General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread

Dyno
Come hither Sancho Panza, I have need of my Lance

Attacking Iran is going to seem like a better and better idea, but not for any of the reasons talked about on TV.

http://www.newsfrommars.com/2007/04/...in-us-dollars/

Quote:
Iran has stopped all oil sales in U.S. dollars

Iran’s central bank governor has reached a decision to stop selling oil using US currency. Deals have been inked with China to sell oil using the Euro. Japan has indicated their willingness to buy from Iran using Yen. China will also stop accumulating foreign currency to hold in reserve. China currently holds more than 1 trillion in foreign currency, most of which are US dollars. China’s accumulation has been vital to funding US federal budget deficits.
Ouch! I've mentioned this Oil Bourse before. It takes a while before this things finally take place. I wonder how China's dollar dump is going to take place?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...ccount-balance

Cliffs - Current Account Balances by Country - USA - #149 (last place) -$829,100,000,000.00

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

p1c4z0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
in fairness aren't all those iranians american iranians? I imagine they may have a different view of the US and Israel than those that have never left their home country

no

ಠ_ಠ

¿Que?

barking frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
Attacking Iran is going to seem like a better and better idea, but not for any of the reasons talked about on TV.

http://www.newsfrommars.com/2007/04/...in-us-dollars/

Ouch! I've mentioned this Oil Bourse before. It takes a while before this things finally take place. I wonder how China's dollar dump is going to take place?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...ccount-balance

Cliffs - Current Account Balances by Country - USA - #149 (last place) -$829,100,000,000.00
Iran is distancing itself away from the US dollar, yes, but that source is simply not reputable. Anyway, according to the sources in this wikipedia article, it's not just Iran that's reducing its exposure to the US dollar.

This is an incredibly complicated issue that's beyond my knowledge, but I still want to point out that the consequences of this are not as simple as you suggest. The US-China relationship is a double-edged sword. While China is one of the biggest financiers of US debt by purchasing US bonds, their huge foreign reserves is done to keep the yuan artificially low (by selling yuan to buy US currency), consequently making the trade deficit between China and US vastly in China's favor. The trade deficit between the two countries was over $230 billion for 2006.

Also, it's not like China is going to suddenly dump their US dollars and go buy oil with it. The yuan was revalued two years ago and is no longer strictly pegged to the US dollar, which of course was done to satisfy Washington. And China is still going to maintain a large, perhaps increasing, reserve for the foreseeable future, so the question is why would they suddenly dump the US currency for something else? Such a move would not only merely result in a significant loss of money, nor just anger Washington which has been hanging a trade tariff over its head for many years, but quite possibly result in global economic instability.

The people in charge of such vast sums of money are not politicians. Their job is to ensure a stable and healthy economy within their country which, in the case of such economic superpowers, involves global economic stability. This is in contrast to politicians who believe they benefit from destabilizing, undermining, and overthrowing other governments.

Mr. Marbles

Soros adds voice to debate over Israel lobby

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

Quote:
The billionaire investor George Soros has added his voice to a heated but little-noticed debate over the role of Israel's powerful lobby in shaping Washington policy in a way critics say hurts U.S. national interests and stifles debate.

Israel wants Iran to be next.....

Dyno
Come hither Sancho Panza, I have need of my Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by barking frog View Post
This is an incredibly complicated issue that's beyond my knowledge...

I'm with you on this, economics isn't my forte, but the trend of news and information has been clear, and you've admitted to it, that the world at large is doing what they can to distance themselves from the American dollar.

There are lots of apologists in this forum for, among other things, the US economy, that holding and operating the largest deficit in the world is a good thing and that the US is so special that all holders of US currency would never think of dumping it.

Holding on to US funds for oil is because historically US money was stable and not prone to influences. But how stable is the US economy now? How stable is the country when compared to the EEC or even China, who's economy is stable by virtue of having lots of American money?

Things remain the same until they change. Then things tend to change VERY quickly.

Badger_sly

There's way too much conspiracy in this thread.

In the world of reality, Israel is sitting by as the UN sanctions game with Iran is played out. Down the road, after increased levels of sanctions have been imposed by the UN (including China and Russia), then Israel will hit and take out Iran's nuclear facilities with air strikes. Any foolish retaliation by Iran against Israel will meet US forces parked in the Gulf and in Iraq.

Conflict possible? Yes. Inevitable? No.

barking frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
I'm with you on this, economics isn't my forte, but the trend of news and information has been clear, and you've admitted to it, that the world at large is doing what they can to distance themselves from the American dollar.

There are lots of apologists in this forum for, among other things, the US economy, that holding and operating the largest deficit in the world is a good thing and that the US is so special that all holders of US currency would never think of dumping it.

Holding on to US funds for oil is because historically US money was stable and not prone to influences. But how stable is the US economy now?
So what's your point with this? It has nothing to do with Iran.

Quote:
How stable is the country when compared to the EEC or even China, who's economy is stable by virtue of having lots of American money?

Things remain the same until they change. Then things tend to change VERY quickly.
China is growing rapidly, but that in ways is the antithesis of stability. This rapid growth has caused many in Chinese ranks to be fearful for long-term economic stability of their country, and also one reason for its continually growing national reserve (by increasing the reserve requirement to increase interest rates, to slow down growth).

