General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Munky73770

*drool*

Some of our high ranking guys in the alliance brought down their uber ships...navy issue mega's, vindi's, machs, to name a few. Anyway, here is a pic of the navy mega... I think it looks fuckin sweet.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Munky73770

Well two days ago we were chasing a mini BoB fleet around Stain, but when we ran into their scouts, they safed and logged. As we were heading back home, we ran into a AAA camp and we gang banged them. We had 3 losses, but they lost all their shit (geddons, some cruisers, etc).

Anyway, here are the only two screens I took lol. I frapsed the little battle, but the vid for some reason came out really grainy.

MattyGasCar

hey guys, I'm starting up the 14 day free trial.

Anything I need to know?

goatlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienge.
I like this post from the MMO thread and highlights an important point about t2 ships that n00bs like me may not realize.
I painfully remember that every time I lose even a T1 ship... platinum insurance only covered like a million ISK over the value of my Thorax, and I'd easily fitted more than that to it. If you fit it with unnamed modules, you'd probably be covered, but unnamed modules kinda suck.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlord
I painfully remember that every time I lose even a T1 ship... platinum insurance only covered like a million ISK over the value of my Thorax, and I'd easily fitted more than that to it. If you fit it with unnamed modules, you'd probably be covered, but unnamed modules kinda suck.
Do the unnamed ones really suck that bad?

The named hardware I've been able to find seems like it's really only marginally superiour to the generic ones; certainly not worth the 1000+% markup they get for it from what I can tell. In world of warcraft terms, it doesn't seem to be analogous to the World of Warcraft white/grey/green/blue scheme, where one is just tonnes better than the next. Am I wrong? I had to outfit another frigate yesterday after some jackass one-hit ganked me (I had literally nothing on my ship worth more than about 100K isk) for no apparent reason, so I used the unnamed items. Maybe it's because I paid closer attention to the ammunition I'm using (I now have weapons with lots of EM damage that tear the crap out of the NPC drones/ships' shields), but they seem to be slightly more effective.

Also, I have another question. Maybe I just missed this in the tutorial, but how does Concord work? I was attacked (and pod killed) yesterday in .4 security space. Every time I even accidentally attack something owned by another player, Concord immediately shows up and gang rapes me. Like, literally immediately. I don't even last 5 seconds.

How do you know, before you attack another player, that this isn't going to happen? Is it just space with a security level less than .5?

Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind
Do the unnamed ones really suck that bad?

The named hardware I've been able to find seems like it's really only marginally superiour to the generic ones; certainly not worth the 1000+% markup they get for it from what I can tell. In world of warcraft terms, it doesn't seem to be analogous to the World of Warcraft white/grey/green/blue scheme, where one is just tonnes better than the next. Am I wrong? I had to outfit another frigate yesterday after some jackass one-hit ganked me (I had literally nothing on my ship worth more than about 100K isk) for no apparent reason, so I used the unnamed items. Maybe it's because I paid closer attention to the ammunition I'm using (I now have weapons with lots of EM damage that tear the crap out of the NPC drones/ships' shields), but they seem to be slightly more effective.

Also, I have another question. Maybe I just missed this in the tutorial, but how does Concord work? I was attacked (and pod killed) yesterday in .4 security space. Every time I even accidentally attack something owned by another player, Concord immediately shows up and gang rapes me. Like, literally immediately. I don't even last 5 seconds.

How do you know, before you attack another player, that this isn't going to happen? Is it just space with a security level less than .5?
Concord does not respond in space below 0.5. Conversely, those of us with -5 or lower security statuses cannot enter 0.5 or above space without running the risk of being attacked by the empire navies.

As for named vs. unnamed... well, it's up to you, but every little bit helps. Also often the named equipment is easier to fit--it'll use less CPU or powergrid, etc. Some things are just more effective as named (or tech II) modules. Every little bit of resistances in armor/shield tanking helps.

You may not be running tight fits yet, but often with tech II frigates (and even certain cruisers) you'll be down to counting out your last few bits of CPU and Power Grid to get things to fit, and you may have to use named equipment to get it to fit.

goatlord

I prefer named equipment when the difference is huge. I think my named small Nosferatus pulled in an extra 8 energy per cycle... 20% more. Named 100mm plates have 40 extra armor over unnamed. My anode light guns have ~15% higher damage multiplier. Like Kenshin said, every little bit helps. I generally look at it in a price/performance fashion though... I've not bought the 1.5million ISK guns or anything, because it's more than likely I'll get blowed up (since I suck).

Incubus

Quote:
I prefer named equipment when the difference is huge. I think my named small Nosferatus pulled in an extra 8 energy per cycle... 20% more. Named 100mm plates have 40 extra armor over unnamed. My anode light guns have ~15% higher damage multiplier. Like Kenshin said, every little bit helps. I generally look at it in a price/performance fashion though... I've not bought the 1.5million ISK guns or anything, because it's more than likely I'll get blowed up (since I suck).

Also don't forget that those percentages are multiplied by your skills, so they become even larger. Each small bonus may not seem like much, but a ship with all named mods will be far more effective than a ship with all stock t1 - those bonuses all add up.

MattyGasCar

I have a question.

If you just fly in space in a direction, will it go on infinately?

Can you fly to other solar systems by just going in that direction and not using warp or stargates? Even if it took a long time?

goatlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGasCar
I have a question.

If you just fly in space in a direction, will it go on infinately?

Can you fly to other solar systems by just going in that direction and not using warp or stargates? Even if it took a long time?
The first time I started a trial account, like two years ago, you could just fire up the warpdrive and go til you ran out of cap. I could get a pretty long way out, but I don't know how it works now.

In a related question, how do you go about setting safespots? I can't seem to get my ship to drop from warp once I'm on my way to something...

Karlious

Create a bookmark mid warp.

goatlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlious
Create a bookmark mid warp.
Ah... thanks.

RazorWind

Ok, another question.

Yesterday, I was attacked by someone in a badger that had some sort of jamming device that kept me from being able to target him. How does one counter this? He couldn't damage my shields fast enough to knock them down, but I couldn't target him to fire back once he got close enough for anything other than missiles. Do I just train up targeting, or is there some sort of device that's used for that purpose?

goatlord

If you could hit him with missiles, it sounds like he was using an ECM burst module... an AoE sensor jammer with about 5km range. That appears to be the only thing I can find that would disrupt target locks. It seems like you can counter it with ECCM modules... you turn them on and they boost your sensor strength up so you can still function.

As to why you were attacked... we were talking about maybe he just wanted to demoralize you by killing you with an industrial, but you said you were warp jammed too. Suppose he was holding you down and jamming you so his buddy could come in and rip you apart?

Edit: He probably should have webbed you too, to keep you from running out of range of his warp disruptor.

Last edited by goatlord; 09-22-2006 at 10:57 AM..

RazorWind

Quote:
If you could hit him with missiles, it sounds like he was using an ECM burst module... an AoE sensor jammer with about 5km range. That appears to be the only thing I can find that would disrupt target locks. It seems like you can counter it with ECCM modules... you turn them on and they boost your sensor strength up so you can still function.

As to why you were attacked... we were talking about maybe he just wanted to demoralize you by killing you with an industrial, but you said you were warp jammed too. Suppose he was holding you down and jamming you so his buddy could come in and rip you apart?
I dunno. I eventually got away without losing my ship.

My hunch is that he probably wanted to drive me off for some reason.