General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Skyring

The age of the warrior?

So, with the popularity of ufc and other MMA fights I find more and more people every day claiming that they know some jujitsu muithai or some other combination of martial arts they read about or have a friend that did it once upon a time. Does this mean that street fights will become more intense or is it all some bu...llshit that is going to blow over in a few years? The age of the warrior or just another fad?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

They "say" they know it because they watched it on TV. Saying and doing are two different things. I had this discussion with a buddy of mine one night, because I used to do some boxing back in the day, and I was arguing with him about how boxing is a great self defense discipline, to which he countered "watch UFC, they take it to the ground, blah blah blah". Yes, but 99% of the population doesn't know how/would get knocked out trying to attempt it/is too fucking out of shape to last a round.

Intuitiv

I dunno, the way I viewed it is when I was young the entertainment sport for kids and rednecks was WWF/WCW, now society is so F-ed up that they the young kids/rednecks have to see actual violence with real blood, ala MMA

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

I know Click Ching Pow

Skyring

Possible but you dont ALWAYS have a gun no matter what.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Well thats when Glug Crack Wham comes in useful

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

the age of commercialized dudes beating each other up...

it's not new.

people will even pay good money to watch dudes pretend to beat each other up.

Skyring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
the age of commercialized dudes beating each other up...

it's not new.

people will even pay good money to watch dudes pretend to beat each other up.

Martial arts has always had some popularity and sure we all know about gladiators among other things but I have never witnessed a store full of traditional robes and belts nor gladius and nets. With that being said I was put into a sloppy but effective arm bar a few weeks ago while wrestling with a friend that, a few years ago, knew nothing about it.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

So, in other news, some of the bloodthirst has shifted from boxing (a somewhat onedimensional striking sport), to MMA (which offers some more variety and can be argued to be a more of a somewhat "realistic" sport). No difference really.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuitiv View Post
I dunno, the way I viewed it is when I was young the entertainment sport for kids and rednecks was WWF/WCW, now society is so F-ed up that they the young kids/rednecks have to see actual violence with real blood, ala MMA

As opposed to what? Wrestlers blading each other in TV shows and making promos regarding necrophilia? Or the gentleman's sport, boxing, where you take 500 jabs a night in your face for a decade and become a stuttering wreck?

That sociery is fucked up-excuse stinks. If you don't like it, or don't like your kids watching it, how about you don't fucking order the PPV and do what parents in general are supposed to do?

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyring View Post
Martial arts has always had some popularity and sure we all know about gladiators among other things but I have never witnessed a store full of traditional robes and belts nor gladius and nets. With that being said I was put into a sloppy but effective arm bar a few weeks ago while wrestling with a friend that, a few years ago, knew nothing about it.

The fact you don't see that many traditional martial arts shops as opposed to the just bleed skullandtribal shirt bull shit that infests the world these days is for other reasons. For one, traditional disciplines have different ideas on what you're supposed to wear. There's not much volume in such things, as dojos/dojangs/gyms generally order bulk and sell from there. I doubt you see many stores that carry rashguards only. Which brings us to the second point, you don't go around walking with a judogi on. Those goofy looking fucking goth "MMA" shirts are considered somewhat normal clothing. Over half of that garbage they sell are the kind of things you wouldn't even know are related to MMA if you didn't know it from some other connection. Third, that shit is for some reason I guess, "fashionable". It's pretty equivalent to the idiots that but some ass looking Ed Hardy shirts.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

wat..is this Pit worthy?

Anyway, I think the whole UFC/MMA etc..is just a fad that has already peaked just like the street racer/riceboy shit back the late 90's early 00's. When you see tons of teenage male retards with gigantic TAPOUT!!!!1 stickers on the back windows of their ricemobiles, you know the demise is drawing near..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Electrikfuzz050

Yeah, why is this in the pit?

Seriously though, it's a sport. It looks good on television. It isn't an actual self-defense method.

Vandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
Yeah, why is this in the pit?

Seriously though, it's a sport. It looks good on television. It isn't an actual self-defense method.

How "self-defense" worthy can something be if people are getting paid millions of dollars to talk shit about each other and then arrange matches to beat each other up?

Also, they even have T.V. shows where people compete by living in a house and training together... in order to get on the big screen and fuck other people's faces up.

It's tough guy , and it's pretty laughable. How much different is UFC from WWF/WWE? A little less dramatic as far as characters go, but all the same . They put on their meanest looking face, walk out, stare each other down, then beat each other up.

I definitely like being able to defend myself in case something goes down, but this is different. Maybe if we drop these athletes in Afghanistan or somewhere they'll need to really use those skills for self-defense, they'd realize what a joke it really is.

cokezeroholic

If I see another skinny 15 year old boy with a TapOut shirt