Again, I'm no expert either, but I do believe you're out of your league here.

edit- also, the Chinese government has long had a policy of slow and sustainable growth and reform (one of the reasons for the Tiananmen Square protests). It most definitely is not "stable by virtue of having lots of American money."

Last edited by barking frog; 04-16-2007 at 08:08 PM..

barking frog

PiMpY
hmmmmmm whats that smell? *sniffs* ahhh smells like c0cktard. COMING FROM THIS POST!!

yes though its not going to come during this administration and i doubt it will come during the coming democratic administration even though it probably should

buut

if europe bands together (entirely possible if iran succesfully tests missiles that threaten europe and are within spitting distance of a bomb) i could see a democratic administration signing up for a gw1 style campaign.

theres also the israel card. i wouldnt be terribly surprised if israel is openly at war with syria within the next year. if iran stays true to its committments and supports syria it has the potential to draw in the US. Israel may also strike at Iran's nuclear facilities and Iran may retaliate by launching an open offensive (not merely support for the insurgency) against our forces in Iraq (this is especially likely if Israel flys over Iraq to strike Iran. whether they have the capability to strike (from the air) at Iran without doing this is hard to say).

and i guess theres the possibility that the iranians will overthrow their government but i see this as extremely unlikely

Last edited by PiMpY; 04-21-2007 at 09:01 PM..

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Hey whats going on in this thread

OH
yesterday a trap was sprung at the border to intercept Iranian supplied arms to al queda that had been tracked for days

Mr. Marbles

Quote:
"AIPAC!" was the forceful one-word answer of Congressman Michael Capuano when we asked him, "Why was the Iran clause forbidding war on Iran without Congressional approval taken out of the recent supplemental for the Iraq war funding?" I nearly fell out of my chair at his reply - not because this was news but because of who had just said it. Capuano is a close ally of Nancy Pelosi, her fixer and enforcer. That was last Friday morning when a small delegation from Cambridge and Somerville, MA, were visiting the Congressman, known for his bluntness, as part of the nationwide UFPJ (United For Peace and Justice) home lobbying effort during the Congressional recess.

Later that day, Dennis Kucinich made an appearance at Harvard, where he was asked the same question, the reason for removing the Iran provision. "AIPAC," I volunteered out loud. Kucinich looked my way and said, "Exactly." Again my chair almost failed to contain me

http://www.counterpunch.org/walsh04172007.html

Quote:
Admiral Thomas Moorer, former Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, has spoken with blunt exasperation about the Jewish-Israeli hold on the United States: [15]

I've never seen a President — I don't care who he is — stand up to them [the Israelis]. It just boggles the mind. They always get what they want. The Israelis know what is going on all the time. I got to the point where I wasn't writing anything down. If the American people understood what a grip those people have got on our government, they would rise up in arms. Our citizens certainly don't have any idea what goes on

http://www.ihr.org/leaflets/jewishlobby.shtml

barking frog

Quote:
Admiral Thomas Moorer, former Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, has spoken with blunt exasperation about the Jewish-Israeli hold on the United States: [15]

I've never seen a President — I don't care who he is — stand up to them [the Israelis]. It just boggles the mind. They always get what they want. The Israelis know what is going on all the time. I got to the point where I wasn't writing anything down. If the American people understood what a grip those people have got on our government, they would rise up in arms. Our citizens certainly don't have any idea what goes on
That pretty much sums it up.

http://www.ussliberty.org/
Quote:
"The day after the attack, President Johnson, bristling with irritation, said to me, 'The New York Times put that attack on the Liberty on an inside page. It should have been on the front page!'

I had no role in the board of inquiry that followed, or the board's finding that there could be no doubt that the Israeli's knew exactly what they were doing in attacking the Liberty. I have yet to understand why it was felt necessary to attack this ship or who ordered the attack."
-- CIA Director Richard Helms

"Never before in the history of the United States Navy has a Navy Board of Inquiry ignored the testimony of American military eyewitnesses and taken, on faith, the word of their attackers.
-- Captain Richard F. Kiepfer, Medical Corps, US Navy (retired), USS Liberty Survivor
No successful American politician would dare go against the interests of Israel. American media is another story altogether.

Last edited by barking frog; 04-21-2007 at 11:37 PM..

ZombieLenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Nothing short of full compliance with IAEA inspectors or a ground invasion would be able to eliminate Irans nuclear program.

Better training, equipment, numbers and move favourable terrain than Iraq, and also an 11 million strong paramilitary to act as a ready made insurgency once the conventional war is over. Ground invasion sounds fun.

ZombieLenin

Quote:
if europe bands together (entirely possible if iran succesfully tests missiles that threaten europe and are within spitting distance of a bomb) i could see a democratic administration signing up for a gw1 style campaign.
Not going to happen. Europe isn't looking for another war, and most of us feel we could deter an Iranian missile attack anyway. But why would the Iranians hit Europe anyway?

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLenin View Post
Better training, equipment, numbers and move favourable terrain than Iraq, and also an 11 million strong paramilitary to act as a ready made insurgency once the conventional war is over. Ground invasion sounds fun.

Closed Thread