General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

shabubu
gayniggers from outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKiller View Post
Fresh Direct was annoying. Cost even more, but their error rate was ~30%. We had a cold storage for food at our building, it was a nice feature.

I think one of our biggest problems was the space. When we lived in FL we had 1500sqft for 1K. In DC we had 1,300sqft for 1,800. Move to NYC, 688sqft for 3,500. We ended up getting rid of our car, 50% of our stuff, all to cram into that small space. Eventually getting rid of the car got pretty annoying.

If you're used to space and a car, both of us grew up on multi-acre properties with 2800+sqft houses, it can be a huge change.

However, as I said before, we absolutely loved being close to Lincoln. We saw the NY Phil play about 20 times, including John Williams conducting (we were 2 rows away!). It got better when they put a BBY in there.

I believe the above poster is correct. You can have a blast if you're single and can live with people, or you're rich and can afford tons of space. While we make a good amount of money, we just don't fall into the latter category. Even if we did I can't justify the expense. I'm glad we lived there when we did, experienced it, and then decided to move.

CT is a hell of a lot better than NJ or LI though.

We've had good experiences with FreshDirect. It is worth the premium IF you are far away from a supermarket, imo.

And I know exactly how you feel in terms of moving from a house to a cramped apt. I was spoiled and grew up in a nice suburban home with 6 rooms, 5 bathrooms and a kitchen that rivals large 1 BR apts in NYC. After moving, we now have 4 people living in a 2BR apt. It's amazing how much smaller it is, and depressing that the gigantic house in a nice area was actually CHEAPER than the 2 BR apt.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

LegendKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabubu View Post
We've had good experiences with FreshDirect. It is worth the premium IF you are far away from a supermarket, imo.

And I know exactly how you feel in terms of moving from a house to a cramped apt. I was spoiled and grew up in a nice suburban home with 6 rooms, 5 bathrooms and a kitchen that rivals large 1 BR apts in NYC. After moving, we now have 4 people living in a 2BR apt. It's amazing how much smaller it is, and depressing that the gigantic house in a nice area was actually CHEAPER than the 2 BR apt.

My parents had a nice house, but it was in an exurb in MN. We had ~2800sqft, almost 2 acres, a pool, 3 car garage, on a lake. That house, in CT, would have ~2-3mm. To me that's utterly insane (well, so is my salary. when I told my dad, he flipped).

It's an interesting environment out here. We certainly love the east coast, tons better than the west.

I couldn't even imagine living in an apartment with somebody other than my wife. Last time I did that was freshman year with a very strange roommate.