General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread

Jah191

Quote:
Originally posted by UnknownWanderer
I'm figuring a healthy combination of a strong mind AND spirit is better than just trying to analyze everything, especially things you'll never really know or understand.
This is what sickens me the most about religion. It's a stagnation of the mind, a murder of the very thing that created the society we live in today. God didn't discover the effectiveness of penicillin, or the marvel of electricity, it was the human mind, the very mind that according to you should "stop analyzing everything." Your mind is a powerful tool with infinite potential, don't let it atrophy into a withered mass of cells "filled with the glory of god."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

deltabourne
Mike27 is my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

for sale. cheap. i'm willing to part with it for $10,000

Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon her head
Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer made sure that she was dead

Last edited by deltabourne; 06-14-2003 at 05:43 PM..

Aric

I hate religion. If you believe in God you dont need a priest to tell you what to believe and how to talk to him. Just do what feels right and if you feel like praying to god then just do it.
I remember asking a rabbi once why I had to go to synnague to pray to god and why I couldnt do it at home if he was all knowing and everywhere. He said that while god is everywhere some places are more holy then others and since god is so busy he only pays attention to the holy places. HAHA.
In closing religion is a crock and a waste of time. Believing or not wont change your life. We will all find out one way or another after we die and until then it really doesnt matter. As long as you live your life well I dont think your going to burn in hell just for not believing in God. And if you do....then fuck thats not a god I want to worship.

224e9bde244ee1e1cd08cd65668c6a35

if all life is a setup for us to be a part of a big game, might as well make mini-games to make life interesting

limproach

Quote:
Originally posted by vinnie
Congratulations.

Christians are normal people, just with a little faith in something other than money and the world around us. There's a few around here that'd gladly offer any support or answer and questions you have.
what's that supposed to mean?

if you're not christian you're (basically) a bad person?

just trying to figure out where you were going with that

limproach

Quote:
Originally posted by mathlete
Are you kidding? The recently converted are some of the most zealous Christians. He's just regurgitating what he was told and hasn't taken any time to question it.

correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't one of the basic ideas of christianity that you take what you are told to be correct (without question)

that's the way I understand it as a Jew (where questioning and discussion is encouraged, not just preaching at everyone

cats

That's nice. One day you will realize God is not real.

ilkka

Quote:
Originally posted by limproach
correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't one of the basic ideas of christianity that you take what you are told to be correct (without question)

that's the way I understand it as a Jew (where questioning and discussion is encouraged, not just preaching at everyone
You are wrong. At least Lutherans are supposed to read the bible and question.

BlutStein

Congrats UnknownWanderer. Don't let the non-believers get to you, its your choice and your life to live as you see fit. As to why some people get so upset when someone becomes a christian is beyond me, but thats their problem.

Welcome to the family.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

w|red

religion.. ahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahaha

undertakr

Quote:
Originally posted by Cjwinnit
Anyone trying to change the views of a member in The Pit is going to have a tough time. I think the pit is a good way of looking at what arguments from either side are. Just sit back and watch it.
I've been here since the beginning, its really only the religion threads that get to me because they are the most pointless of the pointless. I can barely comprehend the dribble that most people are typing now. For the first bunch of pages people were just responding to each other's responses trying to 'logic' their way into a 'winning position.'

undertakr

Quote:
Originally posted by Aric
I remember asking a rabbi once why I had to go to synnague to pray to god and why I couldnt do it at home if he was all knowing and everywhere. He said that while god is everywhere some places are more holy then others and since god is so busy he only pays attention to the holy places. HAHA.

You had a shitty rabbi. Or were you 8 years old at the time?
Meh, my rabbi > *

undertakr

Quote:
Originally posted by liquidfire
, because we don't know if he's actually happy. for all we know he could go hardcore on us in the next hour just so he could go to heaven faster.

What?

Entmoof~
"At least your dick isn't skinny"--Hootbot

WOW GOOD FOR YOU MISTER UNKNOWN WANDERER, YOU FUCKING LOSER

WOW IT MUST HAVE BEEN SUCH AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE, A BUNCH OF PEOPLE PLAYING INSTRUMENTS, A 2000 YEAR OLD BOOK WITH WORDS IN IT, AND PEOPLE FALLING TO THEIR KNEES.

I wish I could be so successful in life just like you!!!!!!!!111111111111111

damn, a bunch of kids did a great job with the peer pressure on your sorry ass!

fuckin' in-fucking-credible

bend your ass over, you'll go to heaven faster!

ass
Asmodeus

remember, god is the perfection, he created further perfection in his son, christ... he is the ideal by which christians world wide try to achieve... its the commitment that is made in having the faith to believe in christ that is all that is required... it is that faith to believe in something greater than just your works or yourself that elevates you in total as a human being...

Quote:
Originally posted by UnknownWanderer
My friend invited me to a Christian summer camp for the past week. His youth group and church paid my costs of $300 even though I registered only a day before the trip.

I've been an atheist for the good portion of my life, although I attended Catholic private schools until middle school.

Anyways, I go to this camp, and its fun, actually. I thought it would be very boring and linear and monotonous, much like the Catholic church I attended when I was little. It basically ended up working out to Bible study for an hour in the morning, sports or various activities to sign up for during the day, and Worship fior an hour at night.

The pastor, Danny, who's about 23-25 or so, was amazing. Best orator I've heard in my life. Something, you just knew, had to be inspiring him to speak the way he does, as I've never heard anyone speak the way he does.

The music during worship was actually cool, considering I don't even listen to music. It was performed by a young Christian band called Until Then who works with the camp the entire summer. Really cool, funny guys from how I got to know them. They used a guitar, bass guitar, drums(the drummer used to be hardcore into Metallica until he found God and devoted his drumming and life to him. I can say that he is fulfilled just from looking at him) and a keyboard. The music was just really uplifting.

During the Worship, during the songs and the pastor's speaking, I noticed that all around me, by the 3rd day of camp, that these teenagers and adults were literally fallign to their knees, with their arms in the air, crying. They were crying for God and Jesus and because of the brokenness of the world. The pastor even started to tear up a bit as he was speaking. My youth minister even teared up as he was talking about how he strives to be a better person for God and his wife so that she won't be held back y him. And half my youth group was crying because they realizewd how broken and empty and plain bad they had been during the year, and how they wanted to change.

I, however, remained skeptical. I did not sing, or pray, or any of that. Just observed.

Yesterday was my last day at camp, and I just realized today that there is no way that God could not exist. It isn't just a set of morals or ethics or trying to be perfect. It is the fulfillment of your spiritual needs and the realization that you really don't need much to be truely happy. So even if God doesn't exist, when you die, you will know that you did not waste your life.

Of the 500 teens that attended, on the 4th night about 150 of them devoted themselves to ministry and mission work.

As for me, I'm reading the Bible front to back, and just through this faith I've gained I feel that I've gained the understanding.

UnknownWanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodeus
remember, god is the perfection, he created further perfection in his son, christ... he is the ideal by which christians world wide try to achieve... its the commitment that is made in having the faith to believe in christ that is all that is required... it is that faith to believe in something greater than just your works or yourself that elevates you in total as a human being...
You always know how to put it perfectly.

Closed Thread