The issue is I am not sure what to do with our foyer/front door & the steps leading up to the downstairs. Should I use the same tile, should I even use the same tile in both rooms above that & the hallway.

I've ruled out wood because of the moisture, it just wouldn't work. I'm taking 65% humidity easily when it rains a bit. I already have a dehumidifier pulling it out.

If the rooms are separated by a hallway/stairwell, you don't have to go with the same tile. I'm doing that with my dining room and kitchen because they're separated by basically nothing (a 12" threshold), and the linoleum in the kitchen is shit.

IIRC, this tile was somewhere around $1.20/sq. ft. I've had it in my closet for 3 years (it was a gift for my first wedding anniversary, and we just passed 4 years).

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
After a couple weeks of fucking around with the transmission in my car, I got back to the project.

On the transition from dining room to kitchen, the subfloor changes from ply/particle board to tongue in groove subflooring. I still have to lay four tiles over that, but I'm waiting for the concrete I floated there to dry.

My more attractive helper cleaning the initial gout haze off the tiles

Now I just need to go get a cheese cloth and finish it up:

Any recommendations on grout sealer? I've got some shit I bought several years ago at "World of Tile" called "premium grout sealer", but if there's something better, let me know.

I'm not as versed on sealers as I once was because I don't use them anymore. I use epoxy grout, which doesn't need sealing. With that in mind:

The TileLab grout/stone sealer from home depot is a good basic sealer for grout. If you want to go higher then 511 impregnator by Miracle sealants is an upgrade. Either should work fine. Take a look and read on them while you're there, they usually have them all in the same spot. Just don't get that stupid sealer in a spray can that you spray all over the tile.

Get some of those cheap chip brushes (2") wide, and put the metal band just over the bristles (but not the wood) and flatten the bristles to a thin line. Then cut them off evenly so they are about 3/4" long. Works great for sealing grout joints your size. The foam brushes shed sponge particles (the sanded grout "sands" the foam) so don't use them.

topcat989

Quote:

Where's the house located at? Even with tile you may need some moisture barrier underneath the tile.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
Where's the house located at? Even with tile you may need some moisture barrier underneath the tile.

PA where the winters are cold & summers hot and it rains a good amount.

Should seal or prime the slab?

topcat989

Quote:
PA where the winters are cold & summers hot and it rains a good amount.

Should seal or prime the slab?

I would. I'm west coast so I'm not as familar with products available and code for moisture barrier on slab on grade for east coast. Take your time and do some research. Have an experienced, licsened tile contractor come out for a couple of hours and walk you through materials and methods. If you do a little homework to find the right tile guy paying for an hour or two of his time will be a worthwhile investment.