General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

elchorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cashel View Post
This, I've done it before without needing lighter fluid. Just use a good bit of newspaper wadded up in the bottom.

Yes, indeed, you need newspaper at the bottom. I roll it int doughnut shapes and stick it in there. This way, there is an air hole so air can go up the middle into the coals. See the video below. When I prepared the grill for the steak, those coals went from cold to nuclear furnace hot in about 15 minutes. There were sharp jets of flame coming out of the top of the chimney, like a giant blow torch.

I've never used lighter fluid if using a chimney starter.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

www.flickr.com/photos/marshallalsup
Nikon D800, Nikkor 105 VR, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-300 VR, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Nikkor 16-35 f/4

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

elchorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malne View Post
Salting your steak is the way to go, the longer the better. I've been doing around 30 minutes lately in the interest of time but never less than 15 minutes. Mine tend to resemble salt licks, if you can see red there's not enough salt on there. Yes, salt will pull moisture out of the steak, but once it equalizes the gradient it will actually start pulling salt (and pepper and garlic and whatever else is on there) into the meat, denaturing the proteins and leaving it flavorful, juicy and delicious. Scrape off most of it, leave enough to keep it seasoned, throw it on the grill and enjoy.

Damn, never heard of this! I have some NICE bone in rib steaks from Costco. I was planning to make one tonight so I'll try this. Hopeing for the best

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malne View Post
Salting your steak is the way to go, the longer the better. I've been doing around 30 minutes lately in the interest of time but never less than 15 minutes. Mine tend to resemble salt licks, if you can see red there's not enough salt on there. Yes, salt will pull moisture out of the steak, but once it equalizes the gradient it will actually start pulling salt (and pepper and garlic and whatever else is on there) into the meat, denaturing the proteins and leaving it flavorful, juicy and delicious. Scrape off most of it, leave enough to keep it seasoned, throw it on the grill and enjoy.

I tried this once, let it sit in sea salt for 45 minutes with a heavy coating on top for good measure. The steaks were then rinsed off and dabbed dry with a paper towel. I'm not sure what happened, but a great amount of the salt was somehow retained into the meat and it ended up tasting FAR too salty. I was disappointed as I had heard so many good things about this process before. Where did I go wrong?

elchorizo

Tried the salt lick thing

I tried the salt lick thing tonight so I thought I'd share some more pics:

1: Nice bone in rib steak covered in salt as Malne suggested.

larger

2: This is what the coals looked like after about 18 minutes from when I lit the newspaper. As you can see, the coals are hot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marshal...44549/sizes/l/

3: Rinsed off teh salt and was suprised to see how dark red the meat had become. I added some pepper and threw it on the grill.

larger

4: Are you hungry? Let that steak rest first!! I know its hard!

larger

5: It was delicious, but a little dry. Especially by the 2nd half. I am not sure if it was the salt process that made it a bit dry. Hard to say, but for now I'll probably stay with the old method. It was still fun.

larger

Xayd

you guys that are salting your steaks, i think you missed the part where he said KOSHER salt. sea salt is an acceptable alternative as well.

reasoning: kosher salt is large flakes, sea salt is pretty chunky grains too. they can't penetrate into the meat all that much. the fine particles of plain table salt can, that's how it leeches so much water out and makes the meat tougher and overly salty. kosher or sea salt will give a much better result, and not over dry the meat. you're just trying to get the moisture in the meat moving, not suck it all out. remember how they said osmosis would be useful someday in 8th grade science class? this is the practical application of it, basically. i use sea salt personally, and let the meat sit covered with the salt for about 30-45 minutes. i also brush it with butter (not margarine you , for any whiner that would try with margarine. 'leaded' butter ) while it's cooking, just a few swipes as you flip each side. the butter will add back some of the moisture that was lost from the salting.

