General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
vegetarian is vegetarian. which means eating plant derived foods and not animal derived foods.

The reason someone chooses to be one has no impact on what the meaning of vegetarian is.

It does not matter what the motivation is. If they eat animal products they are by definition NOT vegetarian.

This is not complicated.

Why are people trying to make it so?

Are we going to follow Coqui down the inevitable path of reduction to absurdity that he started? Are we going to take into consideration that some of the plants we eat has single celled or even multi cell animals living on it and thus if we swallow them does it make us not vegetarians?

Vegans go down to that level. I'm now applying the logic you applied to the consumption of items.

They either say they're vegetarian or they have to go through a 25 minute conversation explaining that they're not a vegetarian but they don't eat meat.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

The logic I applied was if you eat animal products you are not vegetarian.

Once again. Pretty simple. No reduction to absurdity needed.

Coqui

Quote:
The logic I applied was if you eat animal products you are not vegetarian.

Once again. Pretty simple. No reduction to absurdity needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in your eyes, the only difference between a vegan and a vegetarian is the fact that a vegetarian can wear a leather coat correct?

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Why would the goal be to eat an unfertilized egg? It's still an animal product and NOT a vegetable product. Thus, anyone eating eggs cant really be considered vegetarian by any reasonable standard.
So we've established that eggs are an animal product (as opposed to an animal), which puts them in the same category as milk. So...

(1) Are vegetarians allowed to drink milk?
(2) If vegetarians are allowed to drink milk or consume milk-derived products (cheese/butter/yogurt/etc) why can't they eat eggs also?

Gibonius

This is a pretty stupid discussion, because there is no one authoritative definition of "vegetarian." Vegan is a lot more clear, but there are many degrees of vagueness of vegetarian, which is why we have terms like "lacto-ovo vegetarian" and such.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
This is a pretty stupid discussion, because there is no one authoritative definition of "vegetarian." Vegan is a lot more clear, but there are many degrees of vagueness of vegetarian, which is why we have terms like "lacto-ovo vegetarian" and such.

Not to Morlock. Which is why I'm trying to find out if vegetarians are just vegans who can wear leather or not. He says that I'm going overboard, but I don't think he realizes, all the stuff I mention is exactly what vegans act like when it comes to the consumption of food.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Not to Morlock. Which is why I'm trying to find out if vegetarians are just vegans who can wear leather or not. He says that I'm going overboard, but I don't think he realizes, all the stuff I mention is exactly what vegans act like when it comes to the consumption of food.

It's Morlock, what would you expect?

ephekt

Quote:
The process of making wine and beer involves fish bladders. Capsules contain gelatin.
I've been homebrewing for 10 years and participated in/watched plenty microbrew demos, and I've never seen or touched a fish bladder.

ephekt

Quote:
vegetarian is vegetarian. which means eating plant derived foods and not animal derived foods.

The reason someone chooses to be one has no impact on what the meaning of vegetarian is.

It does not matter what the motivation is. If they eat animal products they are by definition NOT vegetarian.

This is not complicated.

Why are people trying to make it so?

Are we going to follow Coqui down the inevitable path of reduction to absurdity that he started? Are we going to take into consideration that some of the plants we eat has single celled or even multi cell animals living on it and thus if we swallow them does it make us not vegetarians?
Beyond 'does not eat meat' the definition of vegetarianism is completely arbitrary. Colloquially, it's generally understood to mean that one does not eat mean and little else. It only makes sense to base any arguments off the most commonly held definition.

Also, I don't think you understand the concept behind reductio ad absurdum, and I'm 99% sure you're just trolling, so good day.

Toadxx

healthy

Restricted_

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
I've been homebrewing for 10 years and participated in/watched plenty microbrew demos, and I've never seen or touched a fish bladder.

It's mostly used in larger breweries, but I'm sure you've heard of at least the use of isinglass in the making of beer and wine

ephekt

Quote:
It's mostly used in larger breweries, but I'm sure you've heard of at least the use of isinglass in the making of beer and wine
I actually haven't. Home/microbrewers don't filter or add adjuncts to their beer (and rightfully so).

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
it seems to me that no one was suggesting eating only beef. But you let out your inner troll pretending they did and cant get it to go back in the closet.

Figured that was obvious.
I said no such thing, but then again a seasoned alcoholic with brain atrophy might get that impression. Fuck, with the delirium tremens you deal in a consistant basis that's the least we can expect from you.
Quote:
But you dance so divinely, can you do the bosanova?
Perhaps you should lern2speel bossa nova before you try to get all cute, you stupid fucking RETARD

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

did you say no such thing or did you not say that you didn't say that you said no such thing? Taking lessons from postal goatchode I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Japs are very healthy too (infact probably the healthiest on the planet), but they don't really eat meat that much, other than fish of course. While I'm not going to discuss the ethos of eating ANY meat be it fish or giraffe, inuit diet suggests a big amount of fish, and it's hardly any conclusive "evidence" that eating beef 24/7/365 is healthy(*), like some people here seem to suggest.

(*)not really suggesting you in particular are saying this.