General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

ITT: I lay a tile floor

I started this project this morning.

Our dining room, an addition in the late '70s, was built to a very special code: any shortcut possible to take, was taken. About the only thing to code back there is the floor - 5/8" particle board over 3/4" plywood. Slowly, I've been rehabbing things (copper wiring instead of aluminum, doors that don't suck, windows that don't leak, next will be the roof).

Note the crappy carpet. Laid in 2001 as a concession to our buying the house, it's threadbare and a half in the high traffic areas.

Carpet, pad and moldings removed, and the subfloor sealed (gotta seal particle board if it's going to be exposed to any moisture at all, or it'll swell up and disintegrate).

Craptastic transition for the back door

Started on the concrete subfloor

Finished concrete subfloor:

Maybe tomorrow, I'll start laying the tile.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

topcat989

You should have staggered the durock sheets.

Did you use fiberglass tape on the joints?

And how are the sheets fastened to the floor- nails or the durock screws? Did you put any thinset under the durock?

What kind of tile are you putting in? What thinset are you using?

and what are you going by- experience, how-to book/vid, friend, etc?

EDIT: wait, what is the sub-floor? Concrete?

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
You should have staggered the durock sheets.

Did you use fiberglass tape on the joints?

And how are the sheets fastened to the floor- nails or the durock screws? Did you put any thinset under the durock?

What kind of tile are you putting in? What thinset are you using?

and what are you going by- experience, how-to book/vid, friend, etc?

EDIT: wait, what is the sub-floor? Concrete?

Shit, I knew I forgot something (staggering). I'm working according to instructions from a friend in the contracting business.

Sheets are held down by polymer-modified thinset and concrete screws every 6-8". The joints are taped and floated with mortar.

Subfloor is 5/8" particle board over 3/4" plywood. The particle board was sealed before I put thinset over the top of it. The only reason I didn't pull the particle board before I started was that I would have had to make up the height difference with concrete board, and that would have been cost-prohibitive.

Helper doing the sealing:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The tile going down is 12"x12" ceramic floor tile, with a "rose clay" pattern on the face. Originally, I was going to use clay saltillo tiles, but the maintenance would have been a big pain in the ass.

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Shit, I knew I forgot something (staggering). I'm working according to instructions from a friend in the contracting business.

Sheets are held down by polymer-modified thinset and concrete screws every 6-8". The joints are taped and floated with mortar.

Subfloor is 5/8" particle board over 3/4" plywood. The particle board was sealed before I put thinset over the top of it. The only reason I didn't pull the particle board before I started was that I would have had to make up the height difference with concrete board, and that would have been cost-prohibitive.

Helper doing the sealing:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The tile going down is 12"x12" ceramic floor tile, with a "rose clay" pattern on the face. Originally, I was going to use clay saltillo tiles, but the maintenance would have been a big pain in the ass.

I strongly, strongly suggest you bite the bullet and buy&use red guard on the floor. Paint it on with a roller, using cross hatch pattern to get even coating. First I would hit the surface with a burn coat of thinset, then let that dry. Then red guard it, let that dry. Then burn another coat of thinset, use FlexBond (white color, don't use grey). These steps will help to prevent cracking grout or tile.

EDIT: where do you live?

Jehannum

Albuquerque, New Mexico

edit: and Flexbond is what I bought for thinset.

Last edited by Jehannum; 05-29-2010 at 06:06 PM..

topcat989

Quote:
Albuquerque, New Mexico

edit: and Flexbond is what I bought for thinset.

ok. I'd still recommend using red guard for added crack prevention. When you set the tile be sure to only comb a small part of the floor at a time. In that weather the thinset will "skin over" quickly, damaging the bond. If the tile has big lugs on the back it's a good idea to back butter them as you set them. Lay them down into the thinset, then wriggle them around to embed them. Hope your floor is flat.

If you had to do over again, removing the particle board and having an experienced tile setter float you a flat floor makes setting a nice flat tile floor much easier.

Have you put at least a 4ft level/straightedge on the floor to check for humps/dips?

Jehannum

Quote:
ok. I'd still recommend using red guard for added crack prevention. When you set the tile be sure to only comb a small part of the floor at a time. In that weather the thinset will "skin over" quickly, damaging the bond. If the tile has big lugs on the back it's a good idea to back butter them as you set them. Lay them down into the thinset, then wriggle them around to embed them. Hope your floor is flat.

If you had to do over again, removing the particle board and having an experienced tile setter float you a flat floor makes setting a nice flat tile floor much easier.

Have you put at least a 4ft level/straightedge on the floor to check for humps/dips?
Yeah, it's straight and level, though I only have an 8 ft. level (and a 6").

I'll be checking each tile as I set it, too.

topcat989

Quote:
Yeah, it's straight and level, though I only have an 8 ft. level (and a 6").

I'll be checking each tile as I set it, too.

Having a flat base is half the battle. GG

Xayd

Quote:

you can get 5/8 ply. if you ever wind up doing this again in other rooms, that's how i'd go, two layers of ply in opposing patterns should be quite stable.

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
you can get 5/8 ply. if you ever wind up doing this again in other rooms, that's how i'd go, two layers of ply in opposing patterns should be quite stable.

His floor is 3/4 ply for subfloor, 5/8 particle board, then 1/2" durock.

for his other floors he should pull the particle board and use one layer of ply, then durock.

course if it was me, I'd just float the floors. Better, stronger, but not faster.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post

The other room that's getting tile in the house is the kitchen, and it's got 3/4" tongue in groove subfloor. If I need to make up any height (and it doesn't look that way), I'll do it with OSB or something.

Jehannum

Smaller helper nesting in my lap:

After the useful helper (my pops) went home:

After I called it quits for the day (still need to get into my bedroom without trampling tiles on wet mortar)

I'll have to let poochtardo out the front door and through the gate into the back for tonight:

I floated out the spots under the tile with a little bit of mortar and let it dry, working different sections as I moved. Fortunately, the mortar skins over in about 5 minutes here, so I was able to move relatively quickly.

MadDog
NO FAT CHICKS!!!

looking good man

Xayd

Quote:
His floor is 3/4 ply for subfloor, 5/8 particle board, then 1/2" durock.

for his other floors he should pull the particle board and use one layer of ply, then durock.

course if it was me, I'd just float the floors. Better, stronger, but not faster.

agreed on floating the floors, but that's not really diy friendly. he said the reason for maintaining the extra layer was a height problem. gotta get the height somehow.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

I cut and laid tile on my patio, so I feel for you. If you've never done this before, it really is such a physical pain in the ass being on your knees and on your back that whole time. Good luck man, it looks good so far!