Last edited by Xayd; 05-25-2010 at 12:38 AM..

elchorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
you guys that are salting your steaks, i think you missed the part where he said KOSHER salt. sea salt is an acceptable alternative as well.

reasoning: kosher salt is large flakes, sea salt is pretty chunky grains too. they can't penetrate into the meat all that much. the fine particles of plain table salt can, that's how it leeches so much water out and makes the meat tougher and overly salty. kosher or sea salt will give a much better result, and not over dry the meat. you're just trying to get the moisture in the meat moving, not suck it all out. i use sea salt personally, and let the meat sit covered with the salt for about 30-45 minutes. just when you start to see the salt turn wet, you can wash it all off.

I used kosher salt for the above. And like I said, it was good, but by the end it was a little dry. Not too dry, but more than I would have liked

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchorizo View Post
I used kosher salt for the above. And like I said, it was good, but by the end it was a little dry. Not too dry, but more than I would have liked

yea, the butter helps in that regard. the proper type of salt does have a very good tenderizing effect, but a little butter to replace the lost moisture goes a long way. that's why you'll often see restaurants prep steaks with butter in the plate before they're served. any moisture lost between the grill and the table will be equalized by the butter underneath.

Forever Domon

also if you rinse off the salt, you're washing away all the moisture it pulled out. I prefer to definitely load it up with salt, but not so much that you have to rinse it to get it off.

elchorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
also if you rinse off the salt, you're washing away all the moisture it pulled out. I prefer to definitely load it up with salt, but not so much that you have to rinse it to get it off.

What you said is what I usually do domon. I wanted to try this suggested method though.

Xayd, I used to always melt butter on the steak just before I pulled it off. It was luscious. However, recently, I've found that I prefer putting olive oil on instead. I guess I just like that flavor a bit more. I bet it has a similar effect. I didn't use the olive oil for this steak though (the salt lick) because when I try something new I always try to stick to the recipe perfectly the first time. Maybe if I do this again, I'll go with the butter as you suggest, or olive oil... or both (I'm getting fat just thinking about it).

PS. I'm fucking full lol

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something thatís common knowledge. Then I make

I hardly season steaks, but I don't like even a hint of salts. However I buy quality looking steaks and I'm picky

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

Malne

Quote:

I've noticed when using a lot of salt that the balance of the steak gets thrown off a lot easier, if you leave it on just for an extra minute or two then it can turn out dryer than normal.

JoePits
this shit right here is some HARDCORE SHIT -- its made from PLANT SHIT

good thread even though cooking a steak and potato is pretty simple it was a good read.

had lots of steaks lately since we bought the family packs of ribyes because they were $6 off per pound so like $3 a pound.

i just put a little kosher salt and a lot of black pepper. we use a gas grill but its my uncles who lives next door and he doesn't like us much so this thread made me think about buying a charcoal grill.

afxacid

Quote:
What you said is what I usually do domon. I wanted to try this suggested method though.

Xayd, I used to always melt butter on the steak just before I pulled it off. It was luscious. However, recently, I've found that I prefer putting olive oil on instead. I guess I just like that flavor a bit more. I bet it has a similar effect. I didn't use the olive oil for this steak though (the salt lick) because when I try something new I always try to stick to the recipe perfectly the first time. Maybe if I do this again, I'll go with the butter as you suggest, or olive oil... or both (I'm getting fat just thinking about it).

PS. I'm fucking full lol

did you let the steak sit for ~ 10+ minutes (usually lightly wrapped in foil) before cutting?

elchorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afxacid View Post
did you let the steak sit for ~ 10+ minutes (usually lightly wrapped in foil) before cutting?

Indeed I did, exactly 10 minutes in fact. I had a foil dome over the plate while it was resting to help keep it warm.

I dont want to imply the steak was bone dry, far from it. In fact, at first it was nicely moist, but as I got towards the end it was a bit dry. Still delicious, and I had some juices on the plate to mop with, so it wasn't a problem. It was just something I noticed between the cooking styles I tried.

2[H]4U

No one else puts on a italian marinade on their steaks? I've been doing it for years and it tastes amazinggggggggg.