General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

tunaman

Generators??

I am finding myself in need of a generator and am finding that there is a lot of crap stuff out there. About the only thing I do know is that I cant really afford a Honda. Can anybody make any recomendations? I figure I need a 4-5000 kw genny and am looking for something I can use on the go when camping or also something I can hook up to my house when needed. I was looking at the Onan 4.0 generators that are usually found in RVs. I saw one tricked out with a steel cage, a battery holder, and a fuel tank and it looked like it could be a badass system but they wanted a bit too much for it ($1200 vs ~$400 for onan 4.0 with no tank)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Stereodude

You probably want an inverter based generator. They have much cleaner power output and burn less gas under light to moderate loads and are typically quieter because they can vary their RPM.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Honestly, save up and get the honda.

Reason being you can still get parts for honda generators made in the 80's. But if you buy a chinese special at Home Depot and the thing breaks in two years, out of warranty, good luck getting the thing fixed.

mohavewolfpup
I masturbated a guy to death with my own hands

don't buy chinese shit at all. ever. horrible garbage. stick with brand names like honda, briggs and stratton, onan, etc.

If you have a little mechanical skill under your belt, call/visit junkyards. Preferably junkyards that are cluttered hell holes, not corporate run dumps like pick a part.

You want to have one that will get rv's in it. Or visit a RV junkyard. Obviously newer ones are expensive as hell (i've seen caterpillar diesel gensets for big RV coaches that can set you back $4000+) but you might be able to find a good Onan gasser or hopefully a diesel.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in general or your budget, so we need more info. Going to run it at a camp ground that has bogus noise restrictions or just a emergency genset in case of power outages?

Budget is your biggest problem at this point. Do you want diesel? propane/gas? (some can be converted to run on propane, or come that way already/maybe just needs a plug in kit (some hondas do that) and so forth

generally you want a quality one like onan, cummins, honda, etc. Chinese trash (home depot, pep boys, checker/schucks/kragen, autozone, *snickers* harbor freight (hah) ) will have the chinese garbage. Power surges, clogs, grounding issues, etc come with chinese gen sets. Cheap up front, but not in the future when it blows up your laptops/lights/whatever you power...

Keep in mind if you are powering say a television, roof top ac units, etc that you need extra power.

a 1980's travel trailer I used to help fix somewhat for a dog adoption place had a rooftop ac unit that required about 4500 watts of surge power to kick the compressor on, then it idled down to about 3000 watts? I forgot honestly, but you get the idea.

If the generator can't give that extra power, it will cause issues with everything

Last edited by mohavewolfpup; 06-02-2010 at 07:47 AM..

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

5000 kw?? what kind of camping do you do??

California Pizza Chicken

tunaman

The camping I do is mainly of the burningman variety. Car camping where bringing the kitchen sink is no problem. My budget is under $600. I figured Onan was a good brand but I am not really sure. I know to stay away from the off-name brands though. I would rather have something I can rebuilt myself or at a small engine shop. For burningman I am mainly going to be running the AC during the day and some camp lighting at night. I would love to find a diesel generator as my van is diesel but I have not been able to find one under a grand. I also have a house in Mexico and periodically the power goes out. Would like to have the generator as a backup I can plugin to the electrical box as well when the power goes out.

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

for sub 600 bucks you want to cruise CL or equiv to find a good used unit.

there is nothing finer than a quality diesel generator - they'll run on just the thought of fuel

mohavewolfpup
I masturbated a guy to death with my own hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman View Post
The camping I do is mainly of the burningman variety. Car camping where bringing the kitchen sink is no problem. My budget is under $600. I figured Onan was a good brand but I am not really sure. I know to stay away from the off-name brands though. I would rather have something I can rebuilt myself or at a small engine shop. For burningman I am mainly going to be running the AC during the day and some camp lighting at night. I would love to find a diesel generator as my van is diesel but I have not been able to find one under a grand. I also have a house in Mexico and periodically the power goes out. Would like to have the generator as a backup I can plugin to the electrical box as well when the power goes out.

poke around junk yards and see what they will offer. maybe one has a decent price on them. if you are mechanically decent, get a price quote from the junk yard, and maybe you can haggle with them by "breaking" it in some way that is easily fixable. Maybe they will drop the price some if you catch my drift....

Diesel will command a higher premium due to it's reliablity over a gasser. If you can't find a cheap diesel turn key genset, maybe you want to look into if one can be built from a truck engine? *shrugs*

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
5000 kw?? what kind of camping do you do??

I guess camping means, "powering a subdivision"

tunaman

I started poking around and found an Onan 5 kilowatt genny out of late 80s RV for $250 in running condition. I am guessing that I probably cant beat that. Everything else is like $350+.

Subdivision is about right. My camp at bman is about 40 people with all sorts of lighting as well as air conditioners in 2 places. We already have 2 Hondas that we link together for the sound systems but want to have a seperate one for myself for powering everything